HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ran this ammo on MP5's K or any other Sub or handguns is it really that hot that an MP5 can't take ....... :410:

Thanks for any Info/experiences!!!!

:20000000:

·
Registered
26 Posts
shooting L7A1 in a Sear MP5

This is the only ammo that will not function in my sear 94/MP5. I don't have
any F or action 3 upgrades. I will not use it again...

·
Registered
554 Posts
I think if you do a search you will find the story that it was made for the open bolt Sterling for use in Arctic conditions only so yes it would be too hot for most anything else. I don't know how true the story is but I'm not going to risk it in a handgun or HK subgun. Most places sell it for less than what normal ammo would go for and there must be a reason for that. I believe that this is the ammo BATF issued a warning for when imported because it was way over pressure. I would shoot it out of an UZI or MAC because parts are relatively cheap and they have heavy open bolts. Some have said they won't shoot it out of those either.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats the Info I was looking for, I tried to do a search but got no hits so thank you both Gents I appreacite the info ....

:80:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Tried some in a clone once only to have the casing swell in the chamber. If I can find the casing again I will post a picture.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
One of the guys had a 9mm Aug that failed hard using this ammo.

Myself would not even use in a Sterling that was transferable due to several reasons (construction of some tube guns and cost of a tube now days ...).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use (and like it) for my Sterling and Uzi, but I'd never shoot it in any locked (or delayed opening) breech firearms. Here is an old BATF (pre BATFE) quote that I've had as a cell "note" in my MS Excel Ammo inventory spreadsheet. I don't remember where I got it, but I take is seriously:

QUOTE:

Department of the Treasury
ATF Office of Public Information

For Immediate Release FY-97-6

HAZARDOUS AMMUNITION

Washington--The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) has been advised by Hirtenberger AG, Hirtenberg, Austria, that certain 9Xl9 mm caliber ammunition produced by Hirtenberger is unsafe for use in any handgun.

The ammunition, designated L7A1 and produced ln the years 1990 through 1992, was produced for the British Ministry of Defense specifically for use in submachine guns under adverse conditions. The ammunition was loaded to produce pressures far in excess of that intended for use in handguns.

The manufacturer advises that up to 12 million rounds of this ammunition has recently been sold on the world surplus market. The ammunition can be identified by the following head stamp located on the bottom of the cartridge case:

12 O'clock position: HP
3 O'clock position: 90, 91, or 92
6 O'clock position: L7Al
9 O'clock position: the marking of a cross within a circle

This ammunition should not be fired.

We are not aware of any of this ammunition being imported into the United States. ATF will take action to prevent the commercial importation of this
ammunition.

For additional information, contact, Mary Jo Hughes, Chief, Firearms and
Explosives Imports, (202) 927-8320.

END QUOTE

I hope that's helpful. Obviously some of the Hirtenberger is in the USA and enjoys some popularity. The ammoI have is 1991 production. I actually paid a bit of a premium for it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Damn...

I guess I will be the odd man out... I ran 400 rds thru my mp5F last week...

I did not run any thru my K gun though ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts