HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Although this thing is doing its job protecting the threads, it's also falling apart. There was also evidence of rust on the inside. I hate to potentially damage CCF's reputation, it's a great business as far as I can tell, but considering the price I believe we should expect better.

Note: This is the O-ring variety with less than 1000 rounds, and the marks in the barrel are just lint.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's not just carbon buildup? If not - yikes.
Good question; it's definitely not carbon.*

*Based on the fact that it shreds patches, doesn't respond to solvent, and is quite hard. I'll try sicking some dental tools on it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
For some reason, I never shoot my Tactical with the thread protector on. I only use it when I store the gun or traveling to/from the range.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
While perusing the AAC site, I noticed they sell thread protectors for the USP tac pistols as well - made of anodized aluminum. From the color in your pic, it appears to be aluminum as well.

Jeez, no wonder it's crumbled apart like that. Also, is the barrel face perfectly flat, or is it slightly concave from the edge down to the bore hole?

If it's concave, when you screw the protector on, there would be a small gap between the edge of the protector and the muzzle face. Whether there is or not, every time you fire a blast of superheated air would be forced into that gap, so I can see why it would gradually eat away the protector.

I'd look around for a steel protector, as even when anodized, aluminum is much weaker than steel, especially when it gets hot, like that sharp edge would do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hrmm...anyone know if the OEM H&K thread protector would give you the same issues?

Maybe you can put the CCF vortex flash supressor on there instead :)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Wow, theres no way it should look like that.

As far as thread protectors go, some have the "face" or a small lip that goes out in front of the muzzle to cover it a bit... SOme of these cover up more than others, i belive tho, HK is more of a "non covered" variant.

All guns have a "crown" on them Dave, thats what affects how the bullet lets go from the barrel (some are very shallow, such as 11 degree target crowns, or 30 or 45 degree combat crowns)... From what i can tell, the USP/Mark23 has more of a 45 degree-ish crown.

There really shouldn't be much in the way of the crown, it looks like it has been covered up too much (not big enough hole) and there could possibly be some "peppering" (same thing that happens to suppressor baffles) where the unburnt powder is eating away at the edge. If its alluminum, this would be the case 100%, HOWEVER, since Hazium said there were signs of rust, this leads me to beieve it might be steel.

If its steel, it could still be prone to the sandblasting effect of the powder, MABEY, couple with heat, it would be enough to cause so much damage...

In any case, i would look to see if CCF will rectify the problem... This is definatly not regular, and it almost appears that it was not machined properly... If CCF doesn't offer any help, then i would suggest getting someone with either a drill press, or someone at a machine shop, to enlarge the hole some... Usually a machinist would do something like that for a few bucks, or a beer or something, its pretty standard machining.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I know that Larry at CCF does not use aluminum in the making of his TPs. I thought he uses stainless like Mark McWillis (TROS) does but won't swear to it. I have all TROS TPs, some of them without the front flange and some with. None of his look like this and they have quite a few more rounds through them than yours does. This is the first I have heard of any of Larry's TPs having this issue also.
One thing I do know, knowing Larry and his product line, if you contact him it will be a no brainer and he will replace it AND figure out why it did this in the first place so it will not happen again.

Just a general comment and not directed specifically toward you but to all people with seemingly defective products that do not contact the maker of the product first. I have always wondered why when people have an obvious problem with a product, such as this, people post on general boards before ever contacting the maker to see if something is wrong and what can be done about it. The maker is more knowledgeable than ANYONE about their product and it only seems fair to me to give them a chance to correct the problem first. And it eliminates a lot of armchair quarterbacking and often uninformed guesses about a makers QC and product line. In this case, sure as hell someone, someplace (likely from Arizona and if you don't know what I mean by that then you are lucky) is going to post that CCF now uses aluminum in the making of his TPs since it was mentioned in this thread and I know that is not the case. And I know just the guy who will see this post and will pick it apart and post everywhere that CCF's QC is lacking.
General open forum posts about a bad product can have a serious influence on the maker's business, even if it is only a $30 item. People, such as Larry, make superb items from TPs to suppressors and if people were to get the idea that a maker's QC is lacking, from one defective product, then the buyer very well may choose to go with brand X rather than his. IMO always give the maker a chance to "make good" before spreading the word that there may be a defect in somebody's product line.
We see this all the time with HK firearms. Someone thinks they have a problem and come on here to question, often rant, about the perceived problem but they have not even given HK the chance to see if there really is a problem, let alone give them a chance to correct the problem.
I see posts here questioning a problem, then a duplicate post on HK-USA forum. It seems to me the appropriate order is to contact HK first (and not on open forum boards) and give them a crack at it before spreading the word to the outside world of a defective product.
Then if a company doesn't stand behind their product, you are free, AND JUSTIFIED in letting them have both barrels and spread on the word on every open forum board of which you are a member.

OK, my rant over.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,854 Posts
First route of recourse should always be with the maker/seller!

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
All guns have a "crown" on them Dave, thats what affects how the bullet lets go from the barrel (some are very shallow, such as 11 degree target crowns, or 30 or 45 degree combat crowns)... From what i can tell, the USP/Mark23 has more of a 45 degree-ish crown.
Actually, all guns do not have a crown. The reason I asked is that I don't have a USP, but I did happen to have a P7 sitting here at my desk. I checked before I posted, and the barrel face is flat. There is no crown at all. There's a generous radius on the outer edge, but the face itself is flat.

But while I generally agree with checking with the mfg first, I also can understand why a lot of people will come here first. You can get very fast response, and maybe an understanding of why something went wrong. Also, you can't call up a mfg at all hours of the night and get a response, here you can.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Actually, all guns do not have a crown. The reason I asked is that I don't have a USP, but I did happen to have a P7 sitting here at my desk. I checked before I posted, and the barrel face is flat. There is no crown at all. There's a generous radius on the outer edge, but the face itself is flat.

But while I generally agree with checking with the mfg first, I also can understand why a lot of people will come here first. You can get very fast response, and maybe an understanding of why something went wrong. Also, you can't call up a mfg at all hours of the night and get a response, here you can.
Thats actually really weird... I suppose the P7 barrel steel may be hard enough to provide a good quality seperation, but i've never seen any gun before without an at least fairly pronounced crown. Guess theres an exception to anything :p

Big Bore, i know what you mean about the "person" from arizona...... Anything (even hearsay) about something thats potentially bad from CCF will be used as fuel... hopefully most people will take that persons opinion with a grain (or a few :p) of salt...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts