HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Priest of the P7
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'm wondering if anyone has used one of these in their HK91 or clone. I'm looking for a way to replace the crappy buffer in my wood stock sets. I have a couple heavy buffers -- one from HK and one from PCS I believe -- but they're long and as most of you know I would have to mod the stocks and I don't really want to do that.

I bought a hand full of these buffers to cut down for use in wood 93 stocks with my SP5s and Z5s and they seem to work great in that capacity and I have no doubt they'd be fine with 556 in a HK93, but I'm a little leery of trying them with the full power battle rifle cartridge even though "HK 91" is on the packaging. Any insights would be appreciated.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I haven't used them in the 91.

This is the first time I've looked at the installation instruction on these.
I thought they were a drop in, leaving the spring loaded buffer in place.

·
Registered
365 Posts
but they're long and as most of you know I would have to mod the stocks and I don't really want to do that.
Any insights would be appreciated.
they are long for a reason
just nope.

I've learned the hard way, there really is no substitute for tuetonic enginerdring

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
If it's anything like their 1911 buffers....RUN!!! Their polymer doesn't seem very resilient and each subsequent shot just batters the buffer until it is a shredded mass that gums up the works and deadlines your gun.

·
Registered
561 Posts
If it's anything like their 1911 buffers....RUN!!! Their polymer doesn't seem very resilient and each subsequent shot just batters the buffer until it is a shredded mass that gums up the works and deadlines your gun.
I've had this experience with a couple brands of the 1911 style buffers.
In the 1911 the buffer material takes up slide travel space, curls under the small contact patch of the spring and quickly causes issues making the slide difficult to operate, induces jams and can make clearing the gun a problem.

This is a slightly different situation so I didn't initially mention the 1911 or other pistol style buffers but...

It is hard to see how this is a good substitute for the metal spring loaded buffer the 91 is designed to use. It looks like it would also shorten the stroke on the gun at least when manually cycling it even if it squished down to full stroke when firing the gun.

On guns that are designed with squishy buffers those guns are often designed to replace the buffer after a hundred or two hundred rounds or to thrown the gun away after one or two hit and run actions. (Talking MAC here.) The buffer in question is a lot more solid than the foam rubber baby bumper in the back of a MAC but I'm not a big fan of elastomer in the middle of firearms actions.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I guess the best way to know is through your own empirical research- Fire a few rounds, take apart and inspect. With that being said, I'd simply steer clear of these "quick" fixes- They might work at first, but who knows how they will hold up with age. I hate how you have to remove the mechanical buffer to use this- seems counterproductive- just to lessen the felt recoil a little. If you can somehow figure a way to install a heavy buffer into one of your wooden stocks would be best in my opinion. I made an HK21E stock and buffer work for my 91- Had to do a little modification, but it worked flawlessly and the recoil is that of a 22. --- Please let us know how you do, I'm curious what your decision and results will be. Good luck!

·
Priest of the P7
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the insights, guys. After I posted I was looking through old posts and I called Bill and ordered a pair of his.

Reactions: Tom308

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hard to understand how the Springfield unit is an actual buffer without the copper or an elastomer. It can't decrease forward bolt speed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts