HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well it looks like Coharie is going to make a .22 caliber MP5. I'm waiting to hear something back from them on being able to put a deposit down. So far the specs are:

FA bolt assy
MP5 parts compatible (stocks and lower)
10/22 mags (not sure if this is going to play out)
Pistol and rifle configurations (Fixed 16" barrel on the rifle so go w/ pistol for SBR, I guess)
Price around $600-$700 (upper price range for paddle mag rel. on pistol & 3-lug barrel)

I'm going with a pistol version as I have a sear pack on order and this would let me mod it during use while the pack's installed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
sweeeeet !

·
Registered
243 Posts
Why....

at $600 - $700, "$200" more that the GM project,with the Cohaire name, why would you pay more.

What about the Cohaire makes it worth $200 more....I am not tracking

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
at $600 - $700, "$200" more that the GM project,with the Cohaire name, why would you pay more.

What about the Cohaire makes it worth $200 more....I am not tracking
If your reference to the "GM project" is the German made thing that is stuck in customs, then there is no comparison. The German gun is a .22 rifle that is made to look like an MP5, but with no parts compatibility or FA option, and only use proprietary magazines (price and availability unknown). The Coharie version will support the things listed in my original OP:

Well it looks like Coharie is going to make a .22 caliber MP5. I'm waiting to hear something back from them on being able to put a deposit down. So far the specs are:

FA bolt assy
MP5 parts compatible (stocks and lower)
10/22 mags
(not sure if this is going to play out)
Pistol and rifle configurations (Fixed 16" barrel on the rifle so go w/ pistol for SBR, I guess)
Price around $600-$700 (upper price range for paddle mag rel. on pistol & 3-lug barrel)

I'm going with a pistol version as I have a sear pack on order and this would let me mod it during use while the pack's installed.

So for around $700, you'll have a .22 caliber MP5. A bit more when you add the stock, and $200 more if you want to SBR it. I plan on getting the pistol version and just using a stock (folding B&T) that I already have when I put my sear pack in it.

The German rifle just looks like something that will be less versatile than a regular sub$200 10/22, with the only thing going for it is that it looks like an MP5 or HK94. To me it's a no-brainer. I'd gladly pay $200-$300 more for a functional MP5/.22.

The downside is that we'll have to wait for Coharie to build the thing, and they are busy as hell right now.

And don't get me wrong, I really think the German gun looks sweeeet. But I'm not spending that kind of money on something that is less useful than a 10/22 just because it looks cool. Well not right now anyway. ;)

·
Registered
390 Posts
If history is correct , then the German gun will probably be higher quality than the Cohair but it is allways nice to have some guienne pigs to get the bugs worked out.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If history repeats itself, then the German gun will probably be higher quality than the Coharie but it is allways nice to have some guienne pigs to get the bugs worked out.
FYP, and do you think this company is a division of H&K, or do you just think any German company is gonna make the higher quality product?

I wouldn't really say either way, but the feature list seems to make the American one a lot more functional, leaving the German one to look like a really cool looking (even if high quality) toy.

Both of these are probably going to be standard blowback, or however a regular .22 rifle does it. The big difference is going to be how they design that and whether the actions will be able to handle a lot of dirt buildup from standard .22 ammo, as that's what sort of crippled the .22 conversion kit for the MP5 that H&K originally built. The wrong type of ammo plays hell on my Buckmarks but quality stuff works great. I wish it was a cleaner system and not affected so much by ammo type.

While I think that a lot of the quality issues have been worked out with Coharie, I'd be more concerned about their recent track record of estimated time-frames. Some of those have proven to be slightly optimistic. So I'd be more concerned about the timeliness of it, and not so much about the quality. But hey, with the exception of the possible upcoming AWB, I'm not really in much of a hurry and feel pretty confident that they could get the thing out this year. And since the action is different (form an MP5) and it's only a .22... maybe it won't even get banned. Especially the pistol version that I ordered. But there's always that darn 50 ounce weight limit thing. Dammit. ;)

;)

·
Registered
611 Posts
Retro,

I bit my tongue when I saw you post this information. I have some advice. Don't post about cohaire projects, there are too many nay sayeers on this board that complain about anything related to TB. They are only making 250 of these CA94/22 and I would much rather make sure I get the two I have on order.

You don't need to advetise on these boards for these products. I would rather keep all of them in the dark and then get my two I ordered and enjoying going to the range with my sear and having a blast with a full auto MP5 in .22LR and let all the others on here buy their airsoft clone and have a semi-auto .22LR MP5 that does take HK parts.

Retro, keep the genie in the box.......and let keep it on the other board....okay? deal? thank you!

·
Registered
390 Posts
FYP, and do you think this company is a division of H&K, or do you just think any German company is gonna make the higher quality product?

I wouldn't really say either way, but the feature list seems to make the American one a lot more functional, leaving the German one to look like a really cool looking (even if high quality) toy.

Both of these are probably going to be standard blowback, or however a regular .22 rifle does it. The big difference is going to be how they design that and whether the actions will be able to handle a lot of dirt buildup from standard .22 ammo, as that's what sort of crippled the .22 conversion kit for the MP5 that H&K originally built. The wrong type of ammo plays hell on my Buckmarks but quality stuff works great. I wish it was a cleaner system and not affected so much by ammo type.

While I think that a lot of the quality issues have been worked out with Coharie, I'd be more concerned about their recent track record of estimated time-frames. Some of those have proven to be slightly optimistic. So I'd be more concerned about the timeliness of it, and not so much about the quality. But hey, with the exception of the possible upcoming AWB, I'm not really in much of a hurry and feel pretty confident that they could get the thing out this year. And since the action is different (form an MP5) and it's only a .22... maybe it won't even get banned. Especially the pistol version that I ordered. But there's always that darn 50 ounce weight limit thing. Dammit. ;)

;)
Most (not all) of the firearms that come from Germany seem to be made to a higher quality standard than ones made in the USA. I do agree that the Cohair 22 which is suppose to take a sear pack does sound much better than a blowback German 22 but the odds that a actual roller lock Cohair 22 running 100% in full auto & semiauto without changing parts or messing around with it are very slim when & if they come out. I am not one of those people who buy something before it is tested but for the ones who do there is nothing wrong with that because you guys can work out the bugs which if history repets itself there allways have been.

·
Registered
651 Posts

It's a 22lr, they both are nothing more than toys.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Coharie.... hmmm they don't answer my call, never return my call, don't even reply on E-mail and their fax# is now disconnected... nice doing business with you.:330:

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Coharie.... hmmm they don't answer my call, never return my call, don't even reply on E-mail and their fax# is now disconnected... nice doing business with you.:330:
Well seems they've successfully cloned all aspects of H&K.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most (not all) of the firearms that come from Germany seem to be made to a higher quality standard than ones made in the USA. I do agree that the Cohair 22 which is suppose to take a sear pack does sound much better than a blowback German 22 but the odds that a actual roller lock Cohair 22 running 100% in full auto & semiauto without changing parts or messing around with it are very slim when & if they come out. I am not one of those people who buy something before it is tested but for the ones who do there is nothing wrong with that because you guys can work out the bugs which if history repets itself there allways have been.
I think they are both standard blowback.

I have a friend (my Class III FFL and manufacturer guy) who has a 10/22 that shoots full auto. We've shot it quite a bit with no problems. So it can indeed be done.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I am not saying it can not be done & you can not compare a Ruger to Cohair. If we can put a man on the moon then a reliable .22 F/A HK clone host can also be done but as long as it is made by the current HK clone manufactures I will belive it when I see it. I really hope some US manufactuer would come out with a quality HK clone but after all of the junk that has hit the market I have no interest in clones untill they are fully tested by regular people & even then it is hit or miss.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am not saying it can not be done & you can not compare a Ruger to Cohair. If we can put a man on the moon then a reliable .22 F/A HK clone host can also be done but as long as it is made by the current HK clone manufactures I will belive it when I see it. I really hope some US manufactuer would come out with a quality HK clone but after all of the junk that has hit the market I have no interest in clones untill they are fully tested by regular people & even then it is hit or miss.
Wow, that's seems like a very negative outlook on the current industry. I think you've fallen pray to a lot of the over-propogated rhetoric that's been floating around for years. The current production models have been getting mostly favorable reviews.

But I agree with your remark about "I'll believe it when I see it", as this is definitely a new design. The only problem is that we may be between a rock and a hard place, in that the approaching election and feared resulting AWB speeds things up a bit.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
in that the approaching election and feared resulting AWB speeds things up a bit.
I remember last AWB ban... my local dealer was selling used Glock 19 15rds
mag for $80. I can't let that happen again... :510:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Wow, that's seems like a very negative outlook on the current industry. I think you've fallen pray to a lot of the over-propogated rhetoric that's been floating around for years. The current production models have been getting mostly favorable reviews.

But I agree with your remark about "I'll believe it when I see it", as this is definitely a new design. The only problem is that we may be between a rock and a hard place, in that the approaching election and feared resulting AWB speeds things up a bit.

I guess the reason I am so negative is because every one of the 5 Vector & Bobcat clones I had all needed work to run correcty. Even 4 of my custom built clones from a few of the so called top HK smiths had to go back for repairs so it is not just the clone companies.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess the reason I am so negative is because every one of the 5 Vector & Bobcat clones I had all needed work to run correcty. Even 4 of my custom built clones from a few of the so called top HK smiths had to go back for repairs so it is not just the clone companies.
Good info. You have now been removed from my list of "people who I'd let buy me a gun".

j/k. Sorry to hear it. Oh well, the word is out, and that's all I was really trying to do.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts