HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my brand new SP5K out to the range today and it did not feed properly after the first shot. I ended up firing about 30 rounds through it one at a time after clearing it each time. I used Remington UMC 115 FMJ. I have read the posts that say UMC is too weak and that you need to run P+ through it to "break it in", but the fact that it didn't seem to come close to feeding properly the whole time, makes me think just using a slightly beefier charge isn't going to do it. The rounds fit really tight in the mag. Is that normal? I have trouble pushing the rounds out with my thumb. That seems odd, but if it isn't even ejecting the cartridge, I don't think that is it. I will go pick up some hot rounds and try it again next weekend I suppose. This was highly disappointing. I was so excited to try it out today. I never had to worry about what type of ammo to use on my Taurus. In fact, I have never had a malfunction on it in years with all sorts of ammo. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

·
Registered
532 Posts
First off, welcome aboard. I would expect a new SP5K to feed just about anything, but if you didnt break it down, clean ot, and lube it properly that could be partly to blame. The light oil it ships with is for anti-rust in storage, and it should run CLP or LSA oil in operation. That said, the oil likely isn't your problem.

Buy quality ammo if you want the gun to run reliably. Cheap, bulk, Value-Pack ammo is notorious for being the absolute lower range of pressure and quality to cycle MOST guns. You don't need to shoot Gold Medal Match in it, but you shouldn't be shooting the cheapest stuff you can find, either.

I run heavier 147gr 9mm in all of my guns, and it's been flawless for about 400rnds in my SP5K so far, not a single misfeed or failure to fire. There should be no break-in period on your new pistol - that's only for clones with misaligned receiver channels and gritty parkerized bolt carriers that need to bang-off the high spots before they'll run well. Your factory German gun has none of those issues,

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Welcome! Sorry to hear you're having troubles, that's always a bummer. To be clear, it wasn't feeding the new round or wasn't ejecting the spent casing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The exact sequence would be load mag, first shot fires, no eject, slide bolt to clear, maybe the next one fires but everything gets jammed up or just a click and I have to clear everything and start again.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Understand that;
1) The SP5K is a civilian semi-auto version of a military sub-machine gun.
2) Any 9mm can have issues with 115 gr weak target fodder out of the box .

Personally, I bought 500 rounds of German MEN 124 (NATO) and 500 Winchester 124 NATO FMJs for break-in.
Ran all 1000 rounds, plus 200 Federal HST 147 JHPs, in about 45 minutes.
Even with full power ammo experienced multiple FTFs during the first ~200.
After that it was clear sailing :biggrin:
The gun appeared to run smoother and eject better all the way.
Last 500 ran smooth as silk and the gun was sighted in dead on from the factory :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,835 Posts
I have had problems with that particular ammo as well as Winchester White Box. I use Winchester 124 NATO or Federal American Eagle 115 or 124's all the time and have great luck and the ammo is cheap. My first choice for cheap practice ammo is Winchester 124 NATO it always works and can be purchased online for $200-230 per 1000 rounds. Your gun is new, stiff and needs to be broke in with higher velocity ammo. After it has some age on it and it is clean you might be able to run that garbage ammo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just cleaned it and it was pretty spotless. It seemed clean and well oiled, but I went ahead and gave it a good cleaning and oiling. I also bought some p+ 147 grain ammo to try. I am worried I may need to call h&k but I will give this a shot.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'll bet you it runs just fine on the heavier ammo of higher quality. Actually, the heavier bullets will have a higher recoil impulse (one of Newton's laws) and will probably solve it that easily. If the different, heavier amoo works well, see if ou can find the heavier bullets in the original ammo brand you tried and see what happens. Would be curious if that matters,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried both mags that came with it, and the results were exactly the same. I need to try to get back to the range this week to try the p+.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the exact same happen to me. I tried running 115gr Freedom munitions ammo that I shoot in my handguns with no problem at all. The SP5K will have nothing to do with that ammo. It will fire the first round then fail to eject.
I picked up some better quality 124gr ammo, cleaned it up with CLP, and the problem disappeared. I put 100 plus rounds of the 124gr. without a problem what so ever. Then, immediately after I again tried the 115gr ammo, and same issue happened again the first round fired.
Needless to say, I now know to feed her a better ammo and don't worry about the issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like a pretty similar situation. I will grab a few different types of ammo and hit the range this week. Do you know if the 115gr lower power stuff works in the vp9 by chance? If this issue is the ammo, I need to figure out what to do with all this umc stuff. My dad is considering getting a vp9 or a shield so maybe I can pawn it off on him.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Sounds like a pretty similar situation. I will grab a few different types of ammo and hit the range this week. Do you know if the 115gr lower power stuff works in the vp9 by chance? If this issue is the ammo, I need to figure out what to do with all this umc stuff. My dad is considering getting a vp9 or a shield so maybe I can pawn it off on him.
The only issue I've had with my vp9 was with Freedom Munitions 115gr. However, the rounds I bought from them were so under powered it was a joke. They wouldn't have cycled a .22. My vp9 has never malfunctioned with any other factory ammo of any weight.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My VP9 has ate every ammo I've thrown at it, including UMC 115gr. I've been shooting light competition loads in USPSA and never had a failure with that even though it's nearly to weak to knock the steel poppers down without a center hit. Mine is well broken-in now, so whether it would have shot that when new without an issue, I can't say. I ran a few hundred rounds of Fiocchi 124gr through my SP5K when it was new, and have ran various 124, 115, and 146 through it since then, and still never had any failures. I did strip, clean and lube it when it was new before firing the first time.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ain't seen it mentioned, but your extractor spring has probably been hyper extended due to numerous jams, thereby causing a loose case head to bolt face condition. Until it's replaced or straightened (not recommended) , most likely functional issues will continue regardless of ammo used.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I haven't had any issues with my VP9, it has eaten everything I have fed it, usually Freedom munitions, UMC, or American Eagle 115gr....no problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just put 30 rounds of a combination of p+ 147gr and American Eagle 124gr through it without a hitch. I guess that umc 115 is extremely wimpy. Now I have to find a home for it and order up some NATO 124gr. Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts