HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everybody,

So three days ago I recently bought a new Hk P2000sk 9mm V3 at a local gunshop. What worries me though is that the gun is proofmarked for 2009. A part of me is wondering whether I really got a brand new gun or not. How would I be able to tell? What kind of items should come in the box? I noticed there was limited paperwork i.e. no NRA card or firearms record thing.

I know it might sound like I'm being overly cautious but another thing that worried me was that he gave me the floor model in the case. I guess they had no backstock of the pistol. Is it common dealing with guns to pay tag price for a showroom model?

I'm sure it will shoot just fine but it sucks because I justified spending as much as I did ($1050 in CA) for what I thought was a BNIB gun but it turns out it was made in 2009, might not have been brand new, and it was a demo model. Any info would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
You should have checked gunbroker. You would have saved a 150-200 dollars. Floor models sale for the same as one stored on a back shelf if they are new. This gun could have been new old stock. If it was a demo then you got a bad deal. One of the best places to see what HK's are going for on the market is here on the forum and gunbroker.com. In the box you should have got a warranty card, manual, spent cartridge stored in a small manila envelope and a gun lock. Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
You bought it. It's yours. Stop obsessing about who has touched it or if it spoiled sitting on the shelf. It's common for pistols to sit on the shelf waiting to ship out of the distributor. It's not a gallon of milk. They don't throw the old ones out when the new ones are made. You wanted a P2000sk, you found one and paid what the price was to bring it home and make it yours. Load it. Shoot it. Clean it. Repeat. Enjoy your new pistol and stop trying to find a reason to not enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
You bought it. It's yours. Stop obsessing about who has touched it or if it spoiled sitting on the shelf. It's common for pistols to sit on the shelf waiting to ship out of the distributor. It's not a gallon of milk. They don't throw the old ones out when the new ones are made. You wanted a P2000sk, you found one and paid what the price was to bring it home and make it yours. Load it. Shoot it. Clean it. Repeat. Enjoy your new pistol and stop trying to find a reason to not enjoy it.
Well said.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brownie,
That is excellent advice that I could apply to more areas of my life than just firearms. I guess I do have a tendency to obsess about things like that.

This is my first time buying a gun new in-store (my first two were online-sale FFL transfers), and I rarely spend this much on anything.

But yeah, thanks for all the replies though. And when I get it home next week I will still check to see if it has the warranty card, manual, spent cartridge and a gun lock (I'm still on my 10-day California waiting period). Can't wait to shoot it! Hell, can't wait to take it down for the first time.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
You'll love it. Forget what you paid. It's a done deal so you can't un-ring the bell. Remember that when you buy from a sticks and bricks store that you're going to probably pay a bit more. They have to pay the rent and expenses somehow so there's going to be some of that passed on. It's the trade-off for getting to handle and inspect exactly what you're getting prior to purchase. That's why I love finding a good deal on a lightly used firearm. There's some good deals to be had. Obviously being in CA is a different ball game. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I recently bought a NIB SK dated AF (2005) and i have no problem that it sat for so long.

It needed a good home and i got a great deal on it!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Guess i lucked out…recently found & purchased a BA (2010) date coded "sk" on gunbroker.com. Purchased it from LEO, who special ordered it from HK (GA) to be his BUG for his duty P2000 (told me he's selling it because he can't part with his current J frame as his BUG). The seller told me he waited 2 months for it to be imported from Germany. It is a .40 with the Light LEM (ordered from factory) and Tru Dot night sights. I also got two P2000 12 round magazines & an X-grip for $887 ($75 for FFL transfer). Took mags apart and they were spotless! Don't know about you…BUT I'M HAPPY!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I work at a large gun store in New Mexico. We always sell the customers the guns in the boxes that are untouched. However, if we run out of stock and only have the display model we always ask the customer if they would like it. If they prefer the new gun in the box that has not been on display we simply ask them to check back with us when we get a new shipment of guns in. We don't sell them the floor model without letting them know that's what they're getting. I bought one of our floor models, which was the P30. They don't get harmed sitting on our display, but we have to have something to let the customers look at and handle to see if they like it. We discount our firearms quite a bit, and cannot afford to take more off of the sale price simply because people looked at them. Good luck with your new HK.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Hey everybody,

I know it might sound like I'm being overly cautious but another thing that worried me was that he gave me the floor model in the case. I guess they had no backstock of the pistol. Is it common dealing with guns to pay tag price for a showroom model?
I haven't seen many gunstores have a stock of pistols besides what is displayed.......especially HK's as they're kind of a pain to sell compared to what else is out there.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I haven't seen many gunstores have a stock of pistols besides what is displayed.......especially HK's as they're kind of a pain to sell compared to what else is out there.
+1... Lol I have to drive a hour from my house to fondle and buy HK's... and all they have is whats on the shelves, most dealers I know hate dealing with HK but like taking 1000+ off of me. I brought my P2000 in the summer of 2010 but the date code was AK... and I brought my HK45c two weeks ago and the date code is AK as well. I got the spent casings, warranty card and propaganda. Only thing different was my HK45c mags are new USP .45 compact mags and the lock wasn't a HK lock.

Also, not to be a di**, but you paid 1050 for a P2000sk? Ouch! Maybe that's how they mark them up in Cali but wow dude. I paid gunbroker prices for both my HK's, got them off the shelf and went home with them that day.

Either way congrats on your HK.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
. . .Also, not to be a di**, but you paid 1050 for a P2000sk? Ouch! Maybe that's how they mark them up in Cali but wow dude. I paid gunbroker prices for both my HK's, got them off the shelf and went home with them that day.

Either way congrats on your HK.
Haha, yeah it worked out to $909 + CA tax + Registration. And $909 was the cheapest price I could find in a 50 mile radius! I usually buy online but can no longer find a shop in Cali that doesn't charge a $75 to $150 FFL transfer fee. And now most shops like to collect CA state tax on top of the transfer. I ended up paying $400 out the door for my $264 Ruger MKIII that I bought from Impactguns.com

But anyhow, thanks man. I rented an SK at the range a couple months back and ever since then it left a real good impression on me. It grouped better for me than the G26 that I shot (a nice vertical strip all within a 3" target @ 7yds) but thats most likely because I prefer the DA/SA trigger. I still need to get used to the ergos (trigger guard mag release and different slide stop). Overall though I got the impression of quality. I'm pretty excited and it's good to hear I have nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
A part of me is wondering whether I really got a brand new gun or not. How would I be able to tell?
This thread got into a price discussion, but one semi-reliable way to tell if it's unfired is a heavy grease up under the slide. Factory preservative grease... not lubrication. Clean well before use.

Good choice. I have a P2000SK V3 and have found it very reliable and accurate.

AWD

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey Jack, you got a better deal than me, date code wise. I bought my "AI" SK no more than a month ago, and it was also a floor model.

I, however, did try to bargain with the shop person very nicely and ended up paying $855 out the door, with factory installed night sights.

I used to live in Southern California, by the beach. I don't think I'll ever return. If S does hit the F, I bet you folks in CA or NY will be up for slaughter (due to their domesticated population), while states that respect the 2nd Amendment will actually have citizens who can defend themselves.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I bought two new HKs last fall (fall of 2010) from reputable dealers. Neither had been a showroom sample. AI and AK proof dates. (2008 and 2009) Both are LEM.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Whoa Dask...You need to reevaluate that whole "slaughter" comment. Now, if you're talking about LA or SF, I'll agree with you. You get into the central valley or (god forbid) the foothills...Armageddon.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Congratulations on your new SK!! Yesterday my son and I went to the range and shot over $120 in assorted ammo with an assortment of guns. Afterwards, we went to Hooters and spent about $40 on hot wings, cheese sticks, and curly fries. Finally, we went and saw Battle: Los Angeles at the movies costing another $40 or so including popcorn and cokes. One of the best days of my life. In other words, in the long run, spending a couple extra, or less bucks for your SK doesn't mean a thing!

Go out and shoot it, enjoy it, and don't look back. Happy shooting!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts