HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Got bit by the HK bug and now own a PTR91 A3R, GI and a C93 that runs like a champ. I was looking into different magazines for it and picked up a steel 30 rounder but it doesnt lock in. Anyone had this issue with steel magazines vs aluminum? I assumed theyd be the same spec as the aluminum 40s they are sold with.

I own several of the clear MKE mags, and after opening up the latching area a bit with a dremel they work fine. Any thoughts on how I can get the steel ones to work without grinding at the magazine? Is there a way to modify the magazine catch of a C93 to work more "universally" ?

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
With the C93, it really helps me to follow some advice in the manual on how to change magazines: they say to always lock the bolt back before removing the empty magazine, then insert the full one, then give the charging handle the "HK Chop." With HK aluminum magazines (very well used), I don't really have to lock the bolt back first. With ProMag plastic magazines, I do need to do this, and if I do as the manual says, I don't need to modify the magazines to get them to work 100%.

Recently I got a bunch of the MKE magazines, and they won't work without modification.

I've never tried the steel magazines, new or otherwise.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The official procedure for a mag change is to lock the bolt back first and then insert magazine. If the mag locks in and rifle functions properly when done this way there is nothing wrong with the magazine and no action needs to be taken as the rifle was never intended to reload with the bolt closed.

I believe the slightly thinner and more flexible feed lips on the aluminum mags as compared to steel are more forgiving of a bolt closed reload. All my aluminums will lock in place with bolt closed on my PTR91 however some of them take a firm slap to do so. I have no steel mags to compare.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
I've run steel and aluminum mags in my C93 and C93P with no issues. The only mags that don't work are the Promag ones (I haven't had an MKE mag to try). So, I think there is definitely something up with your gun.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I've run steel and aluminum mags in my C93 and C93P with no issues. The only mags that don't work are the Promag ones (I haven't had an MKE mag to try). So, I think there is definitely something up with your gun.
The OP isn't saying his mags don't work, just that they don't lock in with bolt closed.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
The OP isn't saying his mags don't work, just that they don't lock in with bolt closed.
Actually, that isn't what SOV13T said at all.

Got bit by the HK bug and now own a PTR91 A3R, GI and a C93 that runs like a champ. I was looking into different magazines for it and picked up a steel 30 rounder but it doesnt lock in. Anyone had this issue with steel magazines vs aluminum? I assumed theyd be the same spec as the aluminum 40s they are sold with.

I own several of the clear MKE mags, and after opening up the latching area a bit with a dremel they work fine. Any thoughts on how I can get the steel ones to work without grinding at the magazine? Is there a way to modify the magazine catch of a C93 to work more "universally" ?

He was saying it didn't lock into place, like his MKE plastic mags, which required modification to lock in. On the 3 C93s I have owned (and still own 2 of them), the aluminum and steel mags lock in fine, with no issues. Only the plastic mags are problematic (something that is a common issue with C93s, either due to Century's build or the Malaysian parts they are using... or both). So, if he is having problems with a steel mag, unless the mag is out of spec, then he might have something up with his gun.

NuJudge, on the other hand, is able to get Promags to lock into his gun with the bolt open (which I wish would be the case with my guns). So clearly, there is a range of tolerances on the Century builds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got a 4 pack of 40 round mags, surplus and some didnt lock in, I was able to pry out slightly on the left side ans they seemed "pinched and viola~ snap in and stay in! The little slot on the outer side let me get a small screw driver in and reaaaaly gently pull out the side.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Actually, that isn't what SOV13T said at all.

He was saying it didn't lock into place, like his MKE plastic mags, which required modification to lock in. On the 3 C93s I have owned (and still own 2 of them), the aluminum and steel mags lock in fine, with no issues. Only the plastic mags are problematic (something that is a common issue with C93s, either due to Century's build or the Malaysian parts they are using... or both). So, if he is having problems with a steel mag, unless the mag is out of spec, then he might have something up with his gun.

NuJudge, on the other hand, is able to get Promags to lock into his gun with the bolt open (which I wish would be the case with my guns). So clearly, there is a range of tolerances on the Century builds.
Apologies, upon rereading it I see that your interpretation of the OP's statement is more then likely the correct one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but curious if OP remedied his issue.
I recently purchased 2 steel HK 30 rounders for my C93 and have the same problem. My aluminum 20 and 40 rounders work great. My steel 30's do not lock in solidly. In some cases I thought they did but after feeding 2 rounds they would come loose. Further investigation revealed that even when they seem locked some firm pulling could unseat them. The rear part of the mag comes loose while the front still needs the mag release pressed to unlock. To be clear I am not trying to lock up the mags with a closed bolt.
Any help would be wonderful, these mags cost a dang fortune.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My steel mags did the same thing. I milled 1/4mm off the top edge where it locks in the mag pocket.
Works fine now and you cant tell the mags were altered.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have had this same issue with my EARLY, Special Weapons receivered C93. This is the one that more closely mimics a real HK 93 receiver, by having the mag well reinforcements come all the way down to the bottom of the mag well, not in a "race track" on the inward position of the mag well like they the later receivers. The later mag reinforcements are just like the 91 reinforcements and that is not how HK originally designed the 93. Check out the difference if you have never spent the time to do so. Look at a REAL HK 93 and then a REAL HK91. An easy way to tell the difference is that I believe most of the Special Weapons rifles were finished in a gloss black. The later type have a parkerized finish. I have had both, and have dealt with this "Mag Phenomenon". I have also owned and tried MKEs, ProMag, HK aluminum and HK steel in both. Here is what I observed.

In my "Special Weapons" rifle, it does exactly as stated. Aluminums fit fine, even with the bolt closed on an empty chamber. For SOME reason, the steels would NOT lock in, even if I retracted the bolt carrier and locked it open. They might APPEAR to lock in, but would jostle themselves loose after running a few rounds through the gun or just simply man handling the rifle with mag in place. The Pro Mags locked in no problems at all. The MKEs would NOT lock in either, without some judicious carving to raise the slot upward on the mag. This lead me to believe the mag catch itself needed to be trimmed down some on the top surface. After running a file across the top of my mag catch, it seemed to want to accept the HK steel mags a little better. The issue was that the mag catch has a VERY hard heat treating to it and the file runs right over it like a greased snake. I figured if I took too much off, easy enough to buy a new mag catch.

On my later receivered rifle, with the parkerizing, it liked both HK steel and aluminum and Pro Mag but still did not like the MKE without some filing on the MKE mag slot. I sold that rifle and ended up trading away all the MKE mags, since I really wanted all HK mags anyway.

I use Pro Mags at the range and test out the HK mags for function, but basically hold all the HK mags in reserve. There must be a very small difference in the receiver geometry between the earlier Special Weapons receivers and mag catch placement over the later models? But the difference is pretty slight and I think the best address is to file down the top edge of the mag catch, fitting as you go as to not remove too much material and end up with sloppy mag fit. But don't worry too much, mag catches are plentiful and cheap, relatively. Just make sure your file is sharp, otherwise it won't cut hardly at all. The heat treat on the original mag catches seems to be set at HARD!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old but searching for an answer to the same problem lead me here. I just purchased a new C93 and some new HK steel thirty rounders. Mags would not lock bolt open or closed. I took a white paint pen and outlined the catch cut on the mags. Inserted the mags into the well and looked through gap around the mag catch on the outside of the mag well. The white painted outline showed me the mags were not going in far enough. I used a file to remove some metal on the top of the mag catch cutout. A few minutes of work and all is well. Mags lock in and you can't pull or knock them out without engaging the release. Maybe this will help someone else. I'm sure filing the catch itself would work as well. Just have to decide which you rather do.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think this is a long running issue and I had wanted to mention that all the steel mags people have are more than likely HK produced.?? I am also thinking, from something I heard long ago, that all these Malaysian kits came with nothing but the 40 round aluminum mags. At first, I thought it was a tolerance difference between the HK (German) produced mags and the so called "Malaysian" mags in aluminum.

Then I picked up a 25 or 20 round aluminum HK mag. IT works fine in the C93, so hard to imagine that the Germans would end up with TWO different tolerances in mag slots on mags produced IN Germany? What gives? And of course, to help confound solving this, Century makes the C93 with two different receiver flats!

A bit frustrating, but as you point out, it can be overcome. I just hate to file away on mags that are well north of $75 a piece!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Yeah mag catch filing is better, You might have just married those mags to that gun for life.

I know this thread is a bit old but searching for an answer to the same problem lead me here. I just purchased a new C93 and some new HK steel thirty rounders. Mags would not lock bolt open or closed. I took a white paint pen and outlined the catch cut on the mags. Inserted the mags into the well and looked through gap around the mag catch on the outside of the mag well. The white painted outline showed me the mags were not going in far enough. I used a file to remove some metal on the top of the mag catch cutout. A few minutes of work and all is well. Mags lock in and you can't pull or knock them out without engaging the release. Maybe this will help someone else. I'm sure filing the catch itself would work as well. Just have to decide which you rather do.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have had this issue using SW receiver flats for HK33 builds.

The aluminum has a little give to it where the steel mags do not. That’s why you see it with steel mags.

The back of the mag comes into contact with the back of the mag well, right by where the paddle release would be. It makes it so the mag can’t rock in all the way to engage the mag catch fully. If you remove your mag catch and insert a steel mag you will see that it sits just a hair to low. To fix it just file the inside of the mag well a little bit.

I’m out of town for work but will be home tomorrow, I can post pictures.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts