HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished up installing a paddle magazine release on my C93 (HK93 clone). I didn't find a whole lot of info on the subject so I thought I'd share my experience. A lot of what I read made it out to be difficult, time consuming , and to quote one poster "best left to the professionals". I've been working with and fabricating metal for over 20 years so I figured I give it a go. I ordered the parts from HKparts.com and they ran $23 shipped for the paddle, semi bushing and pin.

First was to mark and center punch where the 1/8" hole would be drilled. This is .610" from the center of the mag catch hole straight down on center. I used dial calipers and scribe my marks then center punched. While I have a drill press I lacked the fixtures to clamp the rifle as to be straight and plum. So a clamped a 1/4" thick drill guide on the shelf with the 1/8" hole of the drill guide over my center punch mark, and drilled the hole with a cobalt bit and hand drill. Now, on the C93 the shelf is a solid piece of steel about .375" thick and .900" wide, but fairly soft. I decided to drill through the shelf first before cutting out the shelf for the paddle since there would be less chance for walking. I put a drill stop set to .820", which would leave .080" of steel left on the blind hole side and no worries of breaking through. The drill went smooth with plenty of fluid and the hole was straight and true with a few degrees.

Next is what would be considered the "hard part". On the C93 you have to remove a 5/8"x 5/8" (.625"x .625") section out of the 3/8" thick shelf. This square will go flush with the receiver on both sides and to the rear. I drilled four 1/4" holes just inside the 5/8" square I scribed. This removes a lot of the steel. Next I used an egg shaped carbide burr cutter in a dremel to cut out the square to within about .010" of final dimension . This went quit easy and quick. I used a small file to finish.

Now I could see the blind hole side and a used a 1/8" endmill in a handle to flat spot the bottom of the hole, a few twists with some pressure was all it took. This gave me about 1/16" or so for the pin to seat into.

So now I test fit the parts, everything went in and worked smoothly as it should. But now the unexpected part, because so much metal must be removed it leaves a large 1/4" gap to the rear of the paddle that allows the paddle to flop backwards quite a bit and leave gaps on the side of the paddle. This may be fine for some but would not do for me. I carefully measured and cut a square "U" shaped piece of 3/32" steel to weld into the 5/8" x5/8" opening, and filed smooth. I did it right so the paddle just rest on the back of the new cut out so no rattle with or without a magazine.

Now I need to cut the pin down. The ends are chamfered so after cutting to the length I needed I sanded the pin flat and square so I got it seat to full depth in the hole. I chamfer the outer hole to let the weld flow in around the pin . Filed smooth and hit it with some high temp paint I had used on the whole rifle. Done and done !

The whole project took about 2 hours with a lot of measuring and checking. Not near as bad as I had be told. I hope this will help someone out who is considering this task. And by the way, the paddle mag is 1000x better than that out of place button.

Here's the finished result.

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Feels great doesn't it? I've done a few and the job doesn't justify the price people get to do it.
The most recent I had to have done because of the parkerized finish otherwise I'd have installed it myself and refinished the rifle in Gunkote. Wanted to keep the park and I'm not set up to do that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Congrats on the job. An anti-rattle paddle would have prevented the need to add the filler strip.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Congrats on the job. An anti-rattle paddle would have prevented the need to add the filler strip.
I could be wrong, but isn't the curl of spring steel on the anti rattle release of the front and pushes against the magazine ? This would not prevent it from flopping backward with the magazine removed. Also the anti rattle, was $24 for a used one and $64 for a new one, compared to $9 for a new standard release. Either way, the open spaces around the release didn't set well in my head, I just had to close them up. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Feels great doesn't it? I've done a few and the job doesn't justify the price people get to do it.
The most recent I had to have done because of the parkerized finish otherwise I'd have installed it myself and refinished the rifle in Gunkote. Wanted to keep the park and I'm not set up to do that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I thought the same thing too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts