HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm almost complete with my SL8/G36 conversion. It's a regular length conversion, not a "K" or "C" and I'm considering camo-ing it. I have a friend who fab military vehicles so he can spray it with desert tan for the base and then I'll finish it off to match 2-color desert pattern.

I know it's ultimately my preference, but I'm just curious on what people think... would it decrease its value (should I decide to sell it down the road)?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I think painting it ususally decreases the value, because when you Camo it, you make it to look how you want.

I think most camo'ed guns look very good, as long as its done right. I think the SL8/G36 is a great weapon, because "baked on" paints usually adhere very well to plastics.

If you want to Camo it, then i'd say go for it. If it makes you happy, then id say its worth the loss of a hundred bucks or so (im no judge on how much it decreases the value). If your lucky, you may even have someone want the camo, and pay more for it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree. Any change from factory specs will generally cause a decrease in the resale value, IMO. But, if you get it the way YOU like it, then its value to you increases.

You should do what's going to make you happy.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys... I'm still undecided but I think I'm leaning towards doing it ans my intial intent is to keep the thing. I'm waiting on the paperwork from the ATF hence I plan on doing Tbostic's Gen-3 after the 1st of the year. I'll post some pics with the new "paint job" if I go that route.

Thanks again for the input!

·
Registered
227 Posts
As stated it is up to you. Do what makes you happy,but do not forget that if you go to sell it,you need to find the person that wants that particular model AND likes what was done to it. A custom gun really narrows the marketability of that piece. if you are sure you are going to keep it for a while and you like it. GO for it!:D

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Sell Guns?

What do you mean sell guns? You can sell guns? I've only bought them, I only want to buy more. Selling guns is a little offensive to me. Why would someone do that? ;)

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you mean sell guns? You can sell guns? I've only bought them, I only want to buy more. Selling guns is a little offensive to me. Why would someone do that? ;)
To make profit to buy MORE guns!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Brownells.com has lots of cool epoxy arosols. Just paint them indoors where its around 70'f. You are supposed to bake them in the oven but a hair dryer or heatgun shouldn't melt the polymer stock.

Dark Earth is what all the "cool" guys are getting. Do you get all the Magizenes?

Spend the extra time to mask.

Dont put springs in the oven. Complete disassembly.

Check out a few of the many websites of guys like Robar that do a nice job before you paint.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the website link... the work looks great. I actually have a friend who going to spray the thing with WD CARC (same paint used by the military) for the base and then I'll probably do the pattern myself (with an areosol or air brush). I've been painting models since I was a kid so it shouldn't be a big deal... just a matter of getting the right paint. I'm not sure I want to invest the money on a professional job since my thoughts are for a simple 2-color desert pattern... wanting to make the thing look like "battelfield" gun, not a "catalog" gun.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Thanks for the website link... the work looks great. I actually have a friend who going to spray the thing with WD CARC (same paint used by the military) for the base and then I'll probably do the pattern myself (with an areosol or air brush). I've been painting models since I was a kid so it shouldn't be a big deal... just a matter of getting the right paint. I'm not sure I want to invest the money on a professional job since my thoughts are for a simple 2-color desert pattern... wanting to make the thing look like "battelfield" gun, not a "catalog" gun.
Since you already have some experiance, i'd say thats good. Just make sure you use a good template, or go slow and smooth if your freehanding!

·
Registered
279 Posts
duracoat any1 ???

sorry it took so long from the time red this till now ... but ive been looking at duracoat products ( actually thinking about buying the spray kit and custom finishing firearms in ireland ) and i have to say they do look really really cool !!

i dont know about durability against other coatings, Robar etc... but ill never know as ill never be able to send a firearm over to the U.S for a refinish so this really is my only option .... i do get kinda tingly inside thinkin about it .... the thought of further bettering myself... especally in something i love !

is that weird ???

opinions ppl haha !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts