HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying a registered sear currently installed in a Mp5k. Just got a copy if the form 4 and it says 9mm under caliber. Some sears are clearly register as 9mm/223/308 and go in different host guns. Seller suggests changing to all 3 cals when doing papers to my SOT or putting N/A. I want to use the sear on a 308 host which I am also buying from same seller.

1. Can I use this sear in a .308 host legally?
2. Can I change the caliber on transfer paperwork to all 3 or NA
3. What can go wrong here.
4. Does this affect value of the sear?

Your guidance is appreciated!!

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
1 - Yes, with the proper procedures.
2 - Won't matter.
3 - You'll shoot your eye out, kid.
4 - No.

Legend has it, BATFE started rejecting N/A and/or multiple calibers on the forms. So once the transfer clears, just send them a note requesting the alternate configuration of any and every caliber that tickles your fancy. Once you hear back, you're golden. Enjoy.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yea theyre kicking back multiple calibers on paperwork, both eform and hand written. Just keep it 9mm. No big deal really. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
That's how they registered in old days.
Registered in all 3 calibers... it's all marketing crap now days.
It doesn't matter, and nothing prevents you from changing calibers.
You DO NOT need to notify ATF when you change the host with different caliber.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Thats what happened when I had purchased my second MG 2 years back (Uzi). After the original owner sent in his form to start transfer, weeks later he contacted me to say ATF told him to switch the multiple caliber section to strictly 9mm only. When I had purchased my first MG before the Uzi which is the same setup you are buying it was originally reg in 9mm only so no hassle there.

·
Registered
593 Posts
+1 on what jsbsmarine said, they are only letting one caliber go on the form 4's now. Doesn't matter if it was 9mm/223/308 or N/A etc. Has to say one caliber. Like others said it doesn't matter but ATF is being picky about paperwork last few years

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yea theyre kicking back multiple calibers on paperwork, both eform and hand written. Just keep it 9mm. No big deal really. Good luck!
I just got my form 4 back on a Qualified sear, with multiple calibers listed, about 2 weeks ago.

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
1 with JT's post above and all others.
You are good to go.
Dont worry about the calibers, just have 1 listed on the form (these days, I guess). You can use that sear in any HK weapon it will basically fit in. Look in the reference library of this site for extensive details on registered sears and whatnot.. Welcome to the community. You'll love that sear.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
On my paperwork it lists 9mm, but in another section it says: sear to be used in .22, .308, and .223 as well

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Actually, if your paperwork says "9mm, 223, 308" now, keep it that way. Just duplicate the original owner's Form exactly. ATF is now totally paranoid about ANY differences on the Forms since Mac-10s started showing up in M-60 and Mag-58 form. If you WANT all 3 calibers listed with your paperwork (and it doesn't have it now) just file an Addendum listing all the calibers you want to use on it as well as various barrel lengths if desired. This is NOT necessary as MG status trumps all calibers and barrel/overall lengths you could ever want, but then a lot of people love that warm, fuzzy feeling that being OCD with paperwork gives one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Out of curiosity, do you happen to remember when you mailed out your form 4 and when it went pending?
i dont remember the dates. it was 10 months almost to the day. they kicked it back once, i had to send them the LLC "articles of organization".

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
This is why we can't have nice things.

I am thinking of buying a registered sear currently installed in a Mp5k. Just got a copy if the form 4 and it says 9mm under caliber. Some sears are clearly register as 9mm/223/308 and go in different host guns. Seller suggests changing to all 3 cals when doing papers to my SOT or putting N/A. I want to use the sear on a 308 host which I am also buying from same seller.

1. Can I use this sear in a .308 host legally?
2. Can I change the caliber on transfer paperwork to all 3 or NA
3. What can go wrong here.
4. Does this affect value of the sear?

Your guidance is appreciated!!
Are you the person that paid the Buy it Now price of $32,000 for a remarked SP89 with a Fleming sear?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=400392612
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...e machine gun : Machine Guns at GunBroker.com

I saw that one sitting at $20,000 then all of a sudden... SOLD.

This is why we can't have nice things.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey Michaelkih, just for reference I submitted a form 4 on June 7, 2013 and it was approved on March 19, 2014. Mine got kicked back too once for some nonsense...

·
Registered
919 Posts
MR Main I dont understand, are you upset that he paid that much for the package????,If that was him. Doc

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
MR Main I dont understand, are you upset that he paid that much for the package????,If that was him. Doc
Doc, yes. Yes I am. It's that kind of crazy that sets the new norm. Now Frank Goepfert and Ruben Mendiola say to themselves "well, I guess people are paying $32K for HK Sear guns" and now that becomes the baseline. It's the same "I'll pay anything" mentality that currently has a bulk pack of 22LR sitting at $70 a box. I know better, you know better, 80% of the shooting public knows better, but the people that have more money than sense are driving up the prices simply because they don't do 10 minutes of research and it hurts everyone else.

Ergo: "This is why we can't have nice things"

·
Registered
109 Posts
I turned in my Form 4 2 MAR 2014 via my gun trust.....I'll let you know when it arrives and is legal for me to use the suppressor I purchased. And I saw the $32k MP5 on GB. Just WOW.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts