HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my brand new Classic Black PTR 91 today. At first glance, beautifull. Nice welds, awsome finish. When I got it home to field strip and clean prior to first shooting, I noticed the inside of the receiver had LOTS of red rusty corrosion everywhere. Only the receiver insides are corroded. Not the bolt group, cocking tube or barrel. Spent a good hour trying to clean it up. This thing appears to be beyond my repair. Too many nooks and crainies I can't get. Ive treated more than my fair share of corrosion after spending more than 20 years in the Navy. I'm pretty sure PTR wont be able to repair this thing to my satisfaction. Corrosion in places that are untreatable. Can anyone tell me what I may expect from PTR customer service ?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had a ptr 16 inch tactical handguard and the threading on it got stripped from regular tightening, they did replace the whole thing if that has anything to say about it. The only thing you can do is give them a call our talk to the person you got it from.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Have to agree, call, oil the inside of the receiver and leave it as is and unfired (less cleaning is better from getting something done). That said, if the barrel and trunnion is good, the gun is probably ok to shoot and use if kept oily - but not what you were after.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can any PTR1 owners tell me if the inside of their receivers are parkerized ? Mine is not. Raw unprotected high carbon steel will always rust.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Mine all APPEAR to be finished just like the outside, but are NOT real shiny and smooth! (NO RUST APPEARING ANYWHERE!!)
Good Luck with PTR!! I HOPE their service has improved since a while back.
I know that I will never buy anything else from them, although now VERY happy with what I do have.
Had to do the work myself,though!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Use Kroil on the inside and if the gun is new call PTR. Most of these guns (not sure about PTR) are parkerized before final finish which is a dip process so the inside is as the outside. Primarily for final finish adherance. I believe PTR powdercoats the exterior, at least all I have from them are. Parkerization will rust but you have to be pretty agressive to achieve it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New guy here,
Picked up my 'NEW" PTR-91 GI from my ffl yesterday, looked great in the store, got it home and tore her down and CRAP! the bore looked as if it was a 50 yr old muzzleloader that hadn't been cleaned.Since I had already taken ownership of the rifle I am told it is my baby and it's up to me to take care of it. Well....I had some good luck and contacted PTR, they are going to put on a new barrel, and some bad luck, 6 to 8 weeks before I get my rifle back. This really sucks! Hell I had a hard time waiting the 1 week to get it the first time. Learned a big lesson here, just when I thought I was to old to learn new tricks/lessons. They (PTR) told me they let go the inspector who's name was on the inspection sheet. I wonder how many others are out there like mine, waiting for an unsuspecting buyer.

·
Registered
152 Posts
New guy here,
Picked up my 'NEW" PTR-91 GI from my ffl yesterday, looked great in the store, got it home and tore her down and CRAP! the bore looked as if it was a 50 yr old muzzleloader that hadn't been cleaned.Since I had already taken ownership of the rifle I am told it is my baby and it's up to me to take care of it. Well....I had some good luck and contacted PTR, they are going to put on a new barrel, and some bad luck, 6 to 8 weeks before I get my rifle back. This really sucks! Hell I had a hard time waiting the 1 week to get it the first time. Learned a big lesson here, just when I thought I was to old to learn new tricks/lessons. They (PTR) told me they let go the inspector who's name was on the inspection sheet. I wonder how many others are out there like mine, waiting for an unsuspecting buyer.
I took delivery a ptr91 2 wks ago in the exact condition as your rifle. My bore was filled with rust and looked like a sewer pipe. Got the rust out only to find the bore is pitted pretty bad. I have a call tag but need to find a box that it will fit into send it back. They will need to replace he barrel also. I can't for the life of me figure out how this made it out the door. Also, the must be test firing with corrosive ammo, no way this was from storage, plus mine was a build to order rifle. So $1000 out the door, hopefully I will get this back soon and it will be correct, glad I paid via CC. I am a huge PTR fan, this was my 5th 91 but I am sorry this was 100% avoidable. I would suggest anyone ordering a new ptr 91 have the dealer/distributor inspect the insides. The exterior of mine was fine, they did manage to F up the buffer screw slots and gouge the buffer pretty badly. I still recommend them but they need to fire somebody as this is costing them a lot too. See photos below. Those are the patches I ran through he bore after taking it out of the case. Yes that's rust all over the towel and patches. The patches were not cutting it and I had to go to a brush. After 10 mins wi e brush I sprayed gun scrubber down the bore and ran another patch, when I shined the bore light down the barrel was when I saw all the pitting. Such a pain.

·
Registered
61 Posts
OP, I'm glad you did come to the "internet pundits" or we may not have been aware of depth of this apparent QC issue. This type of post often turns into a manufacturer/builder pile on, or conversely, an internet assault by the "fanboys". I hope PTR takes care of all you guys in a timely fashion, and addresses the QC issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Crap I just realized this thread was 2 yrs old, I just saw a sept date and did not see the year. How does this still happen two years later? To all I love my Ptr rifles, 4 out of 5 of them are fine. This one must have slipped by.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My receiver was beginning to rust on the inside when I bought it new. The rifle was manufactured in June 2013. Sent back to PTR. They refinished it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts