HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new USP40 and I want another HK. I can't decide between USP45 or -- don't laugh now -- another USP40. It would be nice to have a matched pair (mag swapping, 1 caliber to own and master, etc.), and the USP40 fits my hand and carries so well.

On the other hand, I have a lot of trigger time on 1911s, so I'm also a .45 fan, and I love the look of the USP45. I have one on hold right now and I have to decide. Are they the sierra hotel india tango like everyone says...? Is my USP experience complete without a USP45...?

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think it is safe to say, there is no true need for another USP40. You could go with either ther hk45 or the usp45 and have a blast. I would recommend the hk45. It adds some flavor to your growing collection.

If you wanted to keep the .40, I would say check out the p2000 or the USPc just for the added flavor as well.

Goodluck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks cs. I think another caliber is a good idea.

My local shop will have the HK45 in a month or so, and I admit they look pretty sweet -- the grip contours seem overdue -- but it's also $75 more than a USP 45 which is in stock right now.

The one I have on hold has a very nice trigger break. Guns, like guitars, are pretty individual in fit and feel, so this is a bird in the hand, as it were.

·
Registered
173 Posts
dont wait get the usp 45 now. of all my firearms that one is by FAR! my favorite. get it now and i promise you wont be disapointed

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
A USP .45 Tactical would be a VERY nice addition to your collection.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
If you like the USPf .40 you will LOVE the USPc .40.

Personally, I wouldn't buy an exact duplicate unless I was collecting one and shooting the other. No sense collecting USPs, they are everywhere! Also, you could just buy some spare mags. for your existing USP. They are pricey, but way cheaper than another USP.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Wow... I like the black on orange. The Compacts admittedly look nice, but I like as much barrel as I can carry. I conceal the USPF well, so there's no real need for anything smaller.

Is there anything I need to know about the tactical? Is that extra bit of threaded barrel also rifled...? I'll bet finding a holster is an interesting proposition. How many people that have a threaded barrel, do you suppose, also have a suppressor...?

Does the tactical have a better trigger? I've been reading about the Match and the LEM triggers, but I don't know what comes on what (I'll assume the Expert has the match trigger).

Hey Harbinger, is your avatar a photo of a giant ammo store? If it is, do you have a larger copy? Wouldn't mind that on a screen saver. (I wrote ops manuals for a bank once -- worst job of my life -- and the VP saw me looking at ARs online one day. He asked half-seriously whether I was planning to come in and shoot everybody. I paused for a second and said "I don't have to come in -- you have a window office." It was a stupid question, and it got a stuipid answer.)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Thanks cs. I think another caliber is a good idea.

My local shop will have the HK45 in a month or so, and I admit they look pretty sweet -- the grip contours seem overdue -- but it's also $75 more than a USP 45 which is in stock right now.

The one I have on hold has a very nice trigger break. Guns, like guitars, are pretty individual in fit and feel, so this is a bird in the hand, as it were.
What price did you get for the HK45? CDNN for $850. Have you looked at the P30?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The HK45 is $840 in my my area + 10 for background, so basically the same price without adding the $45,000 for shipping and the $35 FFL transfer.

They have a P30, and the grip felt good (though not appreciably better than the USP already feels), but I'm not a 9mm guy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The HK45 is $840 in my my area + 10 for background, so basically the same price without adding the $45,000 for shippig and the $35 FFL transfer.

They have a P30, and the grip felt good (though not appreciably better than the USP already feels), but I'm not a 9mm guy.
If I may ask, who has a HK45 for $840 in Oregon? Keith's in Gresham?

·
Registered
383 Posts
The only HK I currently own is a USPf .40sw.

I would recommend the P30, but since you like longer barrel's, it might be better to wait until the P30L makes it over here. The P30L is the reason I sold my P2k. It's also the reason I am hesitant to buy another 9mm. Unless I get a great deal on a P2K 9mm, that's the gun I'm waiting for.

If you really want a .45, you have lots of options from HK.

If you want another .40, you might be better off waiting to see what HK brings out here in the next year or so. You might find yourself wanting a P30 or P30L in .40, if you're willing to wait that is.

No matter what you choose, if it's got HK engraved on it, you've got a winner.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yes, Keiths. He doesn't have one now, but when he has them, that's what he charges. I believe they're expecting a shipment in early February. He said the last 5 they had sold before they were even carried upstairs.

I liked the feel of the P30, but I love the thumb safety on the USP. It does so much. I like that I can load the chamber, decock, and put the safety on with the hammer down. That rocks. That's how it sits in the house, where I have kids. For carry, it's in DA mode. What a concept. Beats Glock, Walther, Sig, and 1911 designs, in my opinion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dont shy away from the p2000. Its the "updated" USP. You do lose the safety, but the decocker exists (i never learned to trust a safety, so the lack of one has no effect on me.)

Im jealous, I wish my only decision is which model!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well... that's interesting too. Haven't looked at the P2000. I guess I assumed it was like the SigPro was to the P226 (which is to say, not much). I'll look into it, thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I liked the feel of the P30, but I love the thumb safety on the USP. It does so much. I like that I can load the chamber, decock, and put the safety on with the hammer down. That rocks. That's how it sits in the house, where I have kids. For carry, it's in DA mode. What a concept. Beats Glock, Walther, Sig, and 1911 designs, in my opinion.
judging by this post I'd say stick with the usp line and go with a tactical or expert. oring barrel, adjustable sights, and the match trigger will make you very happy

·
Registered
64 Posts
My vote would be for you to acquire a HK45, broknprism -- you won't be disappointed based on your affinity for H&K design/products...

The HK45 was the pistol H&K developed for the now discontinued trials to find a replacement US Military standard issued sidearm to retire/replace the underpowered (IMO & the military) Beretta M9 (9mm) -- from my understanding, the front-line troopers wanted a .45ACP design, not another (what they considered) underpowered 9mm...

Since it was designed to survive the rigors of DoD testing, me thinks you'll have a solid, no nonsense firearm of the highest order. In variant 1, it just might be the perfect sidearm for the military, all things considered. I doubt, however, that the Military minds would allow the variant 1, but instead opt for a LEM like trigger design, the same trigger system approved for the armed airline pilot's program (H&K USPc in .40 S&W)...

Good luck in whatever you decide...

DISCLAIMER: The preceding personal opinions are just that -- opinions. They were derived through study & reading, from conversations with other firearm enthusiasts, and by finalizing my own experiences regarding the subject at hand; the comments are not intended as a slight against any other opinion/opinions from forum members or administrators...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Made my choice

Hey, thanks to everyone for chiming in. All the ideas were good ones. I went with the USP45 I had put on hold -- it's got everything I like about the USP40 (which is a lot) and a very impressive business end.

Sitting down for the New Gun clean & lube ceremony now, and maybe I'll get some pictures of the boys together. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts