HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update: the protruding portion (wings I will call them) on each side of the carry handle base kept the slim forearm from sliding far enough down to go on; with the thick handguard on which I have the bipod, there was no problem but the thin one would not.

Took it off badly scratched do put it back on. Thanks anyway!

I am considering something and need information:

If I remove a carry handle mounted on a IB date code HK 91, what is the best way to do so? Put grease or oil on it and use a soft hammer and tap it forward? For those of you who have removed the carry handle, is there a gouge where the carry handle was?

I have the original thin hand guard and wanted to be able to replace the wide forearm and bipod with the thin hand guard and be able to put the wide forearm and bipod back on.

I cannot use the thin hand guard with the carry handle on it because it does not fit. Here is a picture of the gun which has both the A-2 and A-3 stock. I carefully removed the scope claw mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Well they fit pretty tight. You can try the oil thing with a rubber mallet. But, The down side is. It has more than likely already put a scratch on the rifle when it went on.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Most plastic or fiberglass slimlines need a little 'relief' to fit properly.

A minute or two with a file or Dremel does the trick.

Don't try and pinch the handle mount a bit to make it fit, either. They are made of very hard steel and will crack.

Dennis

·
Registered
486 Posts
What might help is some spray white lithium grease. This goes on in a liquid and after the carrier evaporates it leaves the grease. The liquid will probably flow under under the sheetmetal better. Get a can that has a straw so you can direct the spray better. Unfortunately scratches are pretty much inevitable, it is the nature of the beast. The handle itself is going to show rubbing through the finish because when it is raised and lowered it will rub. The ends of the handle are deliberately offset to prevent it from flopping around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts