HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently only own to handguns which are the USP compact and a tomcat 32. I do not have a holster for the usp compact but would like any good recommendations. I am a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy and honestly the more i think about it the more i question carrying the usp it seems a bit on the hefty side. I just got my CHL two weeks ago and instead of looking for a holster for my usp i find myself sticking my tomcat in my pocket. I am also in the market for another handgun i really wanted to wait for the HK45 but i really am considering a p7 for carry. I am also considering a Kimber cdp pro cause of it slim and shorter design. I do love my usp though. I love HK period.

·
Registered
870 Posts
From what I can tell, the HK45 will be slimmer than a USP. Simmler to the kimper you are thinking about. So I say wait for the HK45. I called HK today, they told me the P30 will be out late this month, the HK45 will be out late fall, and the HK45c will be out early next year. As far as a holster, look at a the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 IWB.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I carry a USP 40 Compact from fall to early spring when extra clothing is required. During the hot months i carry a Keltec P3AT 380 auto. The Keltec is smaller then your tomcat i do belive, or around the same size, but in .380. Don't be fooled, or buy into the hype that a .45 is the only caliber to use; the .380 has more then enough pop to get the job done.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with you bun. I used to think it was .45 or nothing till i was able to carry. Sometimes in fact most of the time here in the texas heat its hard to wear proper attire to hide something bulky. The more i think about it, the more i feel that worse come to worse in a bad situation the .32 would give me running room :) . I had a friend that carries a full size 1911 that made fun of me when i showed him my tomcat but i asked him to be realistic if someone was a life threat to me and i shot off a couple of rounds even if i didnt take him down by the time he looked back up i would be gone. I not one to stick around and find out what damage i did, with the .32 im shootin and runnin. now if i had my .45 with +p golden sabers i might just run behind a car. Point is im still running. After all its about survival, i wanna be around to tell the story.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In reality, 99.9% of the time, when someone is getting shot at, reguardless of caliber, and being hit or not, they sheet themselfs. And most of the time even the site of a gun can drasticly change ones mind on doing something stupid.

·
Banned
77 Posts
I am a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy and honestly the more i think about it the more i question carrying the usp it seems a bit on the hefty side.
I tend to disagree. I live in South Africa and I've been hauling my USP40C along for the last three years now, come sun or snow. I carry in a Comp-Tac C.T.A.C shirt tucker, shirt tucked when wearing a dress shirt or just hanging over when just wearing a T-shirt. I also have a Fobus HK1 holster (nice and cheap) for when I'm wearing a jacket in winter, but the Comp-Tac gets used probably 90% of the time.

Also, its worth investing in a decent ankle hoster. In the beginning I dreaded the idea, but I gave it a try. Lately I've been using it more and more, especially when doing a lot of driving (hi-jackings here are frequent and violent!).

I have two other hand guns (G17 and USP40F), but will keep on carrying my USP40C till I die! :61:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I carry my USPc in a ctac with shorts (or jeans) and a t-shirt.

There is another option too... before I got my USPc, I used to carry a Bersa Thunder .380. I used a "smart-carry" holster for that. I've also carried my USPc and USP .45 in it a couple times. It does have some down sides to it, but you can use that with just a pair of shorts and carry concealed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
C-TAC!!

I carry my USPc .45 in a C-TAC, and I love it! It's very comfortable, relatively inexpensive for a quality product, top notch customer service, and it does an excellent job concealing my pistol. It's a great hoster for a great pistol! I would strongly recommend it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I carry my 45c in a Don Hume J.I.T. Costs about $25.oo off their web site. Good holster for the money. I like the fact they have tension screws to tighten the grip on the pistol. In the summer when I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt, I use a belly-band. I can carry my XD45 with 14 rds. with the belly-band. Nice thing about the belly-band is the fact that it's elastic and can form to a full size HK or a 2" snubbie.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
The size difference between the two pistols sounds like your problem. I wouldn't say a USPc is heavy, but compared to a Beretta Tomcat it is. I would either hip carry it or go IWB. I like Galco holsters for IWB carry. I would never just stick a pistol in my pocket without a pocket holster, but thats just me.

If you can find a P7 to shoot before you get one then do it. You will definatly want one after you fire a couple rounds through it. Headshots are easy at 25ft.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well guys I am going to go ahead and order a IWB holster not sure what brand yet the c-tac is very versatile but i like the look of the leather ones not that anyone would see it but if a friend asks i can show him my nice holster. I figured fall and winter is around the corner and i will have a chance to get used to it, after all that is the reason i bought the usp compact and not the full size. Maybe im just knocking it before i try it. It could be a total difference once i get that puppy in a holster. After all i would rather trust my life on an HK of any caliber. By the way i do use a pocket holster but i consider it more of a shape hider then a holster. Thats all they are really good for imo, you cant see the imprint of a gun in your pocket, well i guess it also keeps it from shifting.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't want to delve into a caliber war, easy as it could be. My listed carry weapons are as follows... 9mm, 40, and a 38 snub soon to be changed to a Kimber Pro Tac 45 because the 38, handy as it is sees very little use. Remember to bring enough gun, if 32 is all right with you, then so be it. I carry the 40 USP compact IWB with a rig from Gun Leather USA more than the baby Glock or Smith airweight. Its cheap, the construction is superior and it rivals rigs at twice the price or more, its a "summer special" type design and can be had for about $40-45 shipped. If you find the compact still too big maybe bridge the gap with a P2000sk offered in 9/40/357sig.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I currently only own to handguns which are the USP compact and a tomcat 32. I do not have a holster for the usp compact but would like any good recommendations. I am a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy and honestly the more i think about it the more i question carrying the usp it seems a bit on the hefty side. I just got my CHL two weeks ago and instead of looking for a holster for my usp i find myself sticking my tomcat in my pocket. I am also in the market for another handgun i really wanted to wait for the HK45 but i really am considering a p7 for carry. I am also considering a Kimber cdp pro cause of it slim and shorter design. I do love my usp though. I love HK period.
i hear you talking about a good holster, i see you saying nothing about a good belt. you can have the best custom made holster in the world, if you don't have a proper gun belt, it won't matter.

i carry the uspc .45 with my blade-tech kydex iwb holster and my wilderness instructors belt. i can carry my tac .45 with the same rig (different holster, obviously).

you need a proper belt.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
...By the way i do use a pocket holster but i consider it more of a shape hider then a holster. Thats all they are really good for imo, you cant see the imprint of a gun in your pocket, well i guess it also keeps it from shifting.
More importantly a pocket holster keeps the trigger sheilded.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dude, I too live in the "sauna" that is Houston, and I also carry a USP Compact (in 9mm). I use an AKJ Concealco IWB w/ sweat shield to carry my piece. First of all, it's a great IWB rig for concealed carry, well-crafted gunleather that's custom boned for your weapon by the owner himself-Andrew Johnson. Second, his holsters are priced reasonably, about $75 shipped. And finally, he won't take months and months to get your's done (mine took about 3 weeks to make, great time for a truly custom holster).

A sample of his work...

He designs his holsters with a unique belt loop configuration that really helps to hide the weapon and increase comfort. I generally dress in jeans/shorts and a t-shirt too (when not at work), and my USP9C does not print under the t-shirt.

Check out his holsters at: http://66.148.49.244/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ACL&Category_Code=051IWB

·
Registered
267 Posts
Board member pete10 makes some GREAT kydex for a very reasonable price!

·
Registered
73 Posts
You cannot beat a SmartCarry for stealthy, easy "jeans and T-shirt" carry. Ie., go anywhere and no one will notice. I am not a large man but can easily conceal a USPc .45 even with tight jeans and a short t-shirt, or even in running gear.

Or, better yet, the P7, which is a thing of beauty. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
When I carried my USP45C it was in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. By far the most comfy IWB holster I have ever used. Sparks has a long wait, 16+ weeks, but Lightning Arms usually has some stock. You would be surprised at how comfortable and concealable a "big" gun can be in a quality holster and belt combo. Lately my carry has been using a Comp-Tac Infidel, simply cause the clips on the CTAC just dont work for me. They make some quality Kydex and have great service, plus their prices are hard to beat.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I carry an USP 45c in a Galco SOB when it's not in my "PlannerPlus". As mentioned before, the belt is also Galco to eliminate twist and flex. If the belt lets the holster move up 2 inches before it releases, "We have a problem, Houston!" The SOB works fine if I am standing all the time, sitting takes some getting used to. I keep a Blackhawk CQB in the truck with the paddle attached if I want I'm in and out all day (I mounted an Uncle Mikes on the side of my console at my right knee for driving). I find it funny that people who collect and use one of the more expensive handguns made are always looking for cheap holsters. I'm sure they are the same guys that buy $45.00 embroidered HK and SIG shirts and $125.00 sneakers. Right?? ( I know because I used to be one and all I have to show for it is a box full of holsters that I don't use and collectively probably cost more that the good one). I will always remember Bill Cosby saying, "You want to get your kids out of the hood, quit buying them $187.00 Air Jordans and buy them Hooked On Phonics". It's about priorities. Priorities that one day may decide if you or one of your loved ones live or die.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts