HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A view weeks ago, i´ve heard about MP7s with "Full Auto Mode" disabled at the British Police and won´t believe it.
Now i found the pic ( it is from British Police ) below:
Note, the full auto symbols are painted black or missing...

Any further information?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Its technically illegal for british police to have automatic weapons, hence why all the MP5s you see in the Pics from London thread are Semi-Auto only. Not sure as to the reason of it, probably political correctness, although I think in some early cases the police had automatics (ie: MP5Ks) they all got converted to semi only. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
243 Posts
good old 1937 firearms act I think is the reason. Which has had several "kneejerk" amendments reacting to incidents of gun crime in the UK.

When will these guys learn, restricting the use of legal firearms only means that when confronted with someone with an illegal firearm, even our police are at a disadvantage.

Its so bad over here that our Olympic atheletes in pistol shooting can't train in their own country.

·
Registered
243 Posts
whilst it is annoying, being on semi means that the operator is forced to make well placed shots over going "spray and pray" which is a good thing, but the restrictions are frustrating to say the least.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maybe the British police won't have to face off with bad guys with select-fire weapons. :eek:
They might if they install some sort of a bayonet, just like what the British did in their revolvers in the past. Just joking...

·
Registered
46 Posts
For the majority of officers, soldiers, and even bad guys, individual weapons in semi-auto provide more advantages than does full auto.
Good points! But the British police might be better off and saved a lot of bucks by issuing P2000 .40S&W pistol loaded with Winchester RA40T (also used by the RCMP, if I am not mistaken).

IMHO, the positive attribute of MP7 has already been defeated, hitting the enemy with multiple projectiles at a shortest possible time without much felt-recoil to the user.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Very true . . . however, why bring a knife to a gun fight? :62: :71:
It is supposed to be a joke, but taken seriously, it may be a good idea considering the 4.6mm's limitation. At least, a pointed thing is useful if the bullet failed to stop an attacking suspect loaded with narcotics, specially if that suspect is big and muscular.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Chris, as usual i agree with you, but i have to point out that if he comes close enough to be stabbed, i would go for a head shoot first. You know, nobody is cool with a destroyed CNS...

Or i would go to my 9mm sidearm.

:)

·
Registered
279 Posts
i was in the uk last month for a day trip.. i saw british police patroling the airport with a g36c ( needless to say i almost wet myself with excitement :p:p) i did talk to him but i didnt ask if it was full auto ... i ddint look to be honest !!

as for the mp7 ( besides that its a brilliant weapon system and its already been stated.. ) who wants a full auto weapon in a busy airport when you never know how gung ho the guy holdin it is !!

in a situation where ur dealing with a druged up nutter or a fairly heavy built guy then professionalism and common sence will prevail. you dont need full auto, nor do you need it with a terrorist with a full auto weapon and a bullet proof vest.

well, thats my opinion and understanding of the ballistics of the 4.6 round

·
Registered
121 Posts
Its technically illegal for british police to have automatic weapons, hence why all the MP5s you see in the Pics from London thread are Semi-Auto only. Not sure as to the reason of it, probably political correctness, although I think in some early cases the police had automatics (ie: MP5Ks) they all got converted to semi only. Hope that helps.

Actully the Civil Nuclear Constabulary's G36 are all select fire and most forces SFOs have access to Automatic weapons the thing is they are so rarely used that most people think they don't exsist

The main resaon why 99% of the weapons are semi-only is that AFOs & SFOs are trainined to fire and asses not just hold the trigger down and hope for the best (that would be the flying squads job)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am really shock on what others opined that once you have a select-fire option, you tend to be trigger happy, similar argument as when a private citizen will have a gun, that person will tend to shoot everyone you see in the street and then shoot himself/herself, the anti-gun media really works!

It has been tested in another forum by qualified persons who know bullet effectiveness from the medical standpoint that even the lowly 9mm 124gr +P Gold Dot ammo creates 10X bigger wound than a 4.6mm bullet. As pointed out, the 4.6mm weapon system's objective is to have a controllable firearm in full-auto fire, that is, hit probability by a meager trained individual will hopefully increased. Therefore, the effectiveness handicap may be augmented by multiple hits by the smaller projectile. Putting the MP7 weapon system on semi-auto only configuration is the wrong direction

The core of the my statement is that if incapacitation of the suspect is the issue, we should go to the tried and tested ammo both in the lab and in the field.

I will stick to my suggestion of just arming them with P2000 .40 loaded with an effective brand of ammo, and possibly, a shotgun (besides the usual buckshot, a beanbag less-lethal can also be included). Same proficiency can be attained at a lower price.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks for that info Kev, never knew that before. As for what CThurman said, I agree and the press get wound up over police shootings over here as it is, without cops having used automatic weapons. Some are getting bent outta shape about equipping non-AFOs with Tasers! As it is, most shootings involving the police result in so few rounds being fired that an automatic or even burst option for the officers would be pointless anyway.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yeah I don't think its ever been an issue or secret with the UKAEA/CNC carrying select fire weapons I wouldn't swear to it but I think some of the MODpold weapons are select fire but as I say I'm not 100% sure on that

The issue on semi-auto only is down more to the fact that police in england & wales are trained esently not to need automatic fire.

on an unrelated note beer affects your abilty to spell

·
Registered
46 Posts
10% could and should.
For the other 90%, lack of full auto helps reduce the needless dumping of rounds under pressure and increases the probability of the officer/soldier taking aimed shots. Bullets are a finite commodity for the individual officer/soldier on patrol and sometimes the decision makers feel that it is better to issue weapons that "encourage" people to spend ammo judiciously as opposed to just trusting them to use good judgement with all options.

It is not an issue of political correctness when departments/units go semi only. It is an issue of practicality.

So, forcing officers/soldiers to use semi only in their individual weapons actually gives them a tactical advantage over opponents that use full auto and an advantage over what would likely happen if they themselves used full auto.
Easier said than done with the one who said it doesn't put his/her life on the line.

Policy due to practicality, political correctness due to policy, then practicality due to political correctness, am I getting it right?

Grown up during the Martial Law years from the country I came from, I am not new to the euphemism game. Enough said.

·
Registered
279 Posts
on an unrelated note beer affects your abilty to spell[/QUOTE said:
DID SOME ONE MENTION BEER ????

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts