HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
mix up

My self No, But I have had several students do it, I heard a muffled pop and when inspecting their firearms noticed this ( 9 in a 40)
these people where lucky, the 9mm did exit the barrel and the 9mm brass expanded into a 40.
thankfully nobody was hurt.
by the way, the weapons were ( afraid to say this) Glo*ks....:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've seen it happen too, in a Glock of a fellow student. We were both on the line shooting and his gun made an unusual sound. Everything checked out and the target (point shooting, <10' away) had a hole in it so we kept on going. Later when picking up brass we found the 9mm expanded to a .40 and figured it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One of my old partner's that was shot with one. He had just come out of the 7/11 and walked into a drug fight in the parking lot (they didn't notice the marked crown vic). Suspect saw him coming out the door and immediately opened fire with a Glock .40 with 9mm ammo. It jammed on the second shot. The round still had enough energy to penetrate my partner's upper thigh. He was able to return fire with a .40 hitting the suspect 5 times including twice in the head. The suspect lived.

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the same happened to my USP40 this weekend. Not me though, but a friend of mine also by accident loaded a 9mm round (I had my Glock17 at the range as well) in the USP40 mag.

This was the first round to be fired. I was standing right next to him, watching, and when he pulled the trigger, I first thought it was a squib. The gun didn't even attempt to cycle whatsoever. We went to the safety box, dissasembled the gun, but no bullet in the barrel!?!

We went back to the firing line and discovered the 9mm brass that has expanded to 10mm from the front to about half way down the case. Initially, I was worried about damage to the gun, but after a thorough cleaning and inspection, I can't see any trace of damage.

The pressure of the round obviously dropped to nothing as soon as the case starts to deform since there is no seal between bullet and barrel. My biggest worry was that the rim of the chamber might get burnt badly, but no, the USP seems pretty much indestructable.

Either way, this is not to be tried again...ever.

·
Registered
569 Posts
This is the reason I'm very reticent to allow other people to use my firearms.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Nope, never. When I go shooting I keep the 9mm handguns in one shooting lane and the .40 caliber handguns in another. For others in my party, I decided confusion may arise from the Glocks, being that there is a G19 and G23 and the mags are virtually identical at first glance. However I made it a point to show those with me where the Glock mags calibers were marked so there was no mistakes/excuses. Theres no doubt in my mind that the guns can handle a mishap like this, but theres also no doubt that a mixed up caliber to gun match is fairly dangerous as well.

·
Registered
886 Posts
One of my old partner's that was shot with one. He had just come out of the 7/11 and walked into a drug fight in the parking lot (they didn't notice the marked crown vic). Suspect saw him coming out the door and immediately opened fire with a Glock .40 with 9mm ammo. It jammed on the second shot. The round still had enough energy to penetrate my partner's upper thigh. He was able to return fire with a .40 hitting the suspect 5 times including twice in the head. The suspect lived.
Good thing your partner wasn't critically injured, but so much for the miracle .40. The BG must have had one thick head.

G

·
Mix-ups

Long about 1976 or so, I fired 5 .41mags in a ..44 Spl. Bulldog. Only thing
damaged, other than my pride, was the brass. It was expanded so much it
had to be discarded.

The little Charter Arms Bulldog was a darn good handgun.

A couple of years ago I met a guy at a shooting range at Ft. Bliss, TX.
I knew I had seen him somewhere before, but I couldn't place him. We got to
talking and he asked me about the time I fired the .41's in my .44 Bulldog!

I had hoped that no one would remember it, but I guess it made an
impression on him. He remembered it more than thirty years later!

Talk about doing something that comes back to haunt you later! :eek:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had a buddy load a .45 ACP round in a 10mm mag once. He tried to rib me about my Glocks being unreliable when it jammed trying to chamber the round. When I noticed what had happened, let's just say that he took a bit more ribbing than he gave!

We were lucky that the mistake hadn't been the other way around and now I am religious about only having one caliber out on the table at a time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts