HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for people's experience / advice / pictures on their HK91 builds from a G3 parts kit or maybe I should refer to it as a G3 semi.

I am aware that a complete PTR can be purchased for around $1000, but I already have the parts and a couple of receivers.

Specifically, has anyone just cut the old piece of receiver off the trunion and put it in the new receiver without re pressing in the barrel to the trunion?

Thanks for the stories / guidance.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Installing the trunion and barrel as on piece is the way most smiths accomplish it. Unless the bolt gap is pretty low.

Bill

·
Registered
422 Posts
I built a Semi G3 from a FMP G3 parts kit and JLD receiver. When I say "I" I really mean "Investment Grade Forearms" built me one.

The buld was not cheaper than going out and purchasing a NIB PTR rifle but I had build exactly what I wanted. IMHO, the worst part of the PTR's are the furniture and barrels, for my built I used the FMP barrel w/flash and H&K made furniture.

For me the rifle ended up costing about $1400 when done. Sweet as butter though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have one of the parts kits that I think came from InterOrdiance several years ago. Also have a PTR receiver. I almost wanted to do it for the experience of it but didn't want to just create a piece of crap. I also like the old wood furniture that came with the kit.

One question, does a person have to use a safe and fire housing or is a semi trigger pack in a regular clipped and pinned metal G3 housing okay as long as it is clipped and pinned and truly a semi trigger pack? I would really like it if it looked like the original from way back in the 60's. I also would like to avoid putting that extra notch or bump on the trigger housing. If I do need to I will, but don't want to

·
Registered
76 Posts

heres a kit built by Jason at investment grade firearms, it has a JLD trigger housing and trigger parts and Special weapons cocking handle and trunion for compliance parts, the rest is all German. The build was pricey but the fit ,finish and welding is excellent.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Trimming the receiver stub off the trunion is pretty easy and a lot of people build HK roller locked rifles by welding the trunion into the new receiver without pressing the barrel out. The practice is to use feeler guages to measure the "bolt gap" and see if it's in spec. If it is then (in theory) no problem. Besides the link above, also check out a post on the www.falfiles.com and you might consider purchasing the AGI "Building a G3 Video." I got that video when I got started on a HK33 build over 2 years ago and it was a good introduction, although also not especially in-depth.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have the AGI video. it is a modest video. Their build looks a bit rough. I really don't like the sheet metal screw.
That was my assessment also. Just weld it.

There was another website some time back that had a lot of information about getting the cocking tube, b/c, and barrel properly aligned. Maybe someone has the link....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts