HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone's favorite "upgrade" for CCW night sights? I just acquired a brand new HK45C and am considering swapping out the factory sights for something a little more "age" friendly.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Mepro and Trijicon seemed to be the popular choices or you could paint the factory front sight with glow in the dark paint with a toothpick.

·
Registered
687 Posts
What is everyone's favorite "upgrade" for CCW night sights? I just acquired a brand new HK45C and am considering swapping out the factory sights for something a little more "age" friendly.
I've got some pretty wierd vision. I'm far sighted, and blurry as all hell shortsighted. (I think that's right, it confuses me.....closer up is blurry and doubled up!) Tho it's getting to where if I don't have my glasses on, I'm seeing a mass of blur at the front sight on short barreled pistols. (Time for lasic!)
What I've found with the fibre optic sights, is that it's a trade off. I personally can't see them well in bright light, but can at dim levels. Whereas with the factory glow sights on the p30/VP, I can see the front blade fairly well anytime. Especially if charged up. When charged, those things are SUPER bright! To the point that you can see them thru a thin material shirt, or in the shadows of my jacket!
So for me personally, I'm go with what Superstar said about the glow paint. Either green or orange. BUT that's not gonna charge, if you've got it in a holster carrying it.
HiViz are pretty good, tho I'd only go front blade. And I'd put a bit of white paint or whiteout on it, to help with daytime acquisition.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got some pretty wierd vision. I'm far sighted, and blurry as all hell shortsighted. (I think that's right, it confuses me.....closer up is blurry and doubled up!) Tho it's getting to where if I don't have my glasses on, I'm seeing a mass of blur at the front sight on short barreled pistols. (Time for lasic!)
What I've found with the fibre optic sights, is that it's a trade off. I personally can't see them well in bright light, but can at dim levels. Whereas with the factory glow sights on the p30/VP, I can see the front blade fairly well anytime. Especially if charged up. When charged, those things are SUPER bright! To the point that you can see them thru a thin material shirt, or in the shadows of my jacket!
So for me personally, I'm go with what Superstar said about the glow paint. Either green or orange. BUT that's not gonna charge, if you've got it in a holster carrying it.
HiViz are pretty good, tho I'd only go front blade. And I'd put a bit of white paint or whiteout on it, to help with daytime acquisition.
Thank you! That is what I wanted to know. I've read about Tijicon's HD that have the yellow or orange on the front and are also self-luminous, so no need to "charge" them.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Sights are all about you

Night Sights are all about personal preference.
Meprolight seems like the LE option and I like them on some Hk guns (USPT/USP Elite).
For Close Quarters Combat, often favor XS Big Dots (not surgical, but great flash sight picture).
And for some reason I can't explain Hk USPc, HK45c and P30SK - I like Heinie Straight Eights (go figure).

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thank you! That is what I wanted to know. I've read about Tijicon's HD that have the yellow or orange on the front and are also self-luminous, so no need to "charge" them.
Sure thing, no problem at all!
Now, if I remember correctly, and that's not always the case, old brain as well as old eyes, lol! But I THINK the lifespan on the self illumination is something like 7 years?
Me myself, I avoid yellow sights. They blend in too much with sunlight, plus I use amber tinted shooting glasses, so that even further obfuscates them. Green is preference for me, tho that's just a personal thing. But for me, green just shows up better, and puts more contrast to a red bulls eye.

Now, one thing I DO wanna mention, if this is a pistol being used for defense. Especially home defense. When you get them, check to see if the front of the sight (the one facing the business end of the barrel) is obvious from that side of the gun. If so, then put a slight piece of electrical tape or something over it, and try the sights again. If they work ok like that, do something to permanently cover them.
The reason is simple. If YOU can see those sights, then so can the BAD GUY. If the business end of the sights are blocked, they won't be as visible to the attacker(s) when you're pointing the gun.
Let's say that I was in a dark, stress situation. I see a little red, green, yellow, whatever glow moving around in the dark, that's the FIRST place the barrel of MY gun is gonna go for. ;)

Oh yeah, one more thing. Another member posted a few days ago that there is a seller on Amazon now selling prescription, bifocal shooting glasses. Top of the lense is supposed to be prescription, the lower part of the lense is not. Might help out some for recreational shooting so I thought I'd pass that on :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
I recommend mepros since they are the factory HK night sights. They work great and provide the classic 3 dot sight picture. Tritium seems to last and glow nice.

I do prefer the ameriglo bold sights on my factory Glock and my aftermarket truglo tfx pros on another pistol...but the truglo from mepro are pretty well proven and definitely do the job.

·
LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG
HK4 (4 cal), HK45T, P7PSP, P7M13, P30SKS, MARK23, SBRs: SP5, SP5K, Z5-RS, USC/UMP
367 Posts
Sights that use tritium for illumination have a half-life of about 12 years. That means in twelve years from now, you’ll have half of the luminescent power (emitted light) that you had the day the sights left the manufacturer. Twenty years out and its halved again to 1/4 the original strength.

Make sure that if your sights are aftermarket, you didn’t get some that sat of the shelf of Joe Bob’s Gunshop or some warehouse in their inventory for years. Also, the half-life I mentioned is for the green lamps in the sights. I seem to recall reading that the decay rate for orange sights is faster, so the phosphors that the tritium excites to make it glow probably decays faster than the green ones.

I ve got a set of Mepro sights (greenies) on my P7M13 that I installed about 25 years ago and I can just barely see them now in a dark room.

Also, if you use night vision, night sights can be a problem. Your PVS-14 only focuses at one distance. If you’re focused “out there” at a distance to see your target, night sights will be a fuzzy bright glowing blob. Dial the focus in to see the sights and it obscures distant objects. Better to use a laser or a NV capable dot with night vision.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I like the Heinie Tactical EZ Lock Ledge Straight Eights (#3950L). I have them on my VP9 duty weapon and will be putting them my VP9SK when it arrives. I like the simplicity of 2 dots. One above the other. Although some people like to run just a front tritium sight. I do like the front sight on my SIG 365. That green front sight really grabs your eye.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Trijicon or Meprolight, Heinie 8's are sweet, but I struggle putting the proper distance between the two dots in the dark.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sure thing, no problem at all!
Now, if I remember correctly, and that's not always the case, old brain as well as old eyes, lol! But I THINK the lifespan on the self illumination is something like 7 years?
Me myself, I avoid yellow sights. They blend in too much with sunlight, plus I use amber tinted shooting glasses, so that even further obfuscates them. Green is preference for me, tho that's just a personal thing. But for me, green just shows up better, and puts more contrast to a red bulls eye.

Now, one thing I DO wanna mention, if this is a pistol being used for defense. Especially home defense. When you get them, check to see if the front of the sight (the one facing the business end of the barrel) is obvious from that side of the gun. If so, then put a slight piece of electrical tape or something over it, and try the sights again. If they work ok like that, do something to permanently cover them.
The reason is simple. If YOU can see those sights, then so can the BAD GUY. If the business end of the sights are blocked, they won't be as visible to the attacker(s) when you're pointing the gun.
Let's say that I was in a dark, stress situation. I see a little red, green, yellow, whatever glow moving around in the dark, that's the FIRST place the barrel of MY gun is gonna go for. ;)

Oh yeah, one more thing. Another member posted a few days ago that there is a seller on Amazon now selling prescription, bifocal shooting glasses. Top of the lense is supposed to be prescription, the lower part of the lense is not. Might help out some for recreational shooting so I thought I'd pass that on :D
I will be using this HK for CCW and want something high quality, durable and a easy to pick up front sight in low light. You make a VERY good point about a "subdued" front sight! I often wonder how many people are running around with a "I'm here" sign on the end of their barrel! I know Trijicon is probably the gold standard, but I was wondering how some of the other high end sights (Heine, Novak, Wilson, etc.) compare.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have settled on Trijicon HD's, I like the yellow best. Fantastic for 63yr old eyes. They are rugged and are very visible in any light. I have four sets, the first three were a little sharp on the edges, though not a problem for me. However, many complain about this. My most recent ones purchased last Dec were not as sharp. Maybe Trijicon has smoothed the edges some!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Sights that use tritium for illumination have a half-life of about 12 years. That means in twelve years from now, you’ll have half of the luminescent power (emitted light) that you had the day the sights left the manufacturer. Twenty years out and its halved again to 1/4 the original strength.

Make sure that if your sights are aftermarket, you didn’t get some that sat of the shelf of Joe Bob’s Gunshop or some warehouse in their inventory for years. Also, the half-life I mentioned is for the green lamps in the sights. I seem to recall reading that the decay rate for orange sights is faster, so the phosphors that the tritium excites to make it glow probably decays faster than the green ones.

I ve got a set of Mepro sights (greenies) on my P7M13 that I installed about 25 years ago and I can just barely see them now in a dark room.

Also, if you use night vision, night sights can be a problem. Your PVS-14 only focuses at one distance. If you’re focused “out there” at a distance to see your target, night sights will be a fuzzy bright glowing blob. Dial the focus in to see the sights and it obscures distant objects. Better to use a laser or a NV capable dot with night vision.
Great info there UltraFudd! Thanks much for posting that! And yes, I completely agree to try to get them from a good retailer, so that you don't have some that have sat in a store room for 10 years or whatever.
Also agree about what you were saying about orange sights. For whatever scientific reason, the color red is not as durable a color, it tends to "wash out" or "decay" faster in some applications.

Jackrabbit - Yup! You'd be surprised at that.

Ok, can someone please let me know if I'm on the right mental path or not? I THINK I remember that the p30/VP series uses the same sights as the USP. I'm not real familiar with the 45's, do those use the same sights as the USP? Asking, to kind of expand Jackrabbit's purchasing options, if the models mentioned all use the same cut for installation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trijicon or Meprolight, Heinie 8's are sweet, but I struggle putting the proper distance between the two dots in the dark.
Are the factory HK TruDot's tritium? Who else makes night sights with tritium besides Trijicon?

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Are the factory HK TruDot's tritium? Who else makes night sights with tritium besides Trijicon?
HK uses the Meprolight Night Sights, they are marked TruDot.

Trijicon Night Sights are marked Trijicon.

Heinie Night Sights Tritium vials are installed by Trijicon and are marked Trijicon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts