HKPRO Forums banner

Building an MP5 from a rolled receiver

42K views 55 replies 27 participants last post by  AviatorDave 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am new here, but I have been reading posts here for a long time. Didn't exactly know where to post this, but if it needs to be moved, so be it.

I successfully rolled an mp5 receiver, didn't get a parts kit due to the fact I wasn't sure if it would be worth it, but it turned out spectacularly. (motivated by Ghillibear2000's pics!)

Now, since I don't have parts to get dimensions from, I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to send me the measurements of a bolt carrier. I am particularly interested in the rail measurement, and perhaps an overall dimensional measurement of a working receiver. Thanks in advance...

#4 ·
I would be glad to tell/show the forum, but it will cost you. Could someone here tell this old man how to post pics in the forums? Do I need webhosting? I don't have my own site, so any help would be appreciated.

Oh, and by the way, the folding was super easy. I have 15 minutes invested in that part of it, and my receiver measurements are within .002 of a measured factory hk receiver. I got super lucky.

#8 ·
Guide

Thanks for posting those. I appreciate it.
A quick guide for doing this:

Tools handy for this:

1. Vice Grips(body shop clamp types)
2. one 3/4 (.78in weldable pipe or stock)
3. Tig or Mig welder(tig preferred, but I only have argon mig, still works well)
4. 1" angle iron sections(2 cut equal length of receiver)
5. propane or other type of torch-mapp gas ok
6. Bench vise with brass or plastic jaw protectors

I first located center of flat and marked it. Then I put a center line scribed into the stock bar. Once that was done, I tack welded the flat to the bar so it would not wander during the bend.

Then I took the two 1" pieces of angle iron, and welded them together. the irons leading edges just fit into the recess of the flat. I inserted these two pieces(flat with pipe and angle irons welded) into the vise and stared the bend. After reaching about 25 to 30 degrees of bend, the angle irons are no longer needed, and after I did this, I realized if a torch was used to heat the top of the receiver, you could actually hand roll the flat around the stock or pipe(wearing gloves, of course) and not have to deal with the angle iron step. Then, when you have the fold started this way, it will just fit into the vise on the top of the jaws, pipe down, into the rails on the flat. Then it was just a matter of compressing the flat in the vise. I did make sure the pipe was tapped during the compression, so that it remained symmetrical, and the two sides came up together perfectly. Once that was done, it was a simple matter to finish the welding of the areas underneath. Not much to it, really. You just have to make sure to be careful and take your time, because you really only get one shot at it. You don't want tool marks, or to have the sides come up and miss one another. I paid $400.00 for that flat, and believe me, a wad of $400.00 metal in the trash would have killed me.

Lastly, I was fortunate enough to have a set of c-clamp Vise Grips I use in my body shop, and before I removed the pipe from the receiver, I used these to go down the receiver top just below the scope mounts and pinch the receiver top tube tight against the pipe. It worked out well this way. Not much time or money spent on it.

#9 ·
Damn....nice job and nice write up. That would have never worked out for me. I might as well as thrown the cash into the trash. I guess it's all about having the right tools for the job, some good skill/eyeballing, and a little luck.

You'll have to keep this threading going throughout your build...

Again...excellent job!

MajorHK

#10 ·
this is about the same way as i would do it also, plus or minus a few things. what kind of welder are you using and what temp. do you have it set on (dont want to turn the receiver into a puddle)? you just made a series of tacs before making the initial weld? did you sand blast the flat beforehand also or something else, looks sandblasted in the pic. thanks again for the work, im sure it has inspired everyone to try their hand at bending flats, that is if you can find one.

#11 ·
Ideally I would use a tig welder, but for this project, I am using a Hobart 125 mig with argon set at about 11 to 13. Also, I set it on 4, which is it's hottest. I also have a Snap-On body shop welder(mig) but didn't elect to use it, for the 120 volt unit wouldn't give rise to melting my flat.

Yes, I have just tack welded it together currently. I want to make sure that all is well with the parts kit before I finish it.

All in all, the toughest part was committing to the fold. I was very nervous about that, due to the cost. My AK flats only cost me $12.00, and the first one turned into the best AK I ever fired. Go figure. The chance of the toast falling jelly side down on the carpet is proportional to the cost of the carpet.

Now all I need is a parts kit and some duracoat. My 91 I built from a fmp parts kit and a ptr receiver, which, by the way, is absolutely the best ever. My 91 shoots better than my friend's Pre-Ban HK91. I think he likes mine better.

#12 ·
Oh, I almost forgot. The flat was or appeared sand/bead blasted when I bought it. I am not sure why, since they are from the same source as the unmentionable selling them on Gunbroker.com currently. I actually saw two of those he had going as high as $600.00+ and one for $775.00. I honestly believe he may have had help from friends getting them bid up that high. You can damn near buy a clone for that, cut it up, and make your own and still be money ahead. I was lucky enough that this one was put on a Buy It Now sale. Couldn't resist, since the building is the hook for me anyway.

#16 ·
I swear that the unmentionable is running up the bids on his own crap. I was watching both of those flats and had bids going but I kept getting outbid by someone named "flyingtodd". Has to make me wonder. If it's him they will show up again more than likely.

#18 ·
I realized the same things on those flats. I do also, as stated in a previous post, think that there is some "help" going on with those. Nobody in their right mind would pay near what he is getting for those. List the bidders, and I will let you know if they are duplicates. I have been following those to track the bids.

#19 ·
Here are the bids for the last two such lots:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=65798428

$395.00 flyntodd
$395.00 flyntodd
$395.00 flyntodd
$390.00 edman99
$375.00 edman99
$360.00 edman99
$350.00 dacascos
$330.00 dacascos
$300.00 K8lyn

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=65798366
$505.00 dacascos
$500.00 flyntodd
$495.00 dacascos
$485.00 dacascos
$475.00 hkshooterusp
$475.00 flyntodd
$465.00 flyntodd
$430.00 dacascos
$420.00 dacascos
$410.00 dacascos
$400.00 Gustavo Roberto
$400.00 dacascos
$360.00 dacascos
$350.00 hkshooterusp
$350.00 Gustavo Roberto
$320.00 K8lyn

#20 ·
Dacascos is a very large repeat on all the listed ones I have tried to bid on. Either he is snagging all he can due to the fact all mp5 receivers are going to be unavailable, or whatever else. I have seen his name on every, I mean, every listing so far on gunbroker. some of the others looked familiar, but I will have to go look again to be sure.

He must have a boatload of money. I sure would like another chance to get one.

#23 ·
Hello all. This is my first post here. I have been looking and reading for a couple years though. Lots of great info here!
FYI 65Pony,
As far as me bidding on the flats....I dont think spending 395.00 for an HK flat is extravagent! If you do think that then you probably should choose a new brand whine. I feel lucky I got one for that price.
I wish they were more readily available so we all could get them and maybe at a cheaper price. That would be real nice. If not, we all have to get what we can while we still can.

Thanks for a great forum!

Todd

#24 ·
Todd,

Not sure about your direction in your post, however I would kill for a pair or so of those flats at 395.00, just not 700-800 like I have seen them go for.
I personally gave $400.00 for mine, and I am nowhere near upset.
I do agree if they were plentiful, there would be better prices for them, but I don't know how anyone could afford multiples at $600.00 or more. I suppose if I had the resources, money would be no object.

There are some of us out here with caviar tastes, and a tuna budget!

#25 ·
Appologies to the board

Guys,

I have made an incredible mistake here, and I wish now to recant.
First, I suggested that a seller on gunbroker might be bidding on his own stuff to raise prices. That is not like me, and I appologize sincerely to any/all who were offended at my ignorance. My only excuse for such a travesty is most probably my dissapointment at being outbid, and that there were no more sources for me to find these flats. I became embroilled in this "private little war" that I created, and just recently realized what it had become.

If there were any way I could undo what I have done, I would gladly do so. I just wish I had jumped on this particular bandwagon when the source had them selling at a price I could afford. Not his/their fault that they are doing so well. I now send them my best, and I hope they do well with their current and future sales. I sincerely hope that this appology can be accepted.

I will have no more to add to this topic. I have done enough already.

#26 ·
Flats

65Pony I give you permission and demand you continue documenting your progress with pictures and words. I can help with pictures if needed. I cant afford the flats at the moment, but love to see gunsmithing and how-to posts. So go for it and take pics along the way.

#27 ·
Good. I will continue with the build progress, sans the politics and grumbling. This is too much fun to give up on now.

Just in a holding state waiting to acquire funds to send Mr. Webber for the parts needed to bring the weapon to life. The excitement is too much.

I plan on calling on lauer for the Duracoat. Thought about how nice the Spiderman gun looked, but decided HK black was the color. I'm not much on bling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.