HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is the final word on opening up the magwell? Anybody get an official opinion?

I'd like to get a 94A2 and simply leave it as it is other than removing the blocker bars so I can use hi cap mags. Can you do this legally without having to make it 922R compliant? In my view, it's not any different than getting a "sporting" VEPR, and then using a hi cap Surefire mag in it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
As far as I know, you can't convert it from "sporting" use without making it 922r compliant. I'm converting mine and it would have been pretty cheap to do but I wanted to be able to use 1) foreign magazines and 2) foreign stocks. So that means ~$300 invested in U.S.-made hammer, trigger, sear, trigger box, cocking lever, and trigger housing.

If you buy U.S.-made mags (three 922r parts I think) then you could get away with about $75 worth of parts changes. To me that's a small investment to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
+1 The MKE carbine is in "sporting use" configuration. If you remove those blocking bars in the magwell, then the rifle is in "non sporting use" configuration. So the rifle needs to comply with 922(R). My understanding is removing the blocking bars only is a felony. If you are old enough to buy the carbine, you are old enough to be held responsible for the configuration. So buy the carbine and save a little more money for the compliant parts before removing the magwell blocking bars. YMMV.

Scott

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
922r is a "making" dealie. You won't get busted and earn a felony by simple possession. But you won't retain the gun either... if you get caught with it you most likely won't get charged, but be fully prepared to lose the gun.

If you're gonna putz around with an MKE and remove the blocking bars out of the mag well, be smart and make the gun 922r compliant... first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks. I'll go 922R to be safe. How is it that you can legally use Surefire hi cap mags on low cap Saigas though?

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
Gonna keep poking the bear, eh? I would assume that the Saigas have been made 922r compliant. Saigas look like rifles when they are imported, no? They don't have pistol grips on them. In order to get pistol grips on the Saigas, I would assume whoever is doing the conversion would have 922r already figured in. If not, they would be in the same risk pool as anyone else... like as in everything's cool... until you get nabbed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you buy U.S.-made mags (three 922r parts I think) then you could get away with about $75 worth of parts changes. To me that's a small investment to be on the safe side.
For my first 94a2 conversion, what would be the best way to start with the conversion? I'd like to start with the easy stuff and then add to the build as I have time (and $).

Also, best links to the recommended parts? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
OK, thanks. I'll go 922R to be safe. How is it that you can legally use Surefire hi cap mags on low cap Saigas though?
To be clear, you are referring to the Saiga 12 shotguns, right? The ten round mags are legal to put into the Saiga 12 as imported. The Surefire 12 rd mags are not, without 922(R) conversion done to the shotgun. Where did you see that putting a 12 rd mag in a non-converted Saiga 12 was legal? They can fit into the gun but they are over 10 rds. It is not Surefire's responsibility if the user of the Saiga 12 chooses to put their mag into a sporting use foreign made shotgun. My understanding is that would be a violation of 922(R). The user of the shotgun would be responsible. When the Saiga rifles are imported, like the MKE carbine, the magwell has been manufactured narrow for the 10 rd mag that comes with the gun. As part of the 922(R) conversion, the magwell in the receiver is widened so standard AK mags and drums will go into it.

For my first 94a2 conversion, what would be the best way to start with the conversion? I'd like to start with the easy stuff and then add to the build as I have time (and $).

Also, best links to the recommended parts? Thanks!
To me the least expensive parts would be the cost of the conversion. Typically fire control and cocking handle are inexpensive. The grip frame, forearm, and stock are not very expensive, especially if you can find them used. The fire control would be the most difficult parts to replace. There are some videos with step by step to change out the parts in the trigger pack. You might also find someone willing to trade US made parts for your foreign made parts. Good luck with your conversion project. YMMV.

Scott

·
Registered
148 Posts
Saiga 12's not threaded for chokes are generally counted as 13 parts as far as I know. Surefire mags are US made and have 3 compliant parts which allows them to be installed in place of the 5 round mag they come with. A threaded barrel with a thread protector could possibly be fair game, but where's the fun in that. Always error on the side of compliance, in most cases you're substititing with an improved part and the wieght of being cought dirty is lifted.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Saiga 12's not threaded for chokes are generally counted as 13 parts as far as I know. Surefire mags are US made and have 3 compliant parts which allows them to be installed in place of the 5 round mag they come with. A threaded barrel with a thread protector could possibly be fair game, but where's the fun in that. Always error on the side of compliance, in most cases you're substititing with an improved part and the wieght of being cought dirty is lifted.
Thank you for the clarification. I have to say that I'm not as up on the Saiga 12 platform.

Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts