HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I recently acquired a BW-89 in a trade. Yesterday, I finally got to try it out at the range. This is my first HK submachine gun so bear with me. I set the rear sight to the "1" position ( not quite sure what all the positions are for), and ran a mag of Federal 115gr FMJ thru it just to see how it function. Had 2 FTEs on that mag and all the rounds were shooting high and to the left. The trigger felt very stiff and had alot of travel. My bw-89 is completely stock (I think) and it came with a metal SEF lower. This is where my first two questions come in.

1. How to get a better trigger?
2 What to replace in it to make it better?

So I ran 2 more mags of ammo thru it. It again shot high and to the left. Also had 5 more FTEs.

I attribute shooting left to the trigger, but I did not know why it was shooting high. I had 2 thoughts in mind as to why this was happening. One was I did not know how to use the rear sight.(somewhat unlikely) The second thought and the one I hope was not true, was that the bullets were striking the barrel extention. So I took the gun apart and looked into the barrel. There was a shiny spot at the 6 o'clock position in the barrel extention. There was fouling everywhere else in the extention except for that spot, well more like a streak than a spot. So I am 90% confident that this was the reason I was shooting high. This brings up 2 more questions.

3. Am I getting bullet strikes in the barrel extention?
4. How do I fix that? I am assuming I will have to send it in to Bobcat/Red Rock Arms

Since I was having alot of FTEs I though I'd switch ammo and ran some S&B 115gr FMJ thru it to see if this will make any difference . Same result, averaging 1 FTE every 15 rounds. Mostly when the last round was fed from the mag. But I think this has to do with the mag I used. Its an FD coded HK mag and the only one that was having issues with the last round. My other 2 LE marked HK mags were just fine on the last round.
I switched ammo one more time and put away the troubled mag. This time I used Winchested Ranger SXT 147gr. The case on this ammo is very slick and I thought it would be alot easier to cycle it in the gun. But that was not the case, out of 50 rounds of SXT the gun had 5 FTEs. So this brings me to my last and final question.

5. How do I fix the FTEs?

Any help witll be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
95 Posts
First off, are the empy brass cases dribbling out of the ejection port or are they being forcefully ejected? If the former, it is most likely that you will need to replace the extractor spring. Also if you replace the hammer spring (your gun has a .308 hammer spring installed) with a 9mm one, the action will cycle smoother with less resistance. It is possible that you are getting bullet strikes inside the extention...it could be because the extention isn't properly centered or it could be because of your shooting style. Have someone else fire the gun and see how that compares. The rear sight adjusts for elevation differently than "traditional" sights. If you look down on the top of the drum, you will see that the inside of the drum (where it rotates on the axle) will be 2 spring loaded pins that lock into 2 of the 4 notches on the drum. H&K has a special tool, but a pair of electrician's needle nose pliers will do the same job. You will need to retract both pins and then rotate the drum up or down to adjust the elevation. When the pins are locked in place, you can rotate the drum for a different apature size without affecting elevation.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Send your trigger pack to Bill Springfield, he does wonders with triggers...

Also, I had to replace the extractor and extractor spring to clean up the same ejection issue with mine...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First off, are the empy brass cases dribbling out of the ejection port or are they being forcefully ejected? If the former, it is most likely that you will need to replace the extractor spring. Also if you replace the hammer spring (your gun has a .308 hammer spring installed) with a 9mm one, the action will cycle smoother with less resistance. It is possible that you are getting bullet strikes inside the extention...it could be because the extention isn't properly centered or it could be because of your shooting style. Have someone else fire the gun and see how that compares. The rear sight adjusts for elevation differently than "traditional" sights. If you look down on the top of the drum, you will see that the inside of the drum (where it rotates on the axle) will be 2 spring loaded pins that lock into 2 of the 4 notches on the drum. H&K has a special tool, but a pair of electrician's needle nose pliers will do the same job. You will need to retract both pins and then rotate the drum up or down to adjust the elevation. When the pins are locked in place, you can rotate the drum for a different apature size without affecting elevation.
The empties are actualy getting stuck in the action. It seems to me that it should throw the cases farther that it does. My HK USP Tac throws cases farther than the BW-89 does.
How could my shooting style affect the bullet strikes in the barrel extention?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Thanks Schrambo! If it's an SEF pack I can set you up, I have done several for customers that use them in competition. If it's a burst pack I avoid those, just too complicated. Jayson at IGF maybe able to help you out there.

Bill

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks Schrambo! If it's an SEF pack I can set you up, I have done several for customers that use them in competition. If it's a burst pack I avoid those, just too complicated. Jayson at IGF maybe able to help you out there.

Bill
LWnemisis' BW89 has a metal SEF pack so you're good... I still have to send my other packs to you, including my BW89s...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts