HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a curious question; since the California DOJ HK94's were imported post 1989, did the ATF ever put anything out in writing saying they were ok with being available for civilian sales?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
What's any different about these? They're just 94s right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, they were imported after the 1989 assault rifle import ban. They were imported for law enforcement use. After using them, the agency sold them as "surplus". I think the general consensus is that one a post 89 import goes through the hands of a LE agency, then they are free and clear for civilian ownership. But I was just wondering if the ATF ever put anything in writing say that was OK.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
I would assume that the difference between them and anything else you could buy that
was made after 86 was that they were built with 100% German parts?
You probably meant 89.

86 was the machine gun ban.

The trade-off potential on the DOJ guns is that they could have had significant wear due to a lot of shooting. But they are all over the place when it comes to this. Some are very worn and some were just carried around a lot in the trunk of a squad car so exterior wear is all the really have.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Are these DOJ 94's legal to import into Connecticut under the current AWB?
No... you have some seriously screwed up legislators in CT.

House Minority Leader Lawrence F. Cafero Jr., R-Norwalk, pictured standing, far right, speaks while colleagues Rep. Barbara Lambert, D-Milford and Rep. Jack F. Hennessy, D-Bridgeport, play solitaire Monday night as the House convened to vote on a new budget. (AP)

The guy sitting in the row in front of these two....he's on Facebook, and the guy behind Hennessy is checking out the baseball scores.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Of the supposed DOJ guns I've seen 2 were like new with almost no internal wear and one had maybe a couple thousand rounds down the pipe. All 3 looked like they had light range use and or rough arms room handling but that's about it. Most probably weren't babied like the majority of civvie 94's were but if you're doing a MP5 conversion or planning on a refinish anyway it really shouldn't matter too much. That's not to say some didn't get shot a lot but when you're looking at a service life in the 6 figures I don't know how much it would really matter.

Since they came onto the market they have generally brought lower prices than their civvie counterparts unless they were in the small number that were really LNIB then the price is on par. Visually the only differnaces I noticed were an MP5K style rear sight and electric pencil writing on a couple with a rack number. As AGG mentioned also I believe these had the 16 flute chambers as well.

As an aside, I think AGG has quite possibly won the award for the most annoying font in the history of the internet.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have one and it is a dream to shoot. Yes the pencil markings are a distraction, but I bought it to shoot so my safe queen 94 can rest. If you buy one you will not be able to tell one apart from a pre 89 other than the date code and the markings.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Hey... AGG thinks it's cool and that's what he likes, so...

I have to tell you, ALL the Kalif DOJ guns I ever saw looked like they were dragged on a chain behind a pickup for awhile. Seriously, how the hell do guns get that screwed up by just tossing them in the trunk? That said, I think my bud with the registered trigger boxes still has a handful of DOJ guns for sale, too.

·
Banned
34,594 Posts
Hey... AGG thinks it's cool and that's what he likes, so...

I have to tell you, ALL the Kalif DOJ guns I ever saw looked like they were dragged on a chain behind a pickup for awhile. Seriously, how the hell do guns get that screwed up by just tossing them in the trunk? That said, I think my bud with the registered trigger boxes still has a handful of DOJ guns for sale, too.
Thanks, brother!!! :wink:
Not really for the cool effect--- just for emphasis. :biggrin:

Tony

·
Registered
264 Posts
Point taken guys...

I work in the armpit of the world for some .gov types who get paid more than me to sit in meetings. You wouldn’t believe how bad most of our guns look after just 5-6 years of use. They don't get shot too often any more but just the amount of finish wear is amazing. Ever seen a Glock with 1/8" of material WORN away from holster wear? How about an M4 receiver with a 1/4" gash worn in it from a SLING? Carry wear doesn't surprise me too often any more but sometimes....

·
Registered
685 Posts
My DOJ gun was 99% when I got it for $2400 from Gordon a while back. I think he might have had them refinished, although at that price I'm really not sure.
No etchings, not bumps or bruises at all, the only way you could tell it was DOJ was the rear sight.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Just a curious question; since the California DOJ HK94's were imported post 1989, did the ATF ever put anything out in writing saying they were ok with being available for civilian sales?
There was certainly some type of written approval given by the BATF given to the company (maybe HK?) that released them. I've seen our heard of nothing given to the public, though.

·
Banned
34,594 Posts
There was certainly some type of written approval given by the BATF given to the company (maybe HK?) that released them. I've seen our heard of nothing given to the public, though.
You are correct--- as I stated earlier, HK (Sterling, VA.) was allowed to retain 200-300 (in addition to those transferred to the CA DOC) for civilian resale!!! :wink:
Good luck acquiring the paperwork from HK--- may be easier to obtain from BATFE. :biggrin:

Tony

1 - 20 of 67 Posts