HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all... First post... I have been a long time Glock user and just got my first HK product yesterday (HK45). I took it to the range and loaded two mags with 5 rounds of white Winchester White Box 185. The first three shots of the first mag all failed to eject and then the second clip did the same (3 rounds). I talked to the store where I bought the gun and they were shocked... They said it could be the stiff spring that just
needs breaking in or a combination of that plus the 185 ammo. I then bought some 230 grain ammo and it worked better but still had the occasional failure to eject and more often (about 40%) slide not locking. I am aware about people putting their thumb on the slide lock lever but I dont think I am doing that... Also, the locking block (the bottom 1/5) is showing some wearing already... is this normal?

Last thing... Unlike the Glock the spring on the HK45 is more noisey (sounds like squeaking) when I rack the slide... Is this normal? Just need to break it in?

I love this gun just want to make sure that with the 1k price tag that all these "issues" are normal!

I have put 150 rounds through this .45 yesterday.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I, personally, haven't heard of any kind of break in period for a HK45. I haven't had any problems with mine, after 500+ rounds.

First, did you clean the shipping grease out of the pistol before shooting it for the first time?

Second, definitely shoot some 230gr quality rounds through it.

Next, have somebody else try shooting it to see if the problem is you or the gun.

As for not locking back...my money is on you and your thumbs being the issue. Try shooting it one-handed to see if it continues to fail to lock back.

And the wear on the block, by the serial number??? It's normal...

Enjoy that awesome piece of German engineering.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Also, the locking block (the bottom 1/5) is showing some wearing already... is this normal?
Normal

Last thing... Unlike the Glock the spring on the HK45 is more noisey (sounds like squeaking) when I rack the slide... Is this normal? Just need to break it in?
I actually had more Glocks BNIB make the squeaking sound from the RSA than HK's, I'm going to say it's normal. Remember the recoil guide rod on Glocks are plastic and on HK's they aren't (I don't know if they are technically metal/steel but I know it's not plastic). So maybe this is contributing to the sound. I never heard of a HK45 that needs broken in but maybe that's what it needs... remember the HK45 is built to take 20,000 punishing rounds of .45 acp (and actually went 50,000 rounds) and it is built to withstand the devastating +p rounds also, so these over engineered springs and parts might need a little more than 5 rounds of 185 grain .45 acp.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking cleaning off the factory goop. Did you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. I took it home and cleaned the whole pistol with frog lube before I shot it... I was then thinking maybe it was something I did since I have never reassembled an HK before...

·
Registered
307 Posts
WWB ammo is known to be crappy. I had some where all the powder didn't burn and was all over the inside of my Beretta 92FS and mags. Got a box of American Eagle and shot fine after that.

Try some quality ammo and shoot maybe a hundred rounds or so.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Glad to hear it. Enjoy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Chris:

My first post too.

Two days ago I bought my first HK45 LEM, and had exactly the same problem of failure to eject and no lockback with all 10 rounds from Sellier and Bellot 230 gr factory ammo. I then tried one round of low power reloads, which had the same felt recoil and same result. I then remembered that I bought the S&B 3 years ago because it was low power.

Problem solved -- I ran a magazine of American Eagle full power thru the gun without a hickup.

Solution: Don't use low power ammo, just like the manual says.

--Grant

1 - 10 of 10 Posts