HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here’s a question for you guys,

I have a HK91, obviously illegal in California, and I plan on moving there in a few years time. I can however legally own a “clone” with HK parts (stupid freakn’ retarded if you as me). My question is this, if I want to build my own, from a flat, is it possible for me to purchase the flat, register it under whatever name and serial # I want (was thinking about personalizing it), then ship it to someone to have it bent, welded and have my HK91 parts transferred to it?

I know it legally becomes a receiver once it is bent etc. but can it be registered prior to bending and welding so I can be the manufacturer and outsource the labor?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would I buy a parts kit, when I already have all the parts in the current 91. The only part that isn't CA friendly is the HK91 stamped receiver. If I just swap out the receiver, I can convert it back to it's original condition at a later date.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Why would I buy a parts kit, when I already have all the parts in the current 91. The only part that isn't CA friendly is the HK91 stamped receiver. If I just swap out the receiver, I can convert it back to it's original condition at a later date.
Keep in mind that some of the part don't just swap out of the receiver very well. Cutting and welding.
The only realistic option along the lines of what I think you are getting at is a barreled receiver (with trunnion, cocking tube barrel, etc installed), and then just swap out bolt carrier group, lower, and stock. Keeping in mind 922R, even if it was all US made, you would have to use US made thermold mags to make 922R parts count. Which might work, seeings how you can't bring your 20 rounders with you, at least not assembled or usable.
You could also sell your 91 and have enough cash to buy an off-list G3S or SAR-8, with money left over.
You might also consider that you'll need a bullet button, and whether or not you want to mess with it. If you don't, you might consider an M1A instead.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I feel your pain. I am from California. I would sell the 91 and just buy a CA legal PTR91 with bullet button preinstalled. they go for around 1200 here. Im sure you can get more for the real 91 to off set the cost. Plus you know for a fact that its legal. for the time being at least.

·
Registered
23 Posts
HK SR9

Here’s a question for you guys,

I have a HK91, obviously illegal in California, and I plan on moving there in a few years time. I can however legally own a “clone” with HK parts (stupid freakn’ retarded if you as me). My question is this, if I want to build my own, from a flat, is it possible for me to purchase the flat, register it under whatever name and serial # I want (was thinking about personalizing it), then ship it to someone to have it bent, welded and have my HK91 parts transferred to it?

I know it legally becomes a receiver once it is bent etc. but can it be registered prior to bending and welding so I can be the manufacturer and outsource the labor?

Sell or trade the California banned HK 91 for a California legal HK SR9.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
you can get legally here is a hk41, that is not on the banned list

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bingo.

Sell the HK91 and buy an SR9- it's still original HK. Or sell it and pay a bit more for an HK41 or a 911.

If you carve up and rebuild your 91, you lose money, no matter how you slice it.

-Dave

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys make a good point. I have always liked the SR9TC and HK41 SG1. I'll start keepinh my eye out for one. Thanks...

·
Registered
163 Posts
The TCs are quite hard to find. You can always get a T and add a PSG stock too.

Add a Prince 50 (Assault Planet) bullet button and 5 or 10 round mag before you bring it into CA, and you'll be set.

-Dave

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
This discussion makes one wonder if the best option for us in the mid west would be keeping the SAR8 and HK911 rifle's stock for Ca ;-).

Have a HK911 that was "converted to HK91 specification" per the receipt to the former owner and traveling with the HK911 is a box of the original parts (the stock has a heavy buffer in it that is worth recovering), which almost makes one wonder if worth repairing and remounting/pinning the "fake heavy barrel" extension (or picking up a new one if anyone makes such a thing) for a state behind enemy lines vs shooting the hell out of it as a sear host (a job that can be done by a clone ;-).

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a suggetion for those that enjoy firearms:

1. MOVE from the People's Republik of Kalifornia.

2. DO NOT MOVE to the People's Republik of Kalifornia.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The thumbhole stock is still banned in CA- putting a bullet button on it makes it CA friendly as long as it isn't named (HK91).

Some of us are stuck here because of work and family unfortunately. But you can still own most anything (non NFA) provided you know how to follow the letter of the law.

-Dave

·
Registered
642 Posts
In all seriousness, I hope that you have some fan-damn-tastic job if you are planning to move TO California. I did live there for 10 years and not only has the economy gone to the toilet but gun laws are a hassle. As for the Clone build idea, you would be best off NOT building anything until you got there or are %1000 (one thousand percent) sure that you can bring something like that in. That is in reference to the DOJ (Department of Justice) BS who "manages" the firearms laws. Pistol grip, detachable magazine, bayonet mount, flash hider, 10+ round capacity, if its black or just looks like anything a foreign country uses, its gonna be illegal (and that isn't really exaggerating). The "best" semi auto you are going to find there is a Yugo SKS with muzzle break. There are NO gun EXPERTS in California to ask about these things either. Most gunsmiths don't know, most residents don't know, and most COPS don't know what the laws are EXCEPT that you are breaking them. It's a well known fact Sonny Jim that if its fun to shoot, drive or is mechanical, it is probably illegal in California. And by golly, if you do move there, make sure that you have you own ammo and make sure that none of it is armor piercing, incendiary, tracer, hollow point, round nose, FMJ, subsonic, supersonic, deadly or other wise dangerous or you will go straight to death row. And don't let me get started on SMOG laws and the number of Prius' that have taken over the roads. Good luck.

I have a suggetion for those that enjoy firearms:

1. MOVE from the People's Republik of Kalifornia.

2. DO NOT MOVE to the People's Republik of Kalifornia.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have a NIB SR-9 on GA, note it is not the SR-9T or TC so has CA ugliness built-in but it will put lead downrange in the manner to which you have become accustom to.
:)

Bingo.

Sell the HK91 and buy an SR9- it's still original HK. Or sell it and pay a bit more for an HK41 or a 911.

If you carve up and rebuild your 91, you lose money, no matter how you slice it.

-Dave

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This discussion makes one wonder if the best option for us in the mid west would be keeping the SAR8 and HK911 rifle's stock for Ca ;-).

Have a HK911 that was "converted to HK91 specification" per the receipt to the former owner and traveling with the HK911 is a box of the original parts (the stock has a heavy buffer in it that is worth recovering), which almost makes one wonder if worth repairing and remounting/pinning the "fake heavy barrel" extension (or picking up a new one if anyone makes such a thing) for a state behind enemy lines vs shooting the hell out of it as a sear host (a job that can be done by a clone ;-).
I talked to a few long timers in Ca and as long as the features that have been added, (flash hider, pistol grip, pinned 14.5" barrel etc) to a HK911 you're good as long as the mag cannot be easily detached without a tool and in a reasonable amount of time. Basically, you can have any feature as a HK91 can (except threaded barrel or SBR or full auto for that matter) as long as it does not say "HK91" on the receiver. So, if it gets converted, do not allow them to re-stamp the receiver. One would think if that was true, who would be able to prove a HK91 was converted to a HK911, re-stamped at the time of the conversion, then in a free state, modified the barrel etc.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It's not hard, and it's not strange to figure out the laws here.

Go on over to calguns.net, ANYTHING you need to know will be answered there.

-Dave

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I talked to a few long timers in Ca and as long as the features that have been added, (flash hider, pistol grip, pinned 14.5" barrel etc) to a HK911 you're good as long as the mag cannot be easily detached without a tool and in a reasonable amount of time. Basically, you can have any feature as a HK91 can (except threaded barrel or SBR or full auto for that matter) as long as it does not say "HK91" on the receiver. So, if it gets converted, do not allow them to re-stamp the receiver. One would think if that was true, who would be able to prove a HK91 was converted to a HK911, re-stamped at the time of the conversion, then in a free state, modified the barrel etc.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts