HKPRO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1621 - 1640 of 1885 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was supposed to take possession of my SP5 today, but backed out and reassessing it over the coming days. So I went into my LGS handled the gun, everything was as expected. The action worked smoothly, the paddle release seemed gritty, but a good cleaning will fix that issue. When I was putting the mag into the gun, I noticed that the provided magazines did not lock into the gun without a GOOD smack to force it in, this is with the bolt open. The sales guy had a few range SP5K, Zenith 5RS to test the mag and they lock into those guns just fine. He tested the range gun's magazine in my SP5 and it locks, but VERY tight with no wobble. He told me to bring in my HK mags into the store over the coming days to see if it would lock with my personal magazines. Assuming that if my mags lock, then the two provided mags are out of spec. If my mags don't lock either, then the magazine locking feature may be out of spec.

Did anyone have a similar issue with their two SP5 magazines not fitting easily and this is just normal break-in for the
SP5 or if this SP5 really is out of spec? I'm never experienced this in any of my other mp5 style guns (Zenith Z-5rs, PTR 9ct, SP5K) so I thought I would ask the experts assuming this is normal before getting back in line for the long wait.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I was supposed to take possession of my SP5 today, but backed out and reassessing it over the coming days. So I went into my LGS handled the gun, everything was as expected. The action worked smoothly, the paddle release seemed gritty, but a good cleaning will fix that issue. When I was putting the mag into the gun, I noticed that the provided magazines did not lock into the gun without a GOOD smack to force it in, this is with the bolt open. The sales guy had a few range SP5K, Zenith 5RS to test the mag and they lock into those guns just fine. He tested the range gun's magazine in my SP5 and it locks, but VERY tight with no wobble. He told me to bring in my HK mags into the store over the coming days to see if it would lock with my personal magazines. Assuming that if my mags lock, then the two provided mags are out of spec. If my mags don't lock either, then the magazine locking feature may be out of spec.

Did anyone have a similar issue with their two SP5 magazines not fitting easily and this is just normal break-in for the
SP5 or if this SP5 really is out of spec? I'm never experienced this in any of my other mp5 style guns (Zenith Z-5rs, PTR 9ct, SP5K) so I thought I would ask the experts assuming this is normal before getting back in line for the long wait.
HK MP5s have a little trick with the mags. You’re supposed to insert them and then pull backward on the magazine to get it to snap into the mag well. Try that and see if they seat properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
753 Posts
HK MP5s have a little trick with the mags. You’re supposed to insert them and then pull backward on the magazine to get it to snap into the mag well. Try that and see if they seat properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This, and it's a fresh coat of paint. Run a few hundred rounds and mag changes through it and it will be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts

tell you what give me the name of the store ill take care of the problem for u and purchase the weapon

·
Registered
12 Posts
I tried rocking in the magazine yesterday and it did not lock into place. There's no tolerance to rock anything into the gun. From everyone's comment, it seems like this is normal for HK Sp5s to have such a tight tolerance.

I've already paid-in-full just haven't taken possession of it, but more than happy to sell it to anyone....at the right price....:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I tried rocking in the magazine yesterday and it did not lock into place. There's no tolerance to rock anything into the gun. From everyone's comment, it seems like this is normal for HK Sp5s to have such a tight tolerance.

I've already paid-in-full just haven't taken possession of it, but more than happy to sell it to anyone....at the right price....:biggrin:

you already paid for it...just take it home and you will never regret it.

·
HK= NFG 4 the Wallet
1,191 Posts

I’ll give you $2.00 and not a penny less no matter how much you try to lower the price. I’m a fair man.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mine did; initially the mags supplied with the pistol would not lock in no matter what technique was used. Some other mags (see next line for types) would, some would not. The problem cleared after inserting and releasing all of the mags I had on hand (9 in all, a mix of various years of HK, POF and a lone MKE plastic). While I could not find one, I suspect a burr somewhere in the mag catch that was knocked down quickly. Now, while all mags require a bit more "insert and pull to rear" than I'm used to from old-school MP5s, all mags lock in securely. My advice: Take delivery, try inserting/releasing them, borrow other mags if you can. The worst thing that'll happen is that you'll have to send it back to HK; more likely you'll have it working and enjoy it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Anyone have any contacts who attended the HK exhibit at Shot Show with info if the SP5 will be released to the awaiting public in more volume than a trickle?

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Anyone have any contacts who attended the HK exhibit at Shot Show with info if the SP5 will be released to the awaiting public in more volume than a trickle?
Everything but VP9's has always trickled in with HK. I really don't foresee this being any different. I'm not sure why everyone expects them to be sent in and stocked on shelves like Smith & Wesson M&P's when that has literally never happened before. I sure wouldn't hold my breath brother...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine did; initially the mags supplied with the pistol would not lock in no matter what technique was used. Some other mags (see next line for types) would, some would not. The problem cleared after inserting and releasing all of the mags I had on hand (9 in all, a mix of various years of HK, POF and a lone MKE plastic). While I could not find one, I suspect a burr somewhere in the mag catch that was knocked down quickly. Now, while all mags require a bit more "insert and pull to rear" than I'm used to from old-school MP5s, all mags lock in securely. My advice: Take delivery, try inserting/releasing them, borrow other mags if you can. The worst thing that'll happen is that you'll have to send it back to HK; more likely you'll have it working and enjoy it.
Thanks for confirming, I took delivery of it Friday and cycled quite a few mags through the gun, it seems to be locking all my mags now. I guess I had to wear her in.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Anyone who ordered from Brownells heard anything? I called today and they said they are expecting them in the next few weeks. I'm feeling less confident as we near February...

1621 - 1640 of 1885 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.