HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a rule of thumb on how many rounds need to be put through a hk clone to make sure the bolt gap is holding?I just got a case of 223 and i wanna put my preowned c93 to the test.

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
Not really... One manufacturer for Century turned down the barrels a bit to make them easier to assemble. That's the entire cause of this problem of bolt gaps "holding". We never had an issue with a bolt gap moving prior to Century's offerings.

You'd think they would get over it already and be sick and tired of all the phone calls and returned guns by now. Or they're going to keep shipping out the returned guns over and over again hoping to catch somebody that'll just shoot it a couple times and not notice the gap issues... until the guns out of warranty.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn man well I guess either way I'll find out if it moves.I did just install new rollers so i should expect it to settle alittle,or it shouldn't move at all?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank u bspring.I had put 250 through it when I bought the gun.the bolt gap held at .008" after the new +2 rollers from rtg(I had ordered +4 hk rollers and I was sent +2 us made rollers) its at .012" no rounds through yet though.The reasons I made the buy on this gun instead of a new one was 1 I read somewhere (don't think it was here so idk if its 100% true) that century "spec" called for a .008" bolt gap so this one being used was at .008 and 2 it had the cut out for the paddle mag release.If it doesn't hold it will go to gb.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If Century's spec is .008....that is nuts....so I doubt that is true. Anything below.010 for me has a red flag.

Welcome to the forum and to the HK madness btw. This is THE forum for info and insight into the HK world. Search C93 and read for a day.....it is a crap shoot.

I have one that I had the similar specs after shooting the first break in (got to around a .010) and needed +2's to get her to .014+. She has held so far but needs more rounds down range. I bought her test fired and gap checked (online) and that helped the sorting process...but in the end...the C93 is a crap shoot.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I can't say if it's true for all the C93, but my gap did change. I deal with mostly AK's, so when I drove out the barrel pin (way too easily I might add-AK's usually take a press) it was pretty clear that they drilled the pin hole from both sides and never reamed. I simply pressed the barrel to .017" gap with standard rollers (my barrel fit was tight in the trunion and required a press), re-drilled and reamed the hole oversized and straight and installed a oversized pin. Give or take 600 rounds later it's still holding at .017". Early model on SW receiver. Shoot it and check after each outing until you get the round count up (it only takes a few seconds to check bolt gap).
If you feel comfortable doing it, see if you can drive the pin out and take a look at the hole-it should be a clean concentric hole with no differentiation between barrel and trunion. If you see gaps, voids, or seperation between the barrel and trunion I'd correct it. I'm of the opinion that you should never see bolt gaps change or settle due to movement between the barrel and trunion due to poor pinning processes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'm gonna try pushing the pin out to see if it moves if it does I'll send her off to get some work done.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Not really... One manufacturer for Century turned down the barrels a bit to make them easier to assemble. That's the entire cause of this problem of bolt gaps "holding". We never had an issue with a bolt gap moving prior to Century's offerings.

You'd think they would get over it already and be sick and tired of all the phone calls and returned guns by now. Or they're going to keep shipping out the returned guns over and over again hoping to catch somebody that'll just shoot it a couple times and not notice the gap issues... until the guns out of warranty.
Guessing they are still manufacturing guns with that barrel

950 rds in my PTR 91 and nearly zero gap loss, still at '15

I am likely to buy the right C93 but I already have a new US made barrel and I know it's going to Ghillie at some point

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
I am likely to buy the right C93 but I already have a new US made barrel and I know it's going to Ghillie at some point
There you go... pick up the gun cheap, play with it, then send it off to get made into a quality piece again... all under the price of a new Vector and about half as much as a used HK-93.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
There you go... pick up the gun cheap, play with it, then send it off to get made into a quality piece again... all under the price of a new Vector and about half as much as a used HK-93.
Yep, I did the web footwork and then talked to Ghillie twice and he set me straight

·
Banned
58 Posts
The only problem i see in doing it this way is after you spend the extra money to make it run right and fix the bolt gap issue, you would still have a Century C93 and resell value would not be anywhere near what you would have in it. When i was looking at the 93 models, I went into a local gun store that had several and after looking them over, I decided to go with a Vector V93. My bolt gap new was .017 and after 300 rounds, it is still at .017

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
The only problem i see in doing it this way is after you spend the extra money to make it run right and fix the bolt gap issue, you would still have a Century C93 and resell value would not be anywhere near what you would have in it.
I disagree. Once they have been fixed, they are as good performance-wise as an HK-93. It'll get just as much as any clone out there. The only thing it wouldn't have in favor of it, is it isn't an HK. A clone is a clone. A gun redone by Ghillie is as good (performance -wise) as an original HK.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have 2 ptr gi's one started at .025 and stopped at .013 the other one started at .018 and stopped at .011

I have 3 c93 all stopped moving back after 300 rds

·
Banned
58 Posts
I disagree. Once they have been fixed, they are as good performance-wise as an HK-93. It'll get just as much as any clone out there. The only thing it wouldn't have in favor of it, is it isn't an HK. A clone is a clone. A gun redone by Ghillie is as good (performance -wise) as an original HK.
I would agree with you that a clone is a clone and a Century is still a Century

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
If I were shopping and saw Century on a gun I'd definately use it against the price regardless of what has been done to the gun. There's a stigma attached to the name that will always wreck their resale value no matter what has been redone, added, repaired or whatever else.

·
Banned
58 Posts
If I were shopping and saw Century on a gun I'd definately use it against the price regardless of what has been done to the gun. There's a stigma attached to the name that will always wreck their resale value no matter what has been redone, added, repaired or whatever else.
+1, yup.

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
From someone I didn't know or I gun that I never saw being shot? Maybe. If I saw the thing running with a sear and smoking the barrel consistently with a beautiful brass rainbow pouring out the side of the gun, I wouldn't care what the name on the gun was.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts