HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
curious if you can re weld the middle back with a bent lsc receiver bent and cut just a bit oversize and filed down to fit perfectly. Of course a shelf would be welded in place and SB tactical arm brace installed. Would i need a fake silencer pinned. I have my own nave semi auto trigger pack clipped and pinned so that would of course replace the full auto one from the gun.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
You would need to back and weld over the original mag release holes BEFORE even attempting to reweld the reciever. Doing things in the correct order is essential. A TIG for this kind of reweld I would think would be essential to getting it right. (I use mig for my projects but think it might add greatly to the challenge of getting a proper reciever reweld done) Weld clean up would be challenging getting inside the reciever so taking your time and creating proper heat sinks and an alignment jig would be key to success. You will need to watch out for weld shrinkage and distortion to the sheet metal in the process of welding. Made that mistake with welding on a rear sight base. Had it perfectly aligned, instead of spot welding in place on all sides and checking. I seam welded down one side first, the did other side. The first sides seam when it cooled pulled the sight base to one side, since I did not double check between welds I had to cut it off and get another sight base.. I have wondered and thought a bit about this kind of build and have wondered it cutting the stub clean behind the mag well like a HK21 build would be any easier on weld clean up since it would allow some access trough mag well and ejection port. Good luck if you attempt it. When you weld it, a couple tack welds around it to hold it in position before seam welding. As said before when you fold and weld a flat that weld seam will shink enough that you notice it which could cause issues doing the circumference of a reciever. And watch out for shrinkback when you get to edge of reciever as the puddle cools. I have found with the mig, stop welding let it shrink back as it cools, tag it for a split second to fill, let cool, if shrinkback not filled tag again. Quick shots only at that point.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Anything is possible with enough skill and money.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks so much for the reply, that was a great explanation. I just got the Kit today. its a 91 mp5 with a very small section cut out. usually they cut the mag well off and torch the receiver. this one seems to be cut with a saw as i see no molten metal. got it for 1150, a3 stock and surefire hand guard. I'm bending the lsc flat tomorrow and will fill the paddle/trigger pack hole now.

another question…i have an zenith and and it has a double push pin with a tiny shelf. is that possible to build like that? why can they have that?-

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have not handled onr but from other threads I believe they have other denials in the trigger pack IIRC. If you want to use an HK pack on it you will need to fill the holes and put a standard HK style denial on it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
RDTS will take a ridiculous sum of money from you, and in exchange, will do exactly what you are asking. I forget the premium, but it was well into the four digits.

Sounds like an expensive way to make a crappy gun to me.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It can be done. Mine did not by any means turn out flawless, but it shoots great. Occasionally won't eject the shell I'm guessing that is due to the bolt group needing a new ejector spring. I can attest to the way the welding will warp the receiver. Mine slightly warped in one spot bending it slightly but I was able to clean up the inside enough that the bolt group runs perfect through it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts