HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very good with a handgun, wheel gun or semi-auto, but I cannot get bullseyes out of my USP. I use the popular thumbs forward style with marrying the fatty thumb muscles together and locking the weak hand elbow down for the isometric tension. I've tried thumbs up, thumbs forward, and locking the strong hand thumb down with the weak hand thumb. Is there a particular way I should be holding this thing? I love the gun, looks and funtion, but I'm not going to keep a pistol that I can't shoot.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Almost as a rule Hk's are extremely accurate. Would like to know more info, like-is this pistol new to you, where are you shooting- low and left, etc? what type of other semi's do you have, how are you shooting it, DA, SA, how do you shoot your other pistols-DA, SA, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shoot low and to the right at 20 feet it's not noticeable, still in the 8-9 rings on Walmarts 25 yard targets. At about 15 yards I'm barely in the black circle anymore. I've shot Hi-Powers, 1911s, Beretta 92/96s and .357s all in the 9-10 ring. With my duty gun (Glock 21) I'm extremely accurate and with my Glock 17 I was hitting bowling pins at 40-50 yards the other day.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Are the sights lined up ok? My P2ksk came with the front sight off center and had to be moved a bit. Other than that I cant think of why a USP would be inaccurate especially if you know you can shoot the 40

·
Registered
62 Posts
Let somebody else shoot it who is used to HK's. You never know, maybe the gun just isn't a good fit for you.

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
Operator error - concentrate on the 3 basics of shooting

1 - Grip
2 - Trigger control
3 - Sights
4 - Practice practice practice
*OK 4 basics*

If you always apply these basics, you should be able to shoot any weapon well in 20 shots, after learning each weapon's nuances.
The USP DA isnt that easy to learn, but the SA is very usable and should not pose any issues at all.

Going from my Colt 1911's & P35 (High Power) was pretty straight forward, except the USP DA, that takes a bit of getting used to.
Still my USP's blow out the bulls eyes at 50ft with boring regularity.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The OP mentions a G21 is his duty gun so I would assume he has had training.

·
Registered
66 Posts
practice trigger control like the earlier posts. Thats what happened to me. I couldn't understand how my friend were being accurate and my bullets went in ten thousand direction.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Possible trigger work maybe needed. Also the .40 can be picky, try different brands with different bullet weights. The load maybe your trouble.

Bill

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
3 words: Get some training from a professional.

O.K... 5 words.
64 hours of handgun class with people who've won numerous handgun matches since the 70s.

Let somebody else shoot it who is used to HK's
This is my plan. My swat commander mentioned he loves USPs, it was his father's duty gun in Tuscon, and I'm going to have him take it to the range and see what's up. The trigger is definitely different than any of the guns I've fired.

The sights are Meprolight night sights.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i shot a glock for 10 years and was very accurate with it. then i bought a 1911 colt 45 govt. I always wanted one. I couldint hit the house if i was standing in it!! I practiced and practiced and could never shoot the groups i could with the glock. I was lucky if i could keep it on the paper at 25 yards. However my brother was very good with it. So i gave up on that project. then i bought a usp .45 and i was almost instantly as accurate with it as i was the glock. Now i shoot even tighter groups with the usp. And in a tactical run and gun setting i am deadly. For me the 1911 just didnt work for me. I am not saying that the usp wont work out for you. but i have learned that sometimes a gun just doesnt fit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is exactly what I'm saying. I'm pretty darn accurate with my HK and any 1911 but hand me a glock and I'm throwing all the bullets over the top of the target. Maybe you can practice up and get as good with the HK as you are with other guns but who knows.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts