HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to machine an o-ring groove in the barrel of my USP like the tactical/expert. Has anybody done that?

·
Registered
250 Posts
It would probably be expensive, difficult, and may cause other problems - not to mention completely pointless. The o rings really don't do anything when it comes to accuracy - the gun is most likely far more accurate than you are.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It would probably be expensive, difficult, and may cause other problems - not to mention completely pointless. The o rings really don't do anything when it comes to accuracy - the gun is most likely far more accurate than you are.
+ 1.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would like to machine an o-ring groove in the barrel of my USP like the tactical/expert. Has anybody done that?
It was done here by several very well skilled individuals, but even they had problems with breaking barrels, and other issues, due to the Hardness of the metal.

Buy aftermarket with a o'ring, or just skip it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
It was done here by several very well skilled individuals, but even they had problems with breaking barrels, and other issues, due to the Hardness of the metal.

Buy aftermarket with a o'ring, or just skip it.
+1

Don't fudge with the factory barrel. Have one made aftermarket to suit your needs and it'll definitely be less of a headache

·
Registered
64 Posts
Leave it stock -- there's no reason to change its design to something else. Accuracy for defensive handguns is a moot point; as long as you can maintain a decent group out to 10 yards, and your POI is close to your POA, you're good to go for self-defense...

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Many have tried, most have cried. Ask Larry at CCF what happens when you try to o-ring a standard USP barrel and hit a hard spot. Ruined barrel and pissed-off customers, that's what. A lot have come on here seeking to make their fortune by o-ringing barrels for both themselves and others, thinking that they knew how to machine better than anyone else and ignored the warnings. They tried and IIRC one or two were ready to take orders, then they quietly disappeared never to be heard from again on the topic.

You want an o-ring, buy an o-ringed barrel from HK or Jarvis or forgetaboutit. They don't do any real good anyway outside of a machine rest.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Leave it stock -- there's no reason to change its design to something else. Accuracy for defensive handguns is a moot point; as long as you can maintain a decent group out to 10 yards, and your POI is close to your POA, you're good to go for self-defense...
+10! Its a fact that 95% of all self defense shootings occur at 21ft and closer - seeing as how the o-ring may/may not improve accuracy at 25 yards+, I see no reason to try to improve the accuracy of a standard USP, plus the major head aches of a ruined barrel. One of my full size USP .45 will shoot 2" groups all day at 25 yards with practice ammo/fixed night sights, thats plenty off accuracy for any gunfight - thats what the standard USP pistol what designed for.

If you want to improve the accuracy of your USP >> practice practice practice ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I just figured it was a more sturdy setup and I like sturdiness. Regardless, I'm still putting consistent little groups on the head/chest of a silhouette and 15 yards so defense is not going to be changed at all... I just wanted the gun to be as complete as possible without doing anything crazy to it.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I'm with Bore. . . You oughtta just consider putting a USP Tactical barrel on it if you want the o-ring.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I should include my location... California. They don't allow anything but a plain usp with 10 round mags.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts