HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the USPc realey be carried "cocked and locked"?
IIRC the manual states that is an option with the variant 1. It seems a little unsafe to me.
Does anyone carry there USPc in that manner? What are your opinions please.
Thanks
Gary

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
USP Variant 1 are great for carrying in Condition 1. Colt 1911 has been carried on Condition 1, its the preferred way on that platform.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Kost,
I kinda felt without a grip safety that it was a little dangerous.
Am I being overly cautious?
Thanks for the reply
Gary

·
Registered
141 Posts
Can the USPc realey be carried "cocked and locked"?
IIRC the manual states that is an option with the variant 1. It seems a little unsafe to me.
Does anyone carry there USPc in that manner? What are your opinions please.
Thanks
Gary
I carried a fullsize cocked and locked for a long time. The answer is that it depends on the holster. Carrying C&L loose in a fanny pack or purse is not a good idea. On the holster I had, the thumbstrap went between the slide and hammer, the gun could only be carried C&L with that holster.

The question I have for you is do you think you can remember to drop the safety in a life threatening scenario, if the answer is yes, my next question is can you do it under those conditions without also decocking the gun?

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
USP V1 was designed to mimic the Condition 1 carry of the Colt 1911/P35, I feel just as safe carrying the V1 in Condition 1, as the Colt 1911/P35 in Condition 1.

If you dont feel good with Condition 1, then de-cock it and put the safety on.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
If you dont feel good with Condition 1, then de-cock it and put the safety on.
Or have the gun turned to variant 3. No safety just decocker. The best thing about variant 1 is the ability to carry cocked and locked.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Carry CL

I normally carry decocked with the safety on, comments on decocked and saftey off? Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
I normally carry decocked with the safety on, comments on decocked and saftey off? Thanks
That's what variant 3 would be... no safety, just de-cocker.

As far as the OP goes... the USP was designed (in certain variants) to be able to be carried cocked & locked.

I carry this way occasionally... as long as your holster prevents the safety from being manipulated un-intentionally, I don't see any problems. (as long as the user's trained / practiced in this method of carry, too)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yes, and I think many do. I personally prefer decocked for a double action first pull. If you want to carry C&L, make sure your holster can accommodate that. I have a Safariland model 6280 and it's just a little short for my HK USP .45 full size when cocked, and the hammer rubs the strap making it difficult to move it out of the way on the draw. Perfect fit for decocked which is the way I carry.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've been known to carry mine any of the three ways mentioned, however I think the most important thing is to remember which way you are currently carrying it if you switch occasionally like I do. Sometimes I switch because of the threat level or the holster or both. Being able to do that is one reason all of my HK's are in V1(that can be :D)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I carry my USPc 40 C&L all the time now. At first I carried decocked with safety off, similar to a Glock or a Sigma (Double action only pistols). After many an hour at the range, I stepped up to C&L and never looked back. And yes, I do feel that I can quickly and safely turn the safety off without decocking the pistol and be able to fire accurately. That's the whole point of practicing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
USP V1 was designed to mimic the Condition 1 carry of the Colt 1911/P35, I feel just as safe carrying the V1 in Condition 1, as the Colt 1911/P35 in Condition 1. If you don't feel good with Condition 1, then de-cock it and put the safety on.
And as a side note, the slide can be manipulated (for good or bad) with the safety on, which leads to improved safety during unloading. The bad, although minor, is the slide can be moved 'out-of-battery' if a tight holster is utilized...

·
Registered
821 Posts
1) you should never use a holster that isn't specifically made for the gun or too tight.
2) You should always have your strong hand thumb on the back of the slide/hammer as a tactile check of is the hammer is cocked/decocked and to prevent the slide from being pushed back.

Good practice with Glock, HK, Springfield XD, 1911's and most other semi's.

I see the fact that you can do a press check, unload or other manipulation with the safety engaged as an additional safety mechanism, whether or not you like to carry cocked and locked.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I carry the USPc V1 decocked with the safety off. I bounce back and forth between USPs and Glocks so this is more natural to me. If god forbid I have to draw the pistol all I want to have to do is pull the trigger to get the gun firing. No flipping safety levers for me because I haven't trained myself to do this. I'm by no means a 1911 guy. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can and do. I have a variant 9 plate in both my USPrc and my Tac.

Always sounds like trying to be smart...but with regards to safety...if you don't dis-engage the safety (it's not that easy), and don't apply the proper amount of rearward pressure to the trigger, gun doesn't go bang.

FWIW, I carry C&L in a fanny pack, and I've yet to remove the gun from the bag with the safety already swept off. The detent on the selector plate is pretty positive, and seems like it's not likely to just casually brush off without a lot of direct force.

·
Registered
349 Posts
IMO:

DAO w/LEM trigger. You can add the safety later, if you so choose, but the less I have to fiddle with in a life or death situation, the better. No hitting the safety, no hitting the decocker, etc. Just point and shoot, much like a Glock, only I just happen to like HKs a bit more. The better understanding of the LEM triger system had me reconsider the V5 w/5lb LEM and safety.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I carry my browing hipower cocked and locked and it doesn't have a grip safety. I don't like grip safetys personally.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had my USPc 45 V1 for a few months before I modded it with the LEM trigger. When I was carring it I did carry it cocked and locked. If you dont feel that is safe for you then carry it with the safety on,that is one of the great things about the USP's, several different safety/trigger modes in one frame.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I can't remember a time I've carried a USP in anything other than Condition One. From a mechanical standpoint, I believe the gun to be quite safe in this mode.

Having said that, Condition One carry requires more of an investment in practice time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts