HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well after days and days of asking a million questions and evaluating different calibers I have realized that I REALLY dont want to stray from 45ACP even if it would be cheaper and save me in weight, but the USPf certainly isnt a small gun, of course I have the P2000sk .40 as well, Im just not nearly as accurate with it because of some issues with the thinness of the grip, but as far as combat accuracy it will do the job.

So I really have 3 choices:
1. buy a USPc 45 or USP45CT
2. buy the HK45c LEM when it comes out
3. Buy a nice dillon progressive press and send my USPf 45 to Tripp for cobra chrome.

I am leaning towards 3 because it will give me the finish I really want and make me feel like I have a new gun lol. Also it will bring my 45 ammo prices down to around the cost of shooting factory 9mm without giving up my favorite caliber....that is providing I can actually figure out how to reload.

What do you guys think...smart way to go, or not really?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I fight a similar battle in my head all the time. I have a single stage press and loading my handgun ammo is no fun. I love it for my match rifles but I often battle with the same thoughts. So far I just get more guns! But with ammo prices creeping up I keep looking at my Dillon Precision catalogs!

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Tripp hard chrome will be $135 for the whole top end - less if you just do the slide(I do everything, including the slide stop). With the money you save by reloading (BE CAREFUL, TRIPLE CHECK EVERYTHING!), you may be able to afford a new pistol sooner than you think.

3 Sound like a great option

·
Registered
73 Posts
The USPc .45 is a great gun, and surprisingly concealable. Option #3 is great for other reasons. So... either option #1 now or option #3 now and option #1 later! :)

Unless you have small hands (mine are borderline), I can't see a compelling reason to get the HK45c over the USP 45c. Especially since you will get a better deal on the USPc.

My 2cents. :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Reloading 45 will barely come close to the cost of factory 9mm ammo, assuming you already have large supplies of brass. Unless you can buy in bulk, like 10,000 lbs of bullets at a time, you won't really be saving over shooting 9mm. Current prices for 230 gr. FMJ are running about $0.14 per round. So you are looking at about $0.17 per round. Of course you still have to buy the reloader, tumbler, polishing media, calipers, scale, chronograph, etc. This isn't counting the time it takes to do it.

If you don't want a BBQ gun, send it to IonBond. That's the best finish so far for guns. If you take a knife to the finish, the finish will remove metal from the blade.

I'd still go with a 9mm. I don't remember the last time I shot my 45.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yea I decided to get back into reloading pistol ammo this year myself. The cost to buy all the stuff is not cheap ( I sold all my equipment when I moved 6 years ago). But I found the best deal in the world! A buddy of mine has a Dillion 550 with 9mm and 45 tool heads and never uses it. He told me I could have it and if he ever runs out of ammo he will just have me make him some. It comes with powder, brass, bullets, tumbler, primers, everything I would need. So I am putting that money to a new HK hehe.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
...send it to IonBond. That's the best finish so far for guns. If you take a knife to the finish, the finish will remove metal from the blade...
I need to get them on the phone. I have a circa 1991 Colt M1991A1 that I want to have them do...its doesnt need it, 98%+.

Also got an od green USP Tactical, Im thinking of having IonBond in od green on the top end. Wonder if he has any color samples?

·
Registered
802 Posts
IonBond
Ryan Flynn
[email protected]
336-665-0005 ext 1340

Parts pricing from the Custom Shop as of July 2007.

Slide only $50.00
Slide and Barrel$ 75.00
Slide, barrel and all internals of slide $100.00
Frame only $100.00
Frame and all internals $200.00
Complete pistol $300.00
AR-15 complete upper $225.00
Complete AR-15 $425.00
Complete AR-15 lower $160.00
Complete Bolt rifle $350.00
Barreled action only $275.00
Rifle barrels ( AR-15 and other centerfire rifle) $65.00
Complete bolt carrier group $75.00
If no metal prep is required ie: blasting off phosphate: $50.00

Small parts and components $5.00 to $15.00 a pc. Depending on Size and complexity
Pistol barrels only $15.00
Shotgun receivers $175.00
Shotgun Barrels $65.00
Shotgun internals/ all $150.00
Pistol Magazines $15.00 each
AR-15 Magazines and variants: $25.00 each
Custom fixed blade Knives $40.00 each
Custom Folders w/ all parts $55.00

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yea I decided to get back into reloading pistol ammo this year myself. The cost to buy all the stuff is not cheap ( I sold all my equipment when I moved 6 years ago). But I found the best deal in the world! A buddy of mine has a Dillion 550 with 9mm and 45 tool heads and never uses it. He told me I could have it and if he ever runs out of ammo he will just have me make him some. It comes with powder, brass, bullets, tumbler, primers, everything I would need. So I am putting that money to a new HK hehe.
Does your friend need another friend?
Good deal! Happy reloading

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Scooter thanks for the price list!

Scooter thanks for the price list!

Very good info!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IonBond
Ryan Flynn
[email protected]
336-665-0005 ext 1340

Parts pricing from the Custom Shop as of July 2007.

Slide only $50.00
Slide and Barrel$ 75.00
Slide, barrel and all internals of slide $100.00
Frame only $100.00
Frame and all internals $200.00
Complete pistol $300.00
AR-15 complete upper $225.00
Complete AR-15 $425.00
Complete AR-15 lower $160.00
Complete Bolt rifle $350.00
Barreled action only $275.00
Rifle barrels ( AR-15 and other centerfire rifle) $65.00
Complete bolt carrier group $75.00
If no metal prep is required ie: blasting off phosphate: $50.00

Small parts and components $5.00 to $15.00 a pc. Depending on Size and complexity
Pistol barrels only $15.00
Shotgun receivers $175.00
Shotgun Barrels $65.00
Shotgun internals/ all $150.00
Pistol Magazines $15.00 each
AR-15 Magazines and variants: $25.00 each
Custom fixed blade Knives $40.00 each
Custom Folders w/ all parts $55.00

What does the finish look like? I really like the look of cobra chrome, but I would like something even more wear resistant if possible.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reloading 45 will barely come close to the cost of factory 9mm ammo, assuming you already have large supplies of brass. Unless you can buy in bulk, like 10,000 lbs of bullets at a time, you won't really be saving over shooting 9mm. Current prices for 230 gr. FMJ are running about $0.14 per round. So you are looking at about $0.17 per round. Of course you still have to buy the reloader, tumbler, polishing media, calipers, scale, chronograph, etc. This isn't counting the time it takes to do it.

If you don't want a BBQ gun, send it to IonBond. That's the best finish so far for guns. If you take a knife to the finish, the finish will remove metal from the blade.

I'd still go with a 9mm. I don't remember the last time I shot my 45.
I would be satisfied if I could spend around $7.00 per 50 rounds. I know 9mm is cheaper, but I have never carried 9mm and I dont want to star a caliber war or anything, but I just feel more comfortable with 45...40 nice but the recoil is a real learning curve. Anyway, ammo is going up even 9mm and I feel like Im going to be forced into reloading eventually anyway...even with 9mm ya know?

·
Registered
802 Posts
IonBond is a black finish, but it can be done to either polished or bead blasted parts. When applied to a polished surface, it looks like a dark blueing. He does have other colors available and can do a hard chrome look too.

Why are you so caught up on recoil of 9mm? Recoil only affects you shooting if you are not paying attention to what you should be doing and only worrying about what the gun is doing after the bullet has left the barrel. The only thing that should be going through your head is sight picture and trigger control. Talk to any professional shooter and that's what they will tell you. Nowhere do they mention recoil.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IonBond is a black finish, but it can be done to either polished or bead blasted parts. When applied to a polished surface, it looks like a dark blueing. He does have other colors available and can do a hard chrome look too.

Why are you so caught up on recoil of 9mm? Recoil only affects you shooting if you are not paying attention to what you should be doing and only worrying about what the gun is doing after the bullet has left the barrel. The only thing that should be going through your head is sight picture and trigger control. Talk to any professional shooter and that's what they will tell you. Nowhere do they mention recoil.
Any idea of what his turn around time is?

Im not caught up with recoil of 9mm I was saying that between 40 and 45 I prefer 45 because its recoil is something I find easier to work with for quick followups the issue with 9mm I personally have is that I wont buy a gun that I wont carry, and I have never carried 9mm...I think after carrying nothing but 45 for most of my adult life (not counting the sub compact 40 I have) I would feel a bit under gunned with a 9mm....I know its a hot topic of debate and I dont want to start a debate, its just something that would take A LOT of getting used too. I figure if I start reloading and cut the cost down...other than the size and weight of a 45 gun, I could keep shooting and carrying that caliber.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts

IonBond has many coatings. Which ones are typically done on firearms? I didn't see any firearm recommended ones on their website, only for tooling.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Number 3 is your only choice. The reloading isn't going to come down soon but it will eventually as far a bullets and such drop in demand. the manufactures are running at the rate of war. and the scrap metel will come down thus making the return on 45 cal larger in time. TJ

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
IonBond on an STI

From what I've heard with IonBond, after you put a few thousand rounds through the gun, it still looks like the day it was finished. No wear marks anywhere. It's even harder than hard chrome. The industrial application of IonBond is in cutting tools.

They can do IonBond in matte, satin, and polished finish. Here's a picture from another forum. Both the gun and mags are finished in IonBond.

Scooter posted this STI wearing IonBond a while back

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really want something in the look of hard chrome. I have never heard of anyone having problems messing up hard chrome plating.

On another note if I can get reloading equipment for around 600 I can probably afford a uspc 45 fomr clydes as well. By reloading equipment I just mean the actual equipment not the brass, powder, books, or bullets. not sure if it can be done though. Definitely want dillon

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Have Ryan apply the hard chrome color IonBond then, it looks great on the tool parts on the web site - same look as hard chrome.

I think Im going to try the ODGreen on my green Tactical - emailed Ryan for color samples tonight.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts