HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for an mp5k and wanted to get everyone's thoughts first. Is there anything I should look for/avoid when looking for a gun? Are there any online class3 dealers that you would recommend/ advise against using? Any other tips or advise would be greatly apperciated!
John

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Wow, those are some big questions. I think answering a few questions would help narrow your questions up, at least for me. Have you read "The Complete Reference on the Legal NFA Conversion of HK Firearms" The Complete Reference on the Legal NFA Conversion of HK Firearms ? If so what type of conversion are you looking for? If you're going the sear route, are you looking for a HK host or clone?

As far as dealers, I'm aware that Subguns has a recommended dealers list. For me personally, I'm very happy with my Fleming sear. The versatility has a great appeal to me. I usually shoot one gun at a time so the sear allows me to go from a pistol caliber subgun (like a K) to a rifle caliber belt fed. Good luck with your purchase.

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Is there anything I should look for/avoid when looking for a gun?
Do you want a visually/mechanically correct swing down lower, or a sear conversion? I prefer the sear for the utility of being able to move it host to host.

Are there any online class3 dealers that you would recommend/ advise against using?
+1 to subguns recommended dealers list.
Also give a call to Mike @ TSC machine. He may know of customers looking to sell things.

Any other tips or advise would be greatly apperciated
Stock up on a drum full of chill. Transfers are running 7+ months right now. If you buy out of state on a form 4, you've got 2 transfers to do, and you may be looking at a year and a half before its in your safe at home.

You may also be able to find a H&K 89, or clone, and buy as a title 1 pistol. Get it in hand and fill out a form 1. Then you can enjoy it while the paper work goes through the system.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scott: looks like I have some reading to do.. I do like the idea of a sear that could go between a pistol and rifle. So I might be better off getting a sear seperately from the gun. Thanks for the advise.

Jdonovan: I would love a true hk gun, but the more I read a sear seems like the best route. I will have to check out subguns for more info. I currently have 3 suppressors pending and a form1 to sbr my usc also pending. That said, I hate waiting... The 2 transfers part would suck, I will have to limit my search to sc, before looking elsewhere. Thank you for the advise.
John

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
The 2 transfers part would suck, I will have to limit my search to sc, before looking elsewhere. Thank you for the advise.
A form3 to your local dealer from an out of state dealer is usually reasonably quick... a month or so.

Check the adds, most will list if the item is a form 3, or 4.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
After you read the link Scottinthegrove posted and understand how the transferables work you can also consider a registered trigger box as a third option. Shattered Mind who posts here regularly has a friend that had a few left for purchase. I went with a Fleming sear in a vollmer converted HK94 but if I had it all to do over again would gone the registered box route and some new hosts built by some of the really good clone builders that are doing work these days. Your original post said an MP5K so not sure if there are any front push pin swing down registered receivers of that particular variant. I have never seen one. As expensive as these things are now days I would prefer not to be locked into one particular gun that a registered receiver would be. The sear or trigger box give you flexibility to have multiple guns running on one machine gun tax stamp.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Welcome to the shopping for a new HK host gun and I am assuming a sear or trigger pack to go with it. Should be an interesting discussion and if you were near Indiana, would say when do you wish to go shoot a few MP5K's, MP5s and of course a HK53s (IMO a must have HK host gun ... along with something having a belt ;-) as most everyone in the group has all four (i.e. MP5K-PDW, MP5A2/A3, "HK"53 and MM23e). However, looks like too long a drive to SC and no shoot at KCR this spring, thus the best I can offer is a few postings, exchange of PMs and/or e-mails or phone calls.

Have an initial question - have you fired a MP5K along side a MP5? The MP5K is "cooler" but the MP5 is a little slower rate of fire, little easier to make run 101% and better for sub gun matches. My son's favorite of the two is the MP5K (but still behind the Thompson ;-).

The first discussion points are to focus on what are you looking for:
- Are you after a nice shooter or looking for a near as possible factory correct MP5K for collecting that will never see much time out of the safe?
- There are not that many transferable push pin MP5K's around, appears to be a lot less than push pin MP5s. Anyone have a nominal number or just sound off if you have seen one ;-).
- If you are a shooter, would recommend getting a sear or consider one of the remaining (if any) converted trigger packs from Doug (Shattered can give you contact information).
- Do you wish to own a MP5K (pistol length with no three lug muzzle) or a MP5K-PDW or just a MP5K size gun for shooting full auto (i.e. modern 3rd party stocks and optics allowed)?
- The MP5K is the smallest (by an inch or two ;-), fits in an un-modified brief case and can have a stock added for better off hand fire (vs using the sling/holster in tension).
- A basic shooter grade gun would be a HK SP89 with sear in a sear pack (note I prefer a SEF pack over a burst pack), K trigger housing, selector, stock and K grip plus possible a paddle mag release.
- Next upgrade is a 3 lug barrel, which you have options: Factory MP5K-PDW for over a grand now day plus installing, HK94 barrel shortened and adapter installed, CHs added three lug and RCM barrels.
- Do you wish to have the gun remarked from SP89 to MP5KN (or what ever is correct ... myself being a shooter my SP89 still says SP89 until is visits Terry or Mike one of these days)?
- If you are going with a factory barrel and having the gun remarked, might be easiest to find an already converted gun with these features.

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
My buddy still has some registered trigger boxes left. Somebody was supposed to take two of them but never bothered to send the check... so at least two are left... maybe more. If that's the way you want to go, gimme a PM asap.
Added kinda cool note... At least five transfers have cleared from Doug's name to where ever they were going in under 5 weeks. Two of them took only a day or two over 4 weeks. His examiner must like him... or something. :biggrin:

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
Dark Phoenix,

What everyone above is wanting to know is....Are you a shooter or a collector ( not saying one is better than the other). Shooters tend to go with registered sears and have a bevy of hosts laying around to move that sear into. Many of their hosts are quite the bastards of the machine gun world. My latest example is a PTR 32...American made, German roller lock design, Fleming sear, shooting AK47 round....one BIG LOVE family there. The other type of MG'er is the collector. They go for true to factory guns, safe queens, investments, safe wall hangers, etc. Of course you have other MG types like subgun competitors, etc as well who are all into accuracy and speed.

I have an MP5k...it was my first MG. It's a converted HK SP89 with a Fleming sear. That's the type of MP5k you'll probably see the most of (along with S&H sear gun, etc) when searching for a purchase. I do rec' them. They are fun but I like my 53 the best. To each his own. They are all fun and interesting.

MP5k's aren't cheap and no good deals exist on them for the most part. I'd guess $17,000 - $20,000 as a range.

Each day do a quick glance at sturm and subguns MGs for sale ad. boards and it may be best to post a WTB ad on those boards. Definitely cross reference the seller before sending off $20k in the mail, etc. Chances are very very high that someone will know of the seller. It's a small world. If you are more comfortable going thru a dealer...as the others state....a subgun rec'd dealer list is a great start.

Happy Hunting!

HH

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, thank you everyone for the great responses.
I am looking for a fun gun to shoot, collectability is secondary. From reading, if I were to get a trigger box, I would be able to install it in an hk gun or a clone like Dakota Tactical. That would be great. The ability to move it from gun to gun would work out well. Shattered Mind, I will probably be sending you a pm soon. Thanks again everyone!
John

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
DP...the DLO trigger boxes seem to run about $1k-$2k more than a sear in SEF pack but they take all HK factory internals and would never be expected to have any timing issues. That said, SEF sear packs rarely need parts replaced (I cant remember of ever hearing of a part needed) and re-timed hammers seem to do the trick for most timing issues.

Bottom line is that you'll be happy with either I'm sure.

-HH

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
That said, SEF sear packs rarely need parts replaced (I cant remember of ever hearing of a part needed) and re-timed hammers seem to do the trick for most timing issues.
Me... I've broken some internal parts (who else, right?). First I broke a Vollmer re-timed hammer and replaced it with a Dyer re-timed hammer. Also had a trigger travel-limit plug break weld and fall out... and snapped one re-bent sear spring. Two actually, second one broke while installing it. Musta been stressed one time too many when being bent for "H" series sear use. Also broke/lost one ejector axle spring. Usually, you just lose the axle... oh no, not me. Friggin' thing broke and punched a hole in my best nose-pickin' finger.

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
shattered...no crap? well then again from your post count I've bet you've thrown a gazillion rounds down range...more than a lifetime's worth.

Thinking back...I did have a hammer break in half cleanly. It broke on the first use in someone else's 23 clone for some reason. Other than that maybe all I've personally swapped out or messed with was that tiny ejector lever spring.

-HH

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
shattered...no crap? well then again from your post count I've bet you've thrown a gazillion rounds down range...more than a lifetime's worth.

Thinking back...I did have a hammer break in half cleanly. It broke on the first use in someone else's 23 clone for some reason. Other than that maybe all I've personally swapped out or messed with was that tiny ejector lever spring.

-HH

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
I've def had an ejector fracture as well. But I've never really had to "repair" a sear pack in the true sense of the word...

hh

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
The slot on the ejector tends to get a burr after a few dozen cases of ammo, that needs to be dressed up with a file; the axial pin get lost or develops a burr in the ejector; trip levers tend to wear and on a bad day have seen the sear punched out the bottom of the trigger pack (KCR and was glad it was not mine ;-).

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I am going to look for an mp5 that has a registered trigger pack. That way I am good to go with one complete gun and have the option to move the trigger pack to another gun in the future.

I want to thank all of you for your input and help, I really appreciate it!
John

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you are looking for a reputable dealer contact Ruben Mendiola In Miami 305-271-3436, I know him personally. I have bought various MG's from him and have never had a problem with any of the guns.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I think I am going to look for an mp5 that has a registered trigger pack. That way I am good to go with one complete gun and have the option to move the trigger pack to another gun in the future.

I want to thank all of you for your input and help, I really appreciate it!
John
Have not seen many that way, but only been watching since the 90's .... most likely will have to buy the registered trigger pack and then ad it to a MP5 or MP5K. Note once the DLO trigger packs are gone it will be about as easy to find one as a DIAS for an AR15 (inside humor as one of the guys was looking for M16 options to added to the collection and I was not able to talk him into staying strictly HK plus belt guns ....)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts