HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who were around back when I first got the thing, you'd remember that it was ripping the brass in half when it tried to extract them. I'd end up with an ejected case that looked like a 9mm. But the front part was stuck in the chamber. When I shot steel case ammo, the spent case would just get stuck in the chamber and not extract. Sent it back to the mother ship and they fixed it.

Or so I thought.

We were out shooting last weekend and I had been shooting Wolf ammo in it exclusively. It was working perfectly. Then my dealer took it and loaded a mag with Federal brass case stuff. It returned to its old ways. It ripped the brass apart and then ejected the rear section. Then it drove the next round into the chamber and embedded it inside the remaining part of the last case front end.

Put Wolf back in it and it ran fine. Tried Federal again and repeated the problem like clockwork. So do I now have a 53 clone that is chambered for Wolf? I guess I'll put in my safe, right next to the PTR-91 that is chambered for American Eagle.

·
Premium Member
2,688 Posts
Sounds like a headspace problem my friend. As in excessive. Maybe the chamber in that barrel is to long.
I have a .223 AK that does exactly what you describe and was told it was a head space problem. Thing is with my gun it only does it with norinco .223. Everything else I've tried including my reloads it runs fine.

·
Registered
177 Posts
retrodog,

It could be a head space issue but it also sounds like one of the problems we ran into with our first few experimental prototype MM23E test barrels.

In our case it all had to do with the chambers being a little bit too tight, and the flute length, depth, and width weren't quite right either.

This is one of those situations where one or two thousandths of inch is critical to positive extraction especially with brass cased ammo.

Of course steel cased Wolf didn't expand like brass cased ammo did so the barrels worked fine with Wolf, but if the chambers were a little on the tight side then the brass cases would expand and get hung up in the flutes, and then the hardened extractors would rip the cases in half during the rearward movement of the carrier.

Gerard
[email protected]
Michael's Machines
Pictures by Michaels_Machines - Photobucket
HKPARTS.net: Michael Machines

MM23E BARREL CUTAWAY: http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n506/Michaels_Machines/MM21EwithrailandAimpoint076.jpg

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
retrodog,

It could be a head space issue but it also sounds like one of the problems we ran into with our first few experimental prototype MM23E test barrels.

In our case it all had to do with the chambers being a little bit too tight, and the flute length, depth, and width weren't quite right either.

This is one of those situations where one or two thousandths of inch is critical to positive extraction especially with brass cased ammo.

Of course steel cased Wolf didn't expand like brass cased ammo did so the barrels worked fine with Wolf, but if the chambers were a little on the tight side then the brass cases would expand and get hung up in the flutes, and then the hardened extractors would rip the cases in half during the rearward movement of the carrier.

Gerard
[email protected]
Michael's Machines
Pictures by Michaels_Machines - Photobucket
HKPARTS.net: Michael Machines

MM23E BARREL CUTAWAY: http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n506/Michaels_Machines/MM21EwithrailandAimpoint076.jpg
That sounds very probable. I'm pretty sure that's what was wrong with it the first time. And probably now as well.

Not sure if I want to get it fixed or just stick with it being a Wolf shooting gun. The ammo is the cheapest stuff I can get and runs very well. The gun shoots in FA very smooth as well.

·
Registered
10,275 Posts
Meh... just shoot steel. If the steel stuff runs out, then worry about it.

Cheap guy sez: Did you know you can reload most of the Russian steel stuff several times? They be boxer primed and soft enough that it doesn't split in the resizing dies.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
shattered,
it figures you would be the one to re-load russian steel case 556!
Dawg,
probably flutes issues. I would just shoot steel case & not even bother with the brass. I have over 2k rounds of brass run through 20 or so of the ca53ar's without a hitch.
Dj

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Retro,
I would get it fixed. What happens if the zombies come and all the steel cased .223 is used up by someone like me? LOL...
Then I use my V53 of course. :wink:

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Retro, clean the chamber, then try the brass. It has been my experience that you can start out with brass and switch to steel cased, but once you put steel cased ammo in the gun, the chamber must be cleaned to go back to brass. I've done this several times in the AR platform. Once I've shot steel cased, if I try to shoot brass, the brass shells stick in the chamber. Maybe the polymer residue is sticky to the brass. I don't know. I usually bring a chamber brush on a piece of cleaning rod and stick it in cordless drill, at least for an AR. I don't know how well that will work in a fluted chamber.

Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts