HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...way more of a handgun guy here...but recently got into the assault rifle thing and the bug is getting worse. I have always used AR's at work so like them, familiar have a couple etc...I then got the few I always wanted, FAL (ended up with a few IMBELs I stumbled across cheap...bought the lot) then got a PS90 and my favorite ploytech legend AK. I have the usual M1 Garand, carbine, etc The more I screw around with them the more I have the bug to get a full size HK 91 or 93. I like the 94's but I can shoot MP5's at work all day for free and the civilian ones are 20,000 lol so I can't see even getting a semi for 4 or 6k when I can shoot full's for free soooooooooo back to the 91 / 93 question~ If I get one legit full blown HK rifle...which would you guys recommend???

Thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you can only get one... I would buy the HK93.
Ammo is much cheaper.
Do like I did... buy both.
The average HK91 will be cheaper than the average HK93 by about $300 -$500.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Easy, 93. 93s are fun to shoot, super smooth. 91s are a pain in the ass to shoot, pretty violent. Stick with the FAL in 7.62.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'd go with the 93 also.Cheaper to shot,easier on your shoulder and because far fewer were imported as compared to 91's,they should hold their value better.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANKS !!

As usual a plethora of great information from the forum members. Your certainly right about ammo as we get 223 rounds out the [email protected]@ since we can use them at work...and here in S Fla with all the fellow officers being shot by assault rifles alot of the PD's, like ours, are opening up the "what you can carry" window ALOT....thank goodness finally we can have half the fire power they have! I am very lucky where I am as we can have just about anything handgun wise and getting close rifle wise as well. Will start checking out the 93's and see what's out there ;-) of course while I am looking, will probably take a peek at some 91's as well :00000:

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Id definitely go for the 91 if I could only have one military style rifle. Yes the ammo is more expensive,for now but the mags are ridiculously cheap. Since the G3 was a standard military rifle, there are tons of reasonably priced spare parts out there. The 93 may use cheap ammo but everything else for it is expensive. There are no cheap magazines and even the A3 stocks are expensive. The 93 is also a heavy weapon for a 5.56, it weighs almost as much as a 91.

Id buy the 93 as a second weapon if you want a 5.56 roller rifle. I dont care much for the 5.56 as a military cartridge but it is fun on the range. I prefer the extra punch and range of the 7.62 NATO... Not to get into the horrible kick internet stories but I mean... my 18 yo daughter handles my HK41 just fine and we are small people.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I agree with KBAR in that I don't think very much of the 5.56 as a military round either, so I would choose the 91 if I didn't want to buy both. Parts are cheaper, easier to find and the 91's added firepower make it the better all-around choice. The 93 is a great range rifle, though.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
I just picked up an "IC" date code 91. I was wanting either 91 or 93 but stumbled accross a sweet deal on the 91.

For all practical purposes, get what will make sense for why you want it. This was my first 9x series rifle so it really didn't matter to me which one I got first as I was more interested in getting a genuine HK than which caliber to get. I will eventually get a 93 if I come accross a deal on one.

5.56 ammo is common in LE (M4's AR's etc all use it) so if you think from a combat perspective, you'll be able to grab ammo in your in a pinch. Also as mention, smoother to shoot--your consecutive shots should be more accurate.

The .308, for all practical purpose, is a special applications caliber (snipers, etc...). You'll get more distance and more penetration at the sarifice of stable rapid-rife which is why you'll find more big-game hunters using 270's, 30-06's and 308's versus 5.56's.

Someone mentioned mags... very true. 91 mags are CHEAP... about $2.50-$3.50 for a 20-rnd unissued German mag but I don' know that I would be concerned too much about that... if you can afford a Ferrari, you can probably afford the insurance.

It is also true that 93's are priced higher due to far fewer imports (less than 1/2 of all the 91's imported). I wonder of this may change over the years as I am seeing many 91's begin converted to 51's. If you're buying a shooter I wouldn't be so concerned about long-term value as you will eventually be replacing parts in it and a true collector will be more interested in a date-code matched rifle.

Buy the caliber that best fits your use. Best advice I can give.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Another vote for the 91. If I had to have one, its a close race between a IMI Galil ARM .223 and the HK91. 91 wins because of the options, accessories and versatility. You want a versital .233, buy a good AR IMHO.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I should have known SOMEHOW you guys would make me buy both lol

Sincerely appreciate all the input tho...I always come here first for the real deal!!!

Thanks

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
"BOTH"... now THERE'S the "right" answer :D

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I'd go with the 93 as well, not really sure why I say that, have 4x91 and 3x93's....
That's because you are way imbalanced. Your subconscious is telling you that you must restore balance in the universe and have an even number of 91s as 93s.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
That's because you are way imbalanced. Your subconscious is telling you that you must restore balance in the universe and have an even number of 91s as 93s.
LMAO! Since I only have one of everything I own, I guess I never had balance. Guess I have to work on getting starting off out of balance so can get to working on restoring it :D

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
Another .308 guy. Gotta get my 91 type rifles together for a picture or two.:20000000:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I hunt with my Hksr9,.308 firepower is very versitile. The 93 is cool and accurate, but you can get so many different types of .223 rifles right now. Plus Hk is going to come out with their version of the ar15 in the near future and it is sure to be awesome.

·
2,832 Posts
YUP......think you hit the nail on the head....heck I didnt know I need another untill now......shame on me for having imbalance......will try hard to fix this before the world spins out of controll :D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts