HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and DAMN this rifle's beefy :laugh_sma

11lb, 13.6OZ fresh out the box, no mag.

I plan on doing a quite detailed, full review over the course of the coming days and weeks, but here's my initial thoughts so far:

Rifle appears to have been QC'ed and test fired. Manufacture date in January 2017

The rifle shipped in a decent hard case with one suplus mag included. Mag stamped 10/82

The rifle was quite oily, but otherwise the finish was excellent and after tidying up a bit looks pristine. The rifle did come with a Harris Bipod already attached, and a Magpul PRS stock. Being my first experience with a PRS stock, I must say that it's absolutely freaking awesome...although it's a heavy sucker. Feels SUPER tight, and the adjustment knobs to raise the cheekpiece and extend the length of pull are really, really hard to turn at first, but they appear to be loosening up a bit already.

Otherwise the fit and finish look pretty great so far. The welds around the cocking tube are very clean (exceptionally cleaner than a Cetme I used to own), and the mag fits nice and tight in the magwell and locks in solid. The rifle does have the paddle mag release of course.

The handguard is aluminum but also quite beefy itself...it feels extremely solid and quite robust. The barrel does indeed appear to not touch the handguard at all, which is a good omen for accuracy potential I would hope. Tough to see via this picture but there's is a bit of dalylight between the barrel and handguard, and nothing touches the barrel other than the triple frame. The barrel is nicely fluted and looks clean, although the fluting isn't very deep.

The trigger is definitely nothing to write home about, but I'll describe it as best I can. It's a two stage pull, with a light first stage (about 5mm of travel in this stage), then the second stage is creepy, stacks a bit, then breaks pretty cleany. I don't have a trigger weight gauge, but think of it like a heavier Bren 805 type of pull and you get the idea. Best guess would put the pull weight around 8-10lb range...not ideal for precision shooting and has a very mil-spec feel to it, but it's not the worst trigger I've ever felt, it's not great though.

Yeah, did I mention this bastard is heavy? With the scope, mount, and a loaded 20 round mag, the rifle tipped the scale slightly over 15lbs. Definitely suited for the "Perimeter sniper rifle" or DMR role I would think...

Otherwise the rifle is immaculate, and the nicest PTR I've ever laid eyes on personally. I've got the rifle topped for now with a Primary Arms 1-8x ACSS scope and SWFA SSALT scope mount, and will do some load and accuracy testing. Fortunately this particular scope mount DOES allow you to see through the iron sights, so the setup is actually very nice. I also may run it against my AR-308 build to compare and contrast accuracy and feel just to give it some perspective in the market as well. Here's a preview of what I'll be shooting...

Here's a few glamour shots...

·
Banned
60 Posts
Now that's what I call an awesome first post on the forum that you have been a member of for nearly eight years without a single post!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been out of the HK world for awhile actually...I once owned a Cetme that initially drew me in but sold it and move onto other designs (AK's and AR's mainly). I've always been into HK's and used to lurk this forum quite a bit back in the day. I'll try to update this thread with more details and a full fledged review over time, because there's hardly any info out in the wild about these rifles.

Here's my old Cetme before I got rid of it...

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
It's looks very nice. Please post info about its accuracy when available.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Very nice. I have one of those stocks on one of my FAL's and really like it. Anxious to hear how it shoots - what range of bullet weights will you be testing out?

·
Registered
125 Posts
That looks really beautiful! Congrats! I heard PTR was having some production issues related to their facility move - is that all sorted now? Are they back to producing rifles?

·
Registered
43 Posts
A quality trigger is a must for a precision rifle. Is there anything that can be done for these rifle? Gunsmithing or aftermarket support?
Williams Triggers and Bill Springfield do trigger jobs for about $75. Williams' customer reports are more consistently positive so some time I'll get around to sending them parts. Williams also does set triggers for $200-$300.

Several companies are working on lowers which take your favorite AR15 fire control group and grip. Brethern's are/will be pistol calibers first with rifle calibers following. I haven't a clue whether the move to .308 is just changing the CNC programming to cut a longer tang with a second hole plus ejector swap or something more involved.

PSG-1 triggers are reportedly good. While the trigger group is very expensive, the total package is OK with a PTR-91 FR plus PSG-1 lower still $500-$1000 less than a SCAR-H and not out of line with a nice large-frame AR. If my salary ever increased more than my expenses I'd treat myself.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Well, @ 18" don't waste $$ on anything over 155gr.

Standard quality NATO fodder will be your best bet overall, maybe lay in some A-Max for SHTF times.

Content yourself with placed shots at 600m or less.

DG

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
My jld91k DMR setup

Nice rifle, I have had great 600yrd success with reloading 155g a-max and faster to midrange burn rate powders. I had Bill Spring do my trigger and then I polished and worked a little more magic to it.Its a very nice 4lb clean single stage. Msg90 buffer inside the AR buffer tube, Vortex 10x pst viper w/EBR reticle.Enjoy bro, congrats and welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Looking good

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Small update:

Hit the range today mainly just to try and break the rifle in a bit, run a decent number of rounds through it and check for function. No formal accuracy testing was done just yet, as I was shooting mainly at 50 yards through the irons. Tested a few different surplus mags, and through roughly 150 rounds so far I've had 2 malfunctions, which I've documented. They occurred while shooting 147gr ZQI 7.62x51...

And the other...

I remember having similar malfunctions when I first shot my Cetme years ago...so I'm thinking it's either mag related or just something to expect during break in, so I'm not sweating it too much.

Outside of those two malfucntions, the rifle shot pretty nicely. I removed the stock flash hider and installed a Strike Industries king comp in it's place to lighten the recoil a bit, and it's working out well so far.

About that trigger...I don't profess to be the greatest shooter in the world (Astigmatism and VERY poor eyesight defintiely don't help :laugh_sma) , but I do feel that it will definitely take some getting used to. It seems to be slowly getting a bit better actually, which is good because fresh out the box it was abit gritty and seemed to stack a bit before breaking. After using it a bit, the stacking isn't nearly as pronounced, and the grittyness seems to be smoothing out, so that's raised my hopes a bit. I didn't really want to test for accuracy just yet due to the feeling this may happen, but I'll follow up likely Saturday with some formal accuracy testing. Otherwise shooting the rifle is a real pleasure so far, but I'll save my final thoughts about it after putting a few hundred more rounds down range.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
The creep in the trigger is due to the angle of the sear face that pushes the hammer slightly back before it disengages. Some very light filing on the hammers engagement area will let it just slip off ,instead of putting the extra tension on it; which is what cause the hammer to move back before disengagement( creep).Check your Bolt gap and make sure your ejector lever is riding clean thru your bolt heads bottom slot. Clean the factory grease out of the fluted chambers. I use a 12 gauge swab on a bent cleaning rod and ream the crap out of it. Enjoy, and let us know.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts