HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specifically FMP or one of the other contractors? I don't have one but if I ever came across another Rhodesian FMP G3 kit I would like to at least get the markings on the Mag well if I did a flat build.

The Rhodesian guns were FMP Portugal.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Why not?
There's a lot of mixed feelings regarding "clones"...I hate that word but regardless. If your replicating a rifle why not re-mark it.
The biggest issue with a build is that some feel they should not be marked as something it's not. The only problem I have with it are the people who try passing it off as an original.
Obviously if your a business you certainly wouldn't be able to mark it as something else.

People have been building replicas of muscle cars from grandmas old 6 cylinder for years. Same with the kit car industry, you wouldn't build an AC Cobra kit and call it a Shebly Corba for fear that someone would think it's an original.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
People have been building replicas of muscle cars from grandmas old 6 cylinder for years.
But in these cases you still have a VIN plate to identify what you really have. Be proud of your gun, no matter what it is. I would never mark a gun HK, or FMP because it's "cool". GARY

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I wouldn't do it as somewhere down the line it WILL be tried to be passed off as something it's not.

Despite your remarking the flat, YOU know it isn't what it purports to be so what's the point unless to fool others.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
I wouldn't do it but that's just me. If you want a real FMP then go buy one.

I've got an HK94 SBR and a sear to run in it, but I'm still not going to get it remarked to read "MP5".

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
If your replicating a rifle why not re-mark it.
The biggest issue with a build is that some feel they should not be marked as something it's not. The only problem I have with it are the people who try passing it off as an original.
This might be true for the OP will not pass it off as an original. But most of us don't seem to think about what happens beyond our life time. These guns can exist for a very long time. I've held a 1911 that was originally made in 1912. It was issued to someone the owner knew that was a WW II vet. It had been issued to him in WW II. The vet sold it to my friend as he was didn't want to shoot anymore. So what happens to the gun after the OP passes (if he keeps it that long)? Would his heirs know the difference? Like putting a Rolex tag on a Timex or putting those "Hemi" badges on a '68 Charger six banger, to me marking something as if it is an original when it is not, is not right to me. I would know the difference, but would my heirs? To me, I'm simply the "Stuart" for my guns. They will certainly out last me. They are what they are. YMMV.

Scott

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
If you send an unmarked bent flat to an engraver who is licensed to receive firearms, a bent flat is a firearm, they need to log it into their books before it leaves.
How do they do this?...you need to have your information added to the receiver as the manufacturer (xxx, city, state) along with a serial number before they can ship it back.

That in itself pretty much says that the gun is not an original. I suppose you could send an unbent flat to have marked but that would be risky if the build didn't go well, also your taking a chance on something happening to the engraving during the build.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
...you need to have your information added to the receiver as the manufacturer (xxx, city, state) along with a serial number before they can ship it back.
It needs to have manufacturer, city, state, model and serial number when sent back. There is no requirement that it be YOUR information.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Correct!
What I meant by YOUR information is the information that you supply, "xxx" does not have to be personal information.
The manufacturer could be listed as (21HK, city, state) somewhere on the rec., serial and model on the magwell or where ever.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Question about this.... if I were to build a gun from a flat I could theoretically stamp it like a real HK (HK, Made in Germany ect ) and that would be legal?

Additionally when it comes to "restamping" a completed firearm I thought you could change a model number/name but the actual manufacturer info could not be altered.

Can any builders on this site clarify?

·
Banned
65 Posts
Question about this.... if I were to build a gun from a flat I could theoretically stamp it like a real HK (HK, Made in Germany ect ) and that would be legal?
Yes,,,, but is it ethical? A person who builds from a flat (for personal use) and not for resale can stamp on it anything they want. The question all are alluding to is down the road what happens? The allowance for home building is that it doesn't leave you....ever. Now, a gray area is that you CAN sell the firearm after you make it, BUT, then the sticky happens. New owner gets a ???? HK? PTR? or a Billy Bob.

·
Banned
2,002 Posts
Why not?
There's a lot of mixed feelings regarding "clones"...I hate that word but regardless. If your replicating a rifle why not re-mark it.
Obviously if your a business you certainly wouldn't be able to mark it as something else.

People have been building replicas of muscle cars from grandmas old 6 cylinder for years. Same with the kit car industry, you wouldn't build an AC Cobra kit and call it a Shebly Corba for fear that someone would think it's an original.

This is where the problem arises, greed takes over. Someone is trying to pass off remarked parts right now on GB.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
This issue has been beaten to death just like 922(R). My limited understanding is a private individual can make as many firearms as they want for their own personal use. A manufacturer (Special Operational Tax payer) or importer is required to put a serial # (there are specifics as to font size and depth), model designation, their name, city, and state. A private individual does not have these requirements. But if a SOT takes in a firearm to work on, the SOT/FFL holder is required to log in and out the firearms that he receives and deposes of. So if a private individual ships a firearm he made with no markings for work to be done, how would the SOT log in such a firearm?

A Title I firearm (handgun or rifle not regulated by the National Firearms Act) needs only to have the original serial # from the manufacturer intact. All other marking could be changed. All Title II firearms must retain their original markings when they were registered. There is also the issue of location. It is my understanding that the required info must be on the barrel, frame or receiver. So factory type markings could be placed in the factory locations and the actual manufacturer's info could be placed in other locations.

Is it legal for a private individual to mark his firearm as if it was a factory gun? Yes, and no. Does it break firearm law? No. Could the manufacturer sue the owner for using their name and win? Yes. Is it likely that HK or any manufacturer likely to sue you for marking your firearm as if that manufacturer made it? Probably not. To me, it is what it is. If what you want to do is mark your stuff as if it is something else is your choice. I would just ask those that want to remark their stuff, what about when you are done with it? Could it cause confusion if your firearm is marked as something it is not and you aren't there to explain that difference? We are merely the Stuarts for these firearms. Most will be passed to others who might or might not know what the markings mean. YMMV.

Scott

·
Registered
488 Posts
Honestly I'm not sure how I feel about it. I was unaware home built guns could be marked anyway the builder desired. I thought it would be illegal to stamp a gun made in Germany if you built it in Arizona. I knew you could restamp a model type, like MM is restamping all these sp5K's to MP5

I bought two titian defense TD415 uppers and two minimally marked AR lowers to make 416a5-ish clones. I had planned to have the lowers engraved with 416 or M27 or whatever and have them color filled just above the spikes Tactical info, But that was just for ****s and giggles because I think the marking and color filled verbiage adds a great deal to the aesthetic of the gun - in general I hate the look of the AR platform and the 416 is an exception.

That being said I think restamping or home building a gun and marking it as something it is not for the purpose of deceiving others is seriously messed up.

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Hmm very interesting, I don't think you could pass off a clone as an original, wouldn't the serial give it away?
Who has serial number data bases in their head?
Who has the time, resources, or knowledge to run serial numbers to determine it's authenticity?
Who knows it's even an issue that should be looked into to begin with?
Can you look at a serial number an magically know the provenance of the item?

To answer your question, yes. But how realistic is it to suggest such a notion?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts