HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
California Legal mp5 Clone Genuine Parts Help needed

Hello from Freedomless Southern California,

Please bear with me as I'm new to the intricate world of mp5 internals.

I'll be receiving a Coharie mp5 clone shortly, and would like to make it an ongoing project of mine to grandually upgrade every part I can LEGALLY obtain to bring it as close to a true mp5 as I can (again..legally).

while running through a few things I came across this trigger unit and was particularly fond of it due to it's authentic aesthetics to the true mp5. I was wondering if semi-auto internals/sear/trigger group would work with this and just render anything above single shot useless (basically just paint on the trigger housing).
http://www.hkparts.net/Pictures/MP5 9mm/4 position MP5 Trigger Group Complete.jpg

I'm also looking to learn about any other parts I should stay away from in order to keep things on the up and up. The magazine will be fixed via the use of a bullet button and the gun as a whole will maintain it's California Legal status.

Aside from the receiver, the FIXED 10 round mag limit, the 16 inch min. Barrel length, is/are there any other parts that I won't be able to obtain as long as I live in California?

MAny thanks for the help :).

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I haven't received it yet...but there are a few people that are making prototypes for mp5/clone Bullet Buttons.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I admire you for building an kali legal MP5. But still I shed a tear. :(

·
Registered
376 Posts
Welcome neighbor! With a CA94/ MP5 clone the first thing I would change is the complete trigger assembly and then the Bolt carrier/bolt head assembly.

The clone uses 223/308 hammer spring for the trigger assembly instead of a 9mm hammer spring and the internal trigger box frame for some is made of cheap plastic.

The bolt head extractor spring and extractor can give some problems later so replace it.

The internal cocking tube support is plastic and will flex when chambering a round. Mine would stick on occasion. The German HK cocking tube support will not fit the CA94/ MP5 clone.

In my opinion my CA94 were out of specs. You can always ship it out to IGF to have it reworked to German HK specs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm curious as to how you'll get this done - are you going to acquire a barreled receiver, install the button release, and then assemble the rifle?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too am depressed that I live in Kali with the legal restrictions on gun laws. What are you going to to about the pistol grip that makes up the MP5? As far as I know "Assult weapons" in Kali are described as having a pistol grip. What are you going to do about this?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I too am depressed that I live in Kali with the legal restrictions on gun laws. What are you going to to about the pistol grip that makes up the MP5? As far as I know "Assult weapons" in Kali are described as having a pistol grip. What are you going to do about this?
Get a fix mag kit or make some type of monster man grip and your good to go. Go read up on Calguns.net.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
Buyer beware!

A user with the name hkfan7 has now twice posted "I have xxx kit, for $1,000, please contact me at [email protected]". I deleted both of his posts, then noticed he used different email addresses for each post.

Using multiple email addresses doesn't instill a sense of seller honesty to me, so caveat emptor.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
You've got a company that makes the equivalent of a webbing that goes between the rear stock and a decreased-angle pistol grip. It doesn't allow you to wrap your thumb around the pistol grip but some of your brothers report it works just fine after they get used to it.

Example:

ETA: Monsterman grips is one of them. http://www.monstermangrip.com/

·
Registered
306 Posts
Fixed 10rd mag with a Raddlock magazine release.
It makes magazine changes take 5~7 seconds, instead of 3. ;)

·
Registered
316 Posts
[QUOTE=theE

Aside from the receiver, the FIXED 10 round mag limit, the 16 inch min. Barrel length, is/are there any other parts that I won't be able to obtain as long as I live in California?

You need to have a bullet button affixed to make the mag "not readily detachable". (On my Vector .40 cal it was a paddle mag release which I just sheered off)

For what it's worth, if you spend several thousand dollars basically replacing everything but the receiver, you will still have a gun worth less than the sum of its parts. It will never be a "real" HK, and I doubt anyone will ever want to pay the HK price you would need to sell it for to break even for your non-HK gun.

But, if you want it to run 100%, you have to do it. I am replacing Vector parts as they fail on mine. (still never runs 100%) (and it may nver considering the vagueries of the receiver construction. the tolerances just aren't there.

·
Registered
316 Posts
A bullet button makes the mag "non-detachable" for the purposes of AW laws.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have blocks that you can use to make 30rd curved mags into 10rd mags.

They are $15 each also have mag kits that these can be used in for $65. All you need to do is assemble the mag with the block inside and then JB weld the base plate to the mag body to conform to CA law, and you have a real looking 10/30 mag.

Also I have Radd lock Bullet buttons in stock for $30.

These reflect cash prices please add 3.5% for cc. Shipping extra

·
Registered
163 Posts
I helped a friend of mine retrofit a H&K cocking tube support into a Choarie CA94 fairly recently- all we had to do was file the rear of the support to fit- it's a little tight going into the tube- I thing the coharie tube is just a touch tighter than spec.

It locks forward very tightly too- but that's a good thing if you ever want to shoot +P+ rounds out if it with MP5F internals.

I did a kydex wedge on his to make it CA legal- fully reversible, but you sacrifice a lower in the process (I riveted the wedge to the pistol grip making it permanent).. It looks a bit like the monsterman AK above, but with a bigger wedge and a steeper grip able (more vertical).

The only real HK you can own in CA now is an SP89- hope you have deep pockets!

-Dave

·
Registered
310 Posts
What about 18 USC s. 922(r)

One question I have is whether your project would be subject to the "10 parts rule" that goes along with the import restriction at 18 USC s. 922(r).

In a nutshell, the 1968 Gun Control Act prohibits the importation of firearms that are not deemed (by ATF) to be especially suitable for sporting purposes, and it also (s. 922(r)) prohbits the assembly of rifles and shotguns that could not be imported as non-sporting from assembled parts. Generally stated, if you try to assemble an "assault weapon" type rifle using imported parts, you have to substitute out a certain number of US made parts so that the rifle is not considered to be assembled from imported parts any more.

My thought is that without a "detachable magazine" you may be outside ATF's sporting purposes criterion. There are basically 2 sets of criterion that ATF is presently using -- one is based on the presence of "evil" features like pistol grips; the other is based on the use of "large capacity military magazines" (a term that ATF has inconsistently defined and applied, but that appears to mean "magazine that holds more than 10 rounds or is staggered") in conjunction with certain cartridges. I wonder whether the first criterion applies if there is no detachable magazine at all. If it doesn't, then a "silver lining" to the Kommiefornia Kloud is that you might be able to satisfy your purist dreams and use 100% HK parts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts