HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to search my local gun stores in Houston for a NEW H&K P30 V1 Light LEM in 9mm. Anything I should look out for such as old models that may have known issues, etc.?

I already learned to avoid those that come with only 10-round mags (TX does not restrict mag capacity)...

I'm assuming the best advice is to simply purchase those with a more recent date code - yes?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
What is the issue with P30's with 10-round mags? Latest and newest is the best scenario to buy a gun, but I have purchased pre-owned HKs and they are superb firearms. I know of no issues regarding the P30 or the P30L and I own both.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Have one of he early P30s in 40 S&W when they were shipped V2.
If it's a factory V1? It's a newer gun anyway.
Although I've never read of any issues with any of them from the beginning :cool:
Mine has been converted to V1 and has been flawless.
If it's a NIB Hk?
You've got nothing to worry about :wink:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the issue with P30's with 10-round mags? Latest and newest is the best scenario to buy a gun, but I have purchased pre-owned HKs and they are superb firearms. I know of no issues regarding the P30 or the P30L and I own both.
Nothing is "wrong" with those that come with 10-round mags. It's just that I do not live in a state that restricts magazine capacity so it would be foolish for me to purchase one w/ low capacity mags...

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Both of my P30's were purchased used. One early serial # and one fairly new. No issues with either. Good luck with your search!!! You may want to check out the for sale section of this forum....I have seen very good deals there on P30's lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
You could always flip the 10-rounders to someone in a state that needs them to offset initial cost. As far as I know, there are no issue with the P30 series. I have one in 9mm and one in .40/.357 Sig that have run flawlessly for me. Enjoy the new gun!
Nothing is "wrong" with those that come with 10-round mags. It's just that I do not live in a state that restricts magazine capacity so it would be foolish for me to purchase one w/ low capacity mags...

·
Registered
711 Posts
By all means if you can get a great deal on a P30 and it happens to have to 10rd mags in the box then get it. But I'm a magazine whore, more is always good. All the P30's should be good to go though. Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
My best advice is if you are set on getting a P30, then get a P30.

But those P30L's sure look pretty too....oooo... and look at those USP tatical's...and look over there! There's a Mark 23!:eek:

See what I mean...it gets to be an obsession:44:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I purchased a P30 LEM LE used on gunbroker...looked like it had never been fired.
I wouldn't worry about finding a recent model...I was against older used firearms for years, but you can find some great deals on pre-owned firearms.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Too true! Took the plunge on a P30 a little over 18 months ago, now I have five HKs in the safe, and everything else has been sold.

My best advice is if you are set on getting a P30, then get a P30.

But those P30L's sure look pretty too....oooo... and look at those USP tatical's...and look over there! There's a Mark 23!:eek:

See what I mean...it gets to be an obsession:44:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick update...purchased one online (V1) and shot 100 rounds with only one issue (FTF). That, however, was due to shooting one-handed with my non-dominant hand so I attribute it to limp wristing.

Oh, and the date code is BH so it was just produced in the past few months...pretty cool :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Congrats man! The P30 V1 was my gateway drug to HKs. There are few pistols that I enjoy shooting as much as that 9mm.
Quick update...purchased one online (V1) and shot 100 rounds with only one issue (FTF). That, however, was due to shooting one-handed with my non-dominant hand so I attribute it to limp wristing.

Oh, and the date code is BH so it was just produced in the past few months...pretty cool :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
I found a P30LS LEM (yep, one of the 500, as the legend goes...) w/ two 15 Rd mags, but without the box, or any additional HK accessories. The price was low, and I offered lower.

Bought the gun for the wife, and it serves as her primary HD pistol to this day. Works ALL day long, and then some. Don't pass on an "orphaned" gun, or one the comes with 10 rounders. To borrow, and paraphrase a saying I've heard many times in my aviation career, "the gun doesn't know how many rounds it has in it".

·
Registered
95 Posts
Great advice with an HK. Kraut space magic.
I found a P30LS LEM (yep, one of the 500, as the legend goes...) w/ two 15 Rd mags, but without the box, or any additional HK accessories. The price was low, and I offered lower.

Bought the gun for the wife, and it serves as her primary HD pistol to this day. Works ALL day long, and then some. Don't pass on an "orphaned" gun, or one the comes with 10 rounders. To borrow, and paraphrase a saying I've heard many times in my aviation career, "the gun doesn't know how many rounds it has in it".

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

With a new 9mm recommend you run heavier full powered ammo until the RSA breaks in (124/147 gr).
Afterwards you should be able to run low powered light range fodder (115 gr).
Although I carry and shoot only 147 gr in my VP9/P30SK.
They have been flawless from day one :biggrin:

My P30 is a 40 S&W.
NIB first box of GDHPs had one FTF.
After that 2K of anything under the sun and flawless :biggrin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts