HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody!

I have a question.
I am building a HK 416 rifle from parts.
So far I have gotten hold of most of the parts, including:

416 D complete lower receiver
416 upper excl. the barrel
416 barrel extension
416 bolt carrier
416 bolt incl. firing pin etc.
416 barrel nut
416 piston assebly
416 gasblock for 14.5" barrel.

What I am missing is the actual barrel.
Could anyone tell me if the MR223 barrel is compatible?
Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
416 Posts
The barrel is partially compatible.

The barrel extension has a tab to prevent use of a 416 FA bolt carrier.

To make it fully compatible one of three things must be done. Either remove the tab from the barrel extension, use an MR556 bolt carrier, or replace the MR barrel extension with a 416 barrel extension.

In terms of how easy those are to do.... Using an MR bolt carrier is the easiest. But it will prevent you from ever going FA if you find yourself in a position to use a legal FA lower of some sort. Not a big deal to most people.

Milling or grinding the barrel extension tab off takes more effort, but isn't all that difficult. Re-Parkerizing afterwards is a good idea. But it gets you closer to a full clone and allows full use of a real 416 BC.

Replacing the barrel extension is the most difficult and requires a lot of skill and access to a full machine shop unless you just happen to be one of those lucky people who has a new extension that indexes perfectly to the threads and gas port of a pre manufactured barrel. Best left to professional gunsmiths/machinists and quite frankly, not worth the time or effort in my honest opinion.

·
Registered
488 Posts
He said MR223 so I'm guessing he's in Europe.

·
Registered
700 Posts
This smells alot like someone found the freely available parts on pages like ZIB and wants to understand how he can use them to compile an actual weapon. 99% certain this is an illegal undertaking in the posters jurisdiction as he would otherwise be aware of the steps needed OR be aware that its attempting to build a weapon of war, which is a felony.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You are right baljar, but it is not illegal, I have all the necessary permissions.
Also, 416 lowers are available both semi and select.
Problem is that there are many parts for 416 not available to civilians as HK is not selling 416 parts to other than military and LE.
So my question relates to the compability between the MR556/223 and the 416.
MR223 parts I can order from HK.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts