HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, it has been cold out since i got my permit, so i have been carrying around my USPc 45/P30 in my inside jacket pocket... I want to start carrying with my comp-tac holster for my hard chromed P7M8 instead (that is until the HK45c shows up). I haven't found a good way to do this that allows me to actually sit down =) any secrets out there? I move around at my job a lot and am seated quit a bit plus am frequently in my car and I don't like having to keep taking the gun out and putting it back in everytime i go somewhere... is this just the way it is, or can this be done better? I have never been trained in this so may just not know what i am doing. I usually carry the gun IWB at about 4:00.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Unfortunately, no.

IWB hurts in the car unless I recline & play with the lumbar support.

I've had some comfort with the P7M8 @ 3:30ish in the CTAC

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it any better carrying it OWB?

·
Registered
260 Posts
is it any better carrying it OWB?
I mostly carry OWB; when I don't I use a CTAC. OWB is more comfortable and faster for me; IWB offers more concealment at the expense of speed and comfort. That's not to say that IWB is uncomfortable, but it is less so than OWB...at least for me.

My OWB rigs are primarily Comp-Tac... can't beat their stuff.

·
Registered
176 Posts
IWB / OWB is a real hassle when seated in a car. Since I drive quite a bit, I carry my compact in a 5.11 v-necked holster shirt that is covered over with a (one size larger than usual) western styled shirt with snap buttons.

I haven't found anything more comfortable for carry, nor faster to access when seated/strapped in a car.

Outside the car, IWB carry is preferred.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I carry OWB with a custom holster set at zero cant, which allows me to position the pistol forward from where the standard FBI cant would rest. The zero cant is a quick, no-nonsense OWB position...

Another alternative would be a custom cross-draw OWB holster, or get a left-handed FBI cant standard OWB holster and use it as a cross-draw. My back-up pistol rides in such a rig...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Personally, I have had no problems carrying an IWB, in the car or all day, etc. I have found that it has everything to do with the right holster and gun. The bigger and fatter the gun, the less comfy. Since I don't have either gun you have, I can only say that carrying a Browning Hi-Power IWB is very nice. These are very thin handguns; so probably much like the P7 wouldn't be bothersome at all. They key now is a good holster. Personally, I would go with something leather and of good quality. It seems allot of people here prefer the Comptac and such, and they look like good holsters, and not having one I can't say anything bad or good. The Comptac Minatour which has leather to the body, much like conventional leather IWB holsters seem like they would be pretty comfy. A search of "gun leather" in a search engine will yield a number of holster makers out there, and many make very good holsters. The trick is finding the best combination of good and fast since many makers have a turnaround time measured in years not weeks or months. Ebay also has some good stuff. Don't be affraid to spend over $75 (minimum). Like guns, in the holster business; you get what you pay for. Doing it right now will put you ahead in the long run, not having to dump the junk to buy the good stuff down the road. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Hey guys, it has been cold out since i got my permit, so i have been carrying around my USPc 45/P30 in my inside jacket pocket... I want to start carrying with my comp-tac holster for my hard chromed P7M8 instead (that is until the HK45c shows up). I haven't found a good way to do this that allows me to actually sit down =) any secrets out there? I move around at my job a lot and am seated quit a bit plus am frequently in my car and I don't like having to keep taking the gun out and putting it back in everytime i go somewhere... is this just the way it is, or can this be done better? I have never been trained in this so may just not know what i am doing. I usually carry the gun IWB at about 4:00.

Thanks in advance...
Since I have not compared my Colt 1911 full size or 92F to your USPc 45. I've carry both IWB crossdraw. Works for me. That's with no holster.

·
Registered
15 Posts
crossbreed

Try a crossbreed holster. It's the only IWB holster that I've tried that is truly comfortable. It uses a larger leather flat piece to act as a "girdle" that protects you from the gun and this thing just does not print.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have my CTAC adjusted so that I hardly notice it's there - usually at the 4:00 position. You may have to try a few holsters before you find your perfect fit - I had to make my own leather tab for the CTAC to get the gun low enough. The P7M8 is a pretty decent size for a CCW.

A real gun belt helped a lot, as did some new pants sized appropriately - I usually wear a 36, had to buy some 40's. I sit all day (sitting and wearing it now) and it's perfectly comfortable. You'll laugh, but I had to get different underwear, too! I always wore cotton boxers, but they kept getting bunched up by the holster...

The only thing where I'm ever uncomfortable is in metal/wood backed chairs in restaurants. I've found that sitting with the chair at a slight angle fixes that.

So yeah, I'd say it's possible... just might take a while to find that zen combo!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I'm sitting on my G26 IWB at about 4'oclock right now. It doesn't bother me any, although I prefer hip carry OWB more than any other method. My gun always stays holstered when entering and exiting the car. Different options for different people I guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts