HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, about to buy a P2000sk but I'm torn between the 9mm and .40. I know these types of posts are annoying but not one major range around me has both to try. Now I recognize both calibers to be fantastic rounds and this post isn't about which one is best, rather how satisfied were you with your choice. I have a P2000 in 9mm and the Hk45c with plans on adding more after the P2000sk. My only experience with a .40 in the last 10 years was with my friend's Glock 23. He also had his G19 and surprisingly, I shot and liked the G23 better, which seems completely opposite of what I expected. I know this isn't an accurate comparison, but it's the best I have. Already having P2000 9mm mags really isn't a factor for me. I figure if I'm going to spend the kind of money a P2000sk brings, a couple extra mags aren't going to break me. What I don't want is to spend that kind of money and then say, "I should have gotten the other one". Again, just looking for experiences, not trying to start a holy war between caliber choices. Thanks!

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,560 Posts
For me, with hand guns, I own 9mm and .45. I see no real need for .40. One reason is that it just makes my ammuntion purchasing and storing easier, but also because if I feel that I need more than a 9mm, why just go up to .40 when you can have a .45. All of the HK pistols since the USP are designed to take the punishment that +P and +P+ ammunition delivers. That type of ammo in 9mm is very similar to the performance of a .40.
I'm sure this will draw the wrath of those who are .40 fans, but in the spirit of recommendations and debate, accept this as my humble opinion.

·
Registered
890 Posts
For me, with hand guns, I own 9mm and .45. I see no real need for .40. One reason is that it just makes my ammuntion purchasing and storing easier, but also because if I feel that I need more than a 9mm, why just go up to .40 when you can have a .45. All of the HK pistols since the USP are designed to take the punishment that +P and +P+ ammunition delivers. That type of ammo in 9mm is very similar to the performance of a .40.
I'm sure this will draw the wrath of those who are .40 fans, but in the spirit of recommendations and debate, accept this as my humble opinion.
Same for me...9's and 45's...I've owned .40 and it's a great round, but with the performance of 9mm +p and +p+, I prefer the 9mm. If I want a bigger round, straight to .45 for me...I love my sk 9mm, and having the extra mags (for me P30 mags) is a benefit.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
My opinions of the .40 aside, deviating away from the ideal Glock formula of 9mm and full-size will net you more reliability issues (relatively speaking). The Glock in .40 wears some of the internal components 2-3x faster than that of the 9mm. For example, we have to change-out our recoil spring assemblies in 2500-3000 rounds while G17 users can get by with more than 2x that round count (IIRC...I don't have the manual in front of me). If you can shoot the G23 well, and you like it, then go for it. However, I think that many here will agree that you already have some excellent CC options that are difficult to surpass.

If you go the Glock route, do yourself a favor and find a Gen 3 and skip the Gen 4. Based on our results, the Gen4 22s we got were a downgrade.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Same for me...9's and 45's...I've owned .40 and it's a great round, but with the performance of 9mm +p and +p+, I prefer the 9mm. If I want a bigger round, straight to .45 for me...I love my sk 9mm, and having the extra mags (for me P30 mags) is a benefit.
Not sure how many "same for me" post are helpful here, but I feel the same way. Well, except I really disliked my .40 Glock. Sold it for a .45 and never looked back. I prefer the recoil of a .45. Between a .40 and a 9mm, it's 9mm all the way.

·
Registered
619 Posts
9MM, easier to control in the smaller frame.
This ^.

In addition I used to own a 40 in a subcompact frame years ago and in addition to the snappines in that little pistol, it just made ammo buying a pain. Once I got my collection down to just 9mm and .45 life got easier for me. Dont mess with the recipe, just keep doing what you're doing and get more and more proficient with the calibers you have.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd get it in the 9mm, in fact that's my next pistol. In your case you can use your P2000 mag with the SK if you get it in 9mm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for suggestions everyone. Oklahoma has just passed an open-carry law which takes effect in November. I can't see myself carrying open, but what I'm looking forward to is being able to carry OWB with a shirt over the weapon and not worry if I'm printing a little or if the muzzle end of the holster sticks out some in certain situations. IWB and I have never gotten along no matter how many different pistol/holster combinations I've tried, so I'm really looking forward to OWB. I'm thinking Mitch Rosen UPL Express for the P2000sk and a Rosen 5JR Express for the HK45c and P2000 (the P2000 should fit in same holster as the 45c). Oh, and another thing. That friend of mine who had the G19 and G23 is now saving up for his first HK after he shot my P2000 and 45c. The addiction has grabbed another unsuspecting soul...

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Im pretty much a .45 only shooter. Currently all the handguns I own are .45

There is nothing that a .40 does that a .45 cant do. Plus I love the push a .45 gives when shooting rather than a snap.

I would choose the 9mm. 9MM hollowpoint is extremely effective, you can hold more rounds and your already familiar with 9mm. Plus for practice the cost difference is HUGE. 40 is not much cheaper than .45

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've owned USP's in 9mm, .40S&W and .45. Based on that, if I were to get a subcompact pistol, it would be 9mm and I wouldn't even think twice about it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would choose the 9mm as it just makes more sense. If 9mm isn't enough, then .45acp will certainly fill the void. I sold all of my .40 caliber pistols because I saw no need to have it when the cost of .45acp ammo is almost the same. Plus, I shoot 10mm also which more than makes up for any 9mm short commings. The felt recoil difference and ability to get back on target quicker with 9mm is another thing to consider.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I would choose the 9mm as it just makes more sense. If 9mm isn't enough, then .45acp will certainly fill the void. I sold all of my .40 caliber pistols because I saw no need to have it when the cost of .45acp ammo is almost the same. Plus, I shoot 10mm also which more than makes up for any 9mm short commings. The felt recoil difference and ability to get back on target quicker with 9mm is another thing to consider.
+1.

·
Registered
818 Posts
+1

My thoughts exactly, go with the 9mm.

I have a 9mm P2000 SK V3. It's a real tack driver and a pleasure to shoot at extended range sessions.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I own .40s exclusively...I can say there are some valid concerns here and some of our fellow members who need to read a little less Cooper and a little more Ayoob (no offenses intended guys!)

In this case I would say the 9mm would have several advantages--magazine capacity being a biggie--and the fact you have no other .40s means it will be a much easier platform to feed...and as stated small-frame semi-autos are a bit tricky to control on .40...however 9mm +Ps are gonna take some getting used...

.40s&w really is a 'cult' round...no denying that...which means in turn a 9mm P2k will be much easier to trade or sell if it doesn't fit the bill...

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have the p2000sk in 40, even so I'd lean to the 9mm for you. I bought the 40 because it was the 1st to come on my radar screen slightly used, it's an LEM trigger. Not to long ago I wanted a lighter all around 9mm & went with a Gen III Glock 26, that was over the 40 s&w Glock 27. Just go with quality ammo for the 9mm & you will be fine. The P2000sk is a great choice.

Have you decided on a trigger type yet? Since you mention carry how about the simple LEM trigger? No it's not made to compete at the range next to a 1911, but it really shines for carry. There is plenty written about it here, 'light' LEM is an option too if desired.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have P2000 LEM V1 and P2000 SK LEM V1. Both 9mm. They use the same holsters. P2000 SK with x-grip will take 13 rounder mag from P2000. I have also 45c and out of three holster two of them work also with 45C. All grips feel very similar.
Practical package.
Vodek

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.