Votes: 60 100.0%
  • Blocked

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need your help here. A friend of mine is going to start producing solid hard brass floor plates for the USPC line of pistols, complete with HK and caliber markings. The question is, what shape is preferred by the rank and file.
Price is not set yet so I cannot comment on that or who is making them. But they are being made with HK's blessing by a very well known member of this board. I am NOT involved in the production or selling of these items, I just need your opinion.
Here are the factory options:

This factory floor plate weighs 100.6 grains, about 1/5 ounce.

Here are the solid hard brass floor plates.

The contoured brass floor plate weighs 1271 grains, about 3 ounces.

The advantages of the brass floor plates are they ensure a speeded ejection of the magazine, even if they are prone to hanging up for what ever reason. The extra weight gets them out of the way in a hurry which has proven to aid in a rapid reload.
Second, even if the magazine is full and ejected on a relatively flat angle, the weighted floor plate caused the mag to land floor plate first, protecting the feed lips from damage.
After 30 drops from a height of 5 feet, empty, full, and half full, on concrete and 30 drops on large gravel, straight down, the magazine came through un-damaged and the floor plate only suffered cosmetic damage such as a few nicks and scratches. These are made from very hard brass and look pretty darned good too. I am not sure what the process is for making them black but it is pretty durable.
Here is a picture of the markings:

Here is the floor plate after the above 60 drops:

So, which style do YOU think you would like best, the squared off plate or the contoured plate?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like the contoured plate, myself. It adds a little to the grip length, but not enough and in a way to impeed CCW like the HK extended floorplate.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't think the contoured one would be any harder CCW. It matches the frame better than the flat. How much different do they feel when holstered? Do they install like the O.E. floor plates do? The price would have to be right also, I don't think they would be very popular if they are to expensive.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Just make sure you wear shoes when you practice doing dry fire mag changes. Weighted mag + toe = OUCH!

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They make the mag heavier for certain, but I really cannot tell any change in balance when in the pistol nor are the three ounces noticeable over time. I have been carrying them with these floor plates on my pistol as well as on the back up mag for about three weeks and I do not see the extra six ounces to be of any concern. They certainly do make the mag drop out quicker and Scooter is absolutely correct, they hit the ground and they hit it hard. At first I expected the welds in the back of the mag to give up the ghost, but after those 60 drops on concrete and large gravel and another 50+ on carpet, the welds show no sign of being about to let loose. The carpet drops were testing to see if the weighted plates would always make the mag drop plate first so I was dropping the mags at all kinds of angles including almost sideways. The brass plates primary function was to make sure the mag is ejected quickly to aid in rapid reloads in tactical situations. Of course, speed in mag ejection can also come in handy during IPSC shooting too. The side benefit of making the mag drop bottom first so the feed lips do not get damaged was a serendipitous finding. And, they weigh so much that when the mags do hit the ground they do not bounce around. I tested some aluminum floor plates a while back and while those were excellent, they suffered more cosmetic damage and allowed the mags to bounce more. With the aluminum plates the mag body was scratched up a bit more (not enough to worry about) but sometimes the rounds in the mag tended to reverse themselves. I don't know how that happens but it did about half the time. With the brass floor plates no rounds reversed themselves nor were any ejected from the mag during impact, half full or completely full. Even after 30 drops on gravel there were only very minor scratches to the body. The mag tended to hit the ground and then just fall over, not bouncing or skittering about like factory mags do or the aluminum based mags did. The only thing that happened was with empty mags the spring tension was not enough to keep the floor plate from shifting forward about 1/8 inch, but the plates did not come off or cause the spring and follower to come out. If there were any bullets left in the mag as would be with a tactical reload, the floor plate lock kept the plate in place, and yes, they attach the same way as do the factory plates.
I am very impressed with these plates and regardless of cost, if your life depends on the mag dropping every single time no matter what; these are going to be worth it. These are being developed primarily with an eye toward the LE and military community where ejection of a spent mag is paramount and rapid reloading is of utmost importance. The fact that some may come our way is a fortunate for us side market.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Definitely contoured, I even think it would be better still if it had a contour (underbite) toward the back of the grip too. Would look much more correct and pleasing to my eye. :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Contoured for sure!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Contoured.

While I'm not sure these are really NEEDED, the concept has been well thought-out and executed. There's just enough overhang for the palm to clear the butt when speed-seating; the factory flat floor plate is hit-or-miss here. I keep a flat one in the gun, but all spares are extended.

So, while these may indeed be an answer in search of a question, they are very nicely-done answers...;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I dont see any reason to even consider producing the blocked off version. It will not aid in concealing the pistol and the contoured version would seem to add a little bit extra weight...weight being the whole point of these plates. I would consider the contoured version to be the way to go for sure.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The vote sure is close! :D

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
definatly contoured... I'd get 5 if you'll make em for the .45 low capacity mags... If not, im up s*** creek without a paddle! Jk

(yeah, canada still has crappy rules... i guess its the 11th round that killes now)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another idea, sorry to jump in with it, but if these blocks could be made deeper to hold another round or 2.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry but I cannot answer any questions about what they will be available for or if they will be made in any +X capacity because I do not know. Right now they are being tested for the Compact/P2K 9mm, .357 SIG, .40, (all the same plate) and the .45 Compact, full caps only. I do not know if they will be made for the USP or SOCOM but I sure hope so. I doubt they will be made for the neutered mags because of the dificulty in making such a locking piece out of hard brass, but I do not know that for certain.
As I stated, the primary reason for these plates is to aid ejection of the mag and speed up tactical reloads. Legality for sports is not something that has been looked in to so far as I know.
Price? Not a clue. Being CNC machined out of hard brass and with the price of hard brass these days they are not going to be cheap, but cheap is a very relative term. These plates are intended for hard duty use and to help keep the shooter alive, not display pieces. Price is tertiary to function and durability.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Contoured

Contoured looks better than blocked. If they become available, I would want a few for the USPc .45.
I know it was not one of the choices, but a finger rest model would be even better.

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Contoured looks better than blocked. If they become available, I would want a few for the USPc .45.
I know it was not one of the choices, but a finger rest model would be even better.

Thanks
A finger rest model without the pronounced lip would be nice for the P2000SK.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts