HKPRO Forums banner

Which kit to build? (Please explain why in post)

• Build the HK 53

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • Build the HK 33

Votes: 13 44.8%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been collecting the parts for an HK53 build and so far have an original used barrel, front sight, cocking tube, cocking tube support, hand guard and recently got a new Vector Arms V93 receiver to convert for it (not converted for HK53 build yet).

Recently I came across an HK33 complete kit, it is complete except the barrel is a new USA made one and not the hammer forged version.

Now, being fairly new to HK's in general, I really don't have the knowledge or experience to know which one would be more worth building, in terms of reliability, fun to shoot, and value retention. I believe I can use the internals for the 33 and use all of them for the 53, correct?

I probably will eventually build both of them, but with an MP5 build also in the works I can only afford one of them right now, assuming I can use the internals and stock from the 33 kit for either build, which one should I build now??

Also, if I do build the 33, should I just use the USA (Green Mountain I think?) barrel or should I spring for an original German one? Is there a big enough difference?

Thanks for any and all input.

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
I bought a German one from Gatewood here on the forum. If you do not go that route, I at least suggest using an RCM CHF barrel.

·
HK Shooting Team
2,820 Posts
The 53 bolt carrier is different as well as the locking piece. If you don't have a sear, you should do a 33 build as the 53 as a pistol is silly. You should also try to get a German barrel if you can as that will help reduce future problems after the build is complete (tolerances). I've seen a few great deals on HK93s lately and would suggest you grab one of those if you can. For reliability and value retention, the real deal is the only way to go.

·
Premium Member
1,835 Posts
I have both, but the go to is a 33K. The 53 is too short for a 5.56, the 33 is too bulky and unbalanced, but a 33K is the perfect 5.56 rifle.

Just say'n

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,582 Posts
Agree... 33k is perfect!

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Jayson at IGF did a 53, all German for me. Do yourself a favor. Go ahead now, and put in the paperwork for a suppressor. Obnoxiously loud. I like the 53 build a lot....

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
I have both 53 and 33 hosts for my sear. The 53 more often than not comes to the range with me, while the 33 stays in the safe. I generally find the 53 more fun to shoot. I like the 33 (of course), but it's just a bit too unwieldy compared to the 53, even on full auto.

·
Registered
170 Posts
33's make wonderful target rifles, the heavy weight combined with an RCM CHF = 1 moa constancy with handloads. FYI all older kits are German from Oberndorf. I got my Malaysian kit from Apex 4 years ago for $350.

I think value wise your good to go because all the crap quality 33's produced off of kits are really poorly done, and if you take your time and build well you have a unique rifle that stands above any century stuff.

Go for the RCM CHF barrel, it's better than anything. Nitrided and perfect brand new.

I hate TB stuff and SW stuff but he did a good job on the 33 flats out there, actually an excellent job. Just remember to weld in an MP5 pad on the front if you want a fully solid claw mount.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Discogodfather: Beautiful rifle!

Some good points here, I didn't know the bolt carrier wouldn't cross over and it looks like I'll be needing a new barrel for the 33 kit so the price of building one or the other looks to be roughly the same at this point; either buy a barrel for the 33 and build that or a bolt carrier and locking piece for the 53...

Also, as far as building the 53, if I go that route it will definitely be getting an SBR tax stamp and suppressor. I feel like that is just required for that platform.

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming, pictures are very welcome!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 53 bolt carrier is different as well as the locking piece. If you don't have a sear, you should do a 33 build as the 53 as a pistol is silly. You should also try to get a German barrel if you can as that will help reduce future problems after the build is complete (tolerances). I've seen a few great deals on HK93s lately and would suggest you grab one of those if you can. For reliability and value retention, the real deal is the only way to go.
Where have you seen the HK93 deals?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have both, but the go to is a 33K. The 53 is too short for a 5.56, the 33 is too bulky and unbalanced, but a 33K is the perfect 5.56 rifle.

Just say'n
Huge +1 on this

I find that I will always bring the 33k and actually shoot it when I hit the range. The 53 is more of a flash bang, oooo ahh type piece. The 33k feels more usable to me.

The 53 is cool, and a whole lot of fun, especially since I changed it to a 300blk. But the balance of the 33k is second to none.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Build the 53. You can buy a factory MKE 43 pistol and sbr it. I have a 33k and want what i dont have. So just get both.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got a little more info, the 33 barrel is one of the limited run RCM barrels from RobertRTG and apparently was very desired.

With the comments here, it's looking like the best route might be to go with the 33k build. So I'll sell the 33 barrel to get a 33k barrel and I should be able to use all the rest of the 33 parts from there, right? Since I already have a complete 33 kit and a Vector 93 receiver it seems that this option would cost me the least to finish between the two with what I have on hand.

I honestly didn't even know what a 33k was, so thank you guys for enlightening me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
HK parts has the RCM 33 and 33k barrels in stock, $240. Expensive but it's really worth it. You get a very accurate barrel with 15k+ round potential.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I would personally build a 33/93 or if I wanted a SBR rifle a 33K. To me any barrel shorter than 12.5" does not make any sense with a rifle cartridge. However that is partly just a personal bias and partly due to the fact that a rifle cartridge from a 53 length barrel is a waste. Other than having a cool looking gun that is loud and shoots fireballs a 53 makes no sense. There is a good reason that HK never made a 53 or a 51, they make zero sense. I would also use an RCM barrel if it was me.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts