HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,.. so this is my first post here. Been lurking for a few weeks while researching HK pistols. I am a 1911 guy and am looking to branch out a bit. I'm not interested in Glocks or Sig's but really like the similarities between the 1911 format and the HK 45 and HK45C.

I am trying to decide which will be my first HK (45 or 45C). I have held the P30 but have not been able to hold the HK 45 or 45C. I would carry it some but I already have a great setup with my pocket .380 and my Commander 1911. The HK's main purpose would be range/IDPA and some carry. I am really leaning towards the 45C because of the carry options it gives me.

If you had to decide on which model,... well,.. what would you choose?

Also,.. I am so used to a nice crisp SA trigger that I think I would have to get the Light LEM variant for me to find the trigger acceptable. I would still prefer to have the thumb safety available but not sure if I can have the thumb safety with no de-cocker option with the Light LEM variant. The variants can get confusing!!

So,... just looking for some advice and possibly some points that I have not even thought about.

This is a great forum and I'm excited to get my first HK !!!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Congrats but I have the same problem buddy. I really like full size guns but with a ten round mag and good sights on a HK45c you're really not giving up that much when getting the HK45c over the HK45. Some folks like the ergo grip on the HK45 but ergo doesn't really impress me on anything... I started out shooting Glocks so ergos or not (and Glocks are anti ergo lol) I can still shoot and hit my target comfortably.

GTmtnBiker gives some of the best advice on all the forums I've been on. I expect him to chime in soon, he once told me you can always make a HK45c bigger but not a HK45 smaller. Simple yet that is what steered me towards the HK45c. Chuck S. is a 1911/HK45c guy and it sounds like you want a 1911 trigger... I'd get in touch with him if I was you, he has comparison pictures and loves the LEM and can give you some good advice.

·
Registered
18,642 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I don't think you would go wrong with either one, but as for me, I'd prefer the HK45C over the full-size HK45 for ease of carry. They're both incredibly accurate out of the box, reliable, and over engineered (which is good). The HK45 grip is very similar to the P30, just a tad larger. If you can't find a HK45c to hold, see if you can rent a P2000 at your local range or LGS. Its grip is very similar to HK45c.

However, I don't think it'll be an issue to pick one over another because, eventually, you'll own both. Trust me on this. :wink:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I would get the HK45 full size due to the 10 rounds and the better ergonomics. unless your first priority is carry.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
You can get 10 round mags for the HK45c...actually they are the full size magazine with a different floor plate.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I own 2 HK45s and love em. Never plan to get rid of em. But I would get the HK45c if I was you. As others said, it's just gonna be a more comfortable carry piece

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow,.. thanks guys for all the responses. Like I said before,... I have been leaning towards the 45c only because it does offer me a carry option as well as accepting the larger magazines. I guess my gut was right.

Can anyone talk about the option of Light LEM with the thumb safety and no de-cocker? Didn't know if that was an option but not a deal breaker by any means. I don't mind a de-cocker and I also don't mind the lack of thumb safety if that is what it takes to get the trigger feel closer to a 1911.

I noticed Cross Creek has the Light LEM 45c ready to ship,... Will that be any better in terms of performance & warranty than doing it myself or sending it to H&K?

BTW,.. RHINOWSO,... That is one sweet pic. I love the look of no "waterski" as the baseplate to the mag. A flat baseplate is very cool.

Thanks for all the advice everyone !! Keep chiming in if you think of something. I'll keep you all updated on my purchase.

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
My original plan was to get one of each as working guns. I ended up with two 45C's both with threaded barrels and a boatload of 10 round mags. It was a no brainer that I would be using them concealed on protective assignments and off duty carry, but I could make them bigger. I ended up getting another two for a total of 4. I had one done at Cold Bore Customs with a full stipple package, took the front hook of the 8 round mag and the front of the 10 round reload was also trimmed off. It is a great daily concealed carry package. All were set up as DA/SA V1's.

Recently, I fell into a couple of deals on full size HK45's. I wanted a dedicated light gun with an X300, so the full size is the only option. I got a second gun with the Light LEM and a safety. It very much mimics the manipulations required for a 1911. I shot it a bunch today and I will be setting both HK45's up like this and one of the C's. I have found the 45C to be a great do it all pistol. The full size is a "little" better shooter as far as its size makes it a little easier to run. The reality is that an HK45C for daily carry combined with a full size HK45 for competition and as a dedicated tactical pistol with a light would work well. They share many parts, you can set the triggers up to be identical, and with some custom stippling, you could make them even feel the same. I'd get the 45C first and follow on with the full size.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The LEM does not have a decocker, the pistol decocks when the trigger is pulled and the hammer spring is allowed to release with the hammer. A lot of folks here are not fans of the safety on the LEM platform. I like having the lever there, as it is a nice place for my thumb to ride. The pistols that Cross Creek has are the way to go if you know you want the LEM option. The conversion was done on these by HKUSA, and they save you time and money in converting it yourself. However, if you don't know if you want LEM, I suggest getting a DA/SA and trying it out first. If you then decide you want the LEM, then you can convert it later with a parts kit. There is not voiding of the warranty by doing it yourself, but if HK has to fix your mistake, they'll make you pay for it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
OP
If you will be mainly using the HK for IDPA or range use I would say to get the full size HK45 unless the textured ergo grip is bothersome to you, I shoot my HK45C V9 in IDPA and action shooting league weekly and I would have to admit that the full size would be better for that purpose. I see that you prefer a 1911 type of trigger, I don't know if you have had a chance to dry fire a LEM trigger but they are completely different than a 1911, if that is really what you would like your HK to mirror I say hands down get the gun in V1 and convert it to V9 (run it as a safety only no de-cocker) and spring for a GGI reduced reset carry perfection job. The HK45 SA while NOT a 1911 will be very good and as close as you can get on an HK that is not an expert, match or tactical. I do have a P2000SK 9mm with the light LEM (I also use it in IDPA and practical action) so I am familiar with the LEM variant, I do like it very much but like I said it is not anything like a 1911.
GOTURBACK

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The "ergo" grip on the HK45 does not fit my hand at all. The original HK45 frame was designed to mimic the M1911 grip preferred by many armed professionals and looks just like the HK45C frame, but was changed to the effeminate P30 style for production. The original frame design was retained for the HK45C (and P2000). Your preferences may be different. My own suspicion is the marketing folks wanted finger grooves.

Gun Games are handicapped or setup like bracket racing at the drag strip. The M1911s are in a separate class to allow the others to compete with other lessor pistols. :wink:

Light LEM will give you a trigger similar to a good SA trigger without the need for a frame safety as needed in a M1911.

-- Chuck

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
After owning multiples of both, I settled on the HK45c as my "do all" .45 ACP. I AM NOT a 1911 fan by any means, so anything I say about that platform must be met with skepticism. As already mentioned, the HK45c is a more versatile platform, capable of fulfilling several tasks to include HD, CCW, training etc. Not saying that the HK45 can't do this, only that the HK45c can do it in a smaller package. You give up zero in terms of ergonomics, capacity, and inherent accuracy. So, why buy a full size pistol with a rough texture frame only to decide that it's either too big for concealed carry or the rough texture hurts your skin?

As for LEM vs. DA/SA, not even going there. Be sure to try before you buy. If you are seeking a "1911" type trigger, IMO the LEM is the farthest from this achievement. The closest the HK comes to the 1911 trigger would be the SAO variant.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The "ergo" grip on the HK45 does not fit my hand at all. The original HK45 frame was designed to mimic the M1911 grip preferred by many armed professionals and looks just like the HK45C frame, but was changed to the effeminate P30 style for production. The original frame design was retained for the HK45C (and P2000). Your preferences may be different. My own suspicion is the marketing folks wanted finger grooves.

Gun Games are handicapped or setup like bracket racing at the drag strip. The M1911s are in a separate class to allow the others to compete with other lessor pistols. :wink:

Light LEM will give you a trigger similar to a good SA trigger without the need for a frame safety as needed in a M1911.

-- Chuck

Chuck,

Your continued use of the word “effeminate” is really an insult to those of us who use it, like it, and are tactically more proficient with our fighting pistols because of it.

I don’t often cringe at your posts, but when you make judgment statements, which are by nature, insulting (you calling me a pu**y?) like this I lose respect for you, and your credibility suffers.

The grip on the HK45 and P30 is ergonomic, modern, contoured, or one of any other appropriate adjectives. Not unlike a lot of things designed for comfort and greater dexterity. The computer mouse in your hand is not a square block of plastic, is it? The list of similar examples I could give would be lengthy, indeed.

Just some FYI. If you don’t like it, or if continue to not like it, it’s not a big deal to either of us, I’m sure.

Your posts are often informative, and differing opinions about things is fine. A good thing, really. Quit insulting others. I’m pretty sure one of those “effeminate” users out there would be happy to challenge your assertion of their masculinity.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I used "effeminate" regarding the grip on the HK45 and P30 because the scollops are styling gimmicks, not functional items. I wasn't calling anyone names. :wink: Your opinion of them may be different but the two principal special operations veteran advisers in the HK45 project (for the aborted Army service pistol trials) were unhappy the grips were changed on the production pistols as well.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
You know what army stands for right chuck. Ain't. Really . Men . Yet . Just saying

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I used "effeminate" regarding the grip on the HK45 and P30 because the scollops are styling gimmicks, not functional items.

-- Chuck
I would bet that the ELU's of these pistols that rave about the way they fit their hands would disagree with you. The grip allows the pistol to melt into the hand, and allows a lot of shooters to shoot it better; there is no getting around that fact. I'm not crazy about the look either, but I cannot argue with the results.

I really don't care about the high speed designers unhappiness when the end result yielded an ergonomic pistol that is an improvement over the USP for some shooters. Don't get me wrong, LAV is a rock star; but in this case form is following function.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Personally, I love the the grips on my HK45. I shoot on a farm with a pretty manly group of old school guys. These are tried and true 1911-through-and-through type of guys, and none of them have ever called my grips or gun "effeminate". Of course, my groups are about 50% smaller than theirs, so that probably helps. But, a huge selling point for me when I bought the HK45 was how well it fit into my hand. This is my night stand pistol and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I currently use a 45c for work daily (detective) and could not be happier. Gun is fantastic "jack of all trades".

1 - 20 of 38 Posts