HKPRO Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
I do not know anyone who does not love the San 550,551,553
A $4000+ accurized AK with $100+ proprietary mags, virtually no aftermarket parts and the 13 week lead time when you order one, what's not to love.

Whether the Bren is successful internationally or not isn’t really relevant
Well, maybe the reason why CZ made a US version of the BREN is because they couldn't sell it in Europe.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
I there anything you don't hate?
Quite a lot of things actually.

But the 55x are overhyped especially by Americans because they can't get them and many Swiss who claim it's THE BEST military rifle ever made. I bought a SG552 when they came out in the late '90s, I paid about $2600 which was and still would be a reasonable price. Then SAN kept rising prices for no apparent reason. Today the price range is from $3850 to $4670. Magazines retail for $105. A few years ago they ran out of the original, accurate barrels and found a new manufacturer. We have a pretty large sports shooter community because the state subsidises sports shooting on military owned 300m ranges which can found in literally every small village. They started to complain about the quality of the barrels, many serious shooters actually went back to using the Stgw57 instead of the Stgw90/PE90 because of accuracy issues with the new barrels.

·
Registered
136 Posts

But the 55x are overhyped especially by Americans because they can't get them and many Swiss who claim it's THE BEST military rifle ever made. I bought a SG552 when they came out in the late '90s, I paid about $2600 which was and still would be a reasonable price. Then SAN kept rising prices for no apparent reason. Today the price range is from $3850 to $4670. Magazines retail for $105. A few years ago they ran out of the original, accurate barrels and found a new manufacturer. We have a pretty large sports shooter community because the state subsidises sports shooting on military owned 300m ranges which can found in literally every small village. They started to complain about the quality of the barrels, many serious shooters actually went back to using the Stgw57 instead of the Stgw90/PE90 because of accuracy issues with the new barrels.
Yeah I agree. The quality isn't what it used to be and the prices are ideed very high. Handling them, the sheet metal doesn't seem to be as exactly folded and the wobble between upper and lower on my 2019 553 was more than on my PzGren RS abused 550.
Still I like them.
They shoot nice suppressed and spare parts are more readily available than for any other platform.

I know it's not the best but in CH there isn't too much stuff we can get our hands on at the moment.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts

Wow really? thats kind of sad to hear because I was really considering one of these since I don't have a 556 rifle but now I think I'll just stick with AK74s and look into other things until an HK G36 variant comes along for US civis.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
I guess the German procurement process is like the US. Someone wins, someone else protests, and the military keeps soldering on with the old weapons while big companies fight each other and the government.

·
Registered
351 Posts
What what we do with out bureaucracies and lawyers? It’s like a really bad soap drama. Lol.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts