HKPRO Forums banner

CCW: P7M13 or USP Compact .357 sig?

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  MarcDW 
#1 ·
I just got my CCW and I'm haveing a difficult time choosing which pistol to carry?

Any operators out there with advice on bullistics?
Which pistol will defeat car door or windshield barriers?

Thanks

#2 ·
I'd opt for the USPc. If I recall correctly it's lighter, it doesn't get as hot, and it doesn't have that collector value like an M13 (which I personally don't think matters, but ymmv). Granted, 9mm is much cheaper to train with, but that's just an excuse to get a USPc 9mm :)

#3 ·
I never answered phones, so I'm not really an operator, but here goes......:)

If you are looking for vehicle penetration, it is the one thing that .357 SIG is good for. As far as CCW, the choice on this is easy-USPC. The P7M13 requires exceptionally good and expensive custom leather to properly conceal as they are very butt heavy. I carried one for awhile back in the 80's, but relegated it to carry in a duty holster pretty quickly. On the other hand, the USP-Compact is one of the best concealment pistols out there. While I don't have much use for the .357 SIG round, the USP COmpact is a great platform. Spend some money and get some solid training with it.

The reality is that both are collectable (the M13 much more so). I would sell one or both (or if you can afford it keep them as pride of ownership guns) and invest in a combo of a P30 and P30L (one for carry and a twin set up with a SUREFIRE X300 for bedside duty), or a P2000 and P2000SK and invest in a solid training course to really run whatever platform you settle on. If you love the P7, get an M8 for carry, you'll be MUCH happier and relegate the M13 to home defense.

#4 ·
nyeti is correct, a P7 series gun is only as comfortable as the holster it rides in. Mine sits in a Del Fatti and it's a great choice for concealment and it distributes the butt heavy weight extremely well. There are other fine leather holster options as well. If you're not concerned with the "collectable" standpoint of the M13, I would carry it. IMO, the P7 series guns are the safest carry weapons in the world. I can't comment on the ballistic differences, but there's a lot of good defense loads in 9mm...as I'm sure you already know. Keep in mind, these are two completely different weapons, different manual of arms...so it's really what you're more comfortable operating and shooting.

#5 ·
I love my P7M8s and M13 and carry them daily. For CCW, they are hard to beat if you have the budget to afford them, the mags and a good holster or two. The M8 is probably a better pick though, unless you have large hands or feel the need for the extra five rounds in the gun instead of on your hip for a reload.

#6 ·
I carried an M13 for about seven years of my 15 as a cop. Its a great duty weapon; however, it is less so for concealed carry--mostly due to the reasons nyeti has already set forth. The M8 or P7 both make excellent weapons for concealed carry, as does any USPc, no matter the caliber. If your question is 9mm vs. 357 Sig, then I suggest you ask that question elsewhere, as it is not HK platform-specific and can be discussed in the premium section.

#7 ·
I carry a USP-C in .357sig,. I would suggest shooting the .357 sig (from any pistol manufacturer) before you buy it. If you do end up buying one (if you can find one) then I would tell you to spend a pile coin on good ammo & training. no matter what you buy an excellent holster is essential if you plan to CC, keep in mind clothing selection is a important factor.

#8 ·
My CCW is a P2000/sk .357sig

Several personal reasons:
1. I have 3 .40 cal magazines that use with Xgrip to extend the grip to meet bottom of magazine (fits hand better, plus holds more rounds than the sk mags.
2. There's a reason State troopers use .357sig, I don't claim to know all, but one IMHO, is the adavantage of a necked down cartridge has LESS potential to jam. Not that HK's have a jamming problem, but to me this was a big deal in a carry gun.
3. Knock down power
4. I love the sound of a .357sig round more than any other, It's just a HOT sounding round. When I go shooting at the range, half the time I'm approached asking what i'm shooting.

Here's an artical pros and cons .357 versus 9mm and .40.
III.C.2.q.6. .357 Sig

I wouldn't let cost scare you away or availability. Shoot 9mm for practice / warm ups etc. if you're going to go through hundreds of rounds. I'll usually shoot 50 or less w/ the sig per visit.

Good luck!

#9 · (Edited)
I carried both for years and I would always prefer the .357 SIG over the 9mm gun.
It's more a caliber question then the gun. The 9mm is IMHO too weak and I trust the .357 SIG.
Today I carry a HK P30 with a IGB conversion barrel in .357 SIG.
Perfect CCW and all around gun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.