HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In talking with a gunsmith who was unfamiliar with the mr556 I was inquiring about having an mr556 barrel cut down and reprofiled. His response to me was, why don't I buy a new barrel that is more what I want and use that?

barring the obvious differences like the "Features" of the 556's barrel, can it be done?

Is the barrel so proprietary that it can't be replaced?

·
Registered
590 Posts
That HK cold hammer forged barrel is legendary. I would cut, rethread and reprofile your exisiting barrel instead of replacing it. Also I would use a HK specialized gunsmith who is very familiar with MR556 barrel alterations, like Jayson at IGF and others...

If you do replace your MR556 barrel, I would like to have the first chance to buy it from you if your interested.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Is the barrel so proprietary that it can't be replaced?
Your gunsmith probably has more experience with regular "any AR-15", where throwing in new barrel actually increases it's value and performance, not decreases it.

It can be replaced. You need really "blank" barrel blank, that is mated with barrel extension from your MR556 (or new HK barrel extension), then have gas port drilled in proper place and HK gas block fitted.

But one of key points to have real HK rifle is to have it with German made original HK barrel. Luckily this barrel takes cutting and re-profiling very well.

·
Banned
879 Posts
Sure, you could have a new barrel made, most likely as others have said by using the original barrel extension...... Or, you could contact a reputable barrel maker and have a standard AR barrel manufactured to proper specifications insofar as gas block location, gas port location and size, etc. and then have your upper receiver extension turned back to standard AR 15 length and re-notched for the barrel alignment pin and then be able to use semi-custom AR barrels from then on (not that you'll be burning barrels out all that often.

Frankly, stick with the original, have it re-profiled if you like, nitrided if you want corrosion resistance, natural lubricity, longer barrel life and ease of cleaning better then chrome, and not worry about it. The original barrel is a proprietary steel alloy that's cold hammer forged and will provide a better barrel then virtually any barrel on the American market with a few exceptions (notibly being Noveske or perhaps Centurion, both of whome use FN CHF barrels from the M249 production line and also have double thickness chrome lining. Good luck getting a barrel like that profiled to the specs needed to fit an MR556).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would prefer to have an inexpensive replacement 10.5 chrome-lined barrel for my MR556 to set up with a DIAS and keep the factory barrel intact. However, I have been following Grumpy's posts with interest and may go that way instead. Thank you, Grumpy, for taking the time to write about your progress.

I have other on going projects, so it will be quite some time before I pull the trigger on this one. I imagine it is just a matter of time before someone begins producing them.

·
Banned
879 Posts
Glad to help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts