HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to doing the CCW course & test here in Arizona. I would recommend it to anyone as a wealth of information and a good way to have better (current) information on carry laws in general. You can certainly gain an appreciation of what LE has to deal with on a day to day basis and what can go right and wrong on a shoot. Even if it goes right, it is still a hassle at best, or a legal nightmare at worst.

After the classroom part of the course, we went to a local range to do the shooting test. I took the P30LS in .40 with me and was confident in my ability to shoot it well and have no worries about function. I was amazed at what I saw from a variety of weapons and shooters. There were 2 HK's, mine & another guy (older marine, Viet Nam era chopper pilot) a USP, both of which performed flawlessly. There were wheel guns, other semi-autos and the basic mix you would expect from a mixed-demographic class. One of the first shooters had trouble with a .40 which jammed consistently after each two shots. Another had a snub nose which was a bit hard to shoot with the short sight radius. While everyone passed the firing portion of the test, I'm glad I had the P30 to use. I have NEVER had a failure to feed, fire or eject and after seeing what other folks were using, I'm very happy to have had a weapon which can be relied upon if the chips are down.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Good job taking that class and getting some education about your state and carrying in general. The P30 is a solid performer, and a very quality built handgun. It is amazing to me how many folks will show up to these type of classes, have their gun jam, or they cannot preform (I know you said everyone passes, but really; what were the standards?), and they just go about their merry lives feeling like they are prepared.

My best advice to you is to not let the training stop there, and to seek out more quality training with that HK of yours. Good luck, be safe, and congrats!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Don't forget your liability insurance. It's the one thing that not only tends to be left out of carry training classes, but also most LE training as well. Just like your firearm, prepare to use it and pray you never need to.

I'm curious about that USP in the other guy's hands. What model was it?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't know which model USP it was, as I didn't really get to handle it. I think it was just a basic model in .40 Smith, but I could be mistaken. The guy was very happy with it and obviously loved it (as do most HK people in general).

As to the shooting test, it was pretty easy. 5 rounds at 5 yards and 5 rounds at 10 yards, not timed fire, just stand and shoot. Regulation size silhouette target, so there wasn't much to it. Again, it is nice knowing that all you have to do is aim and fire, and the weapon will do it's job flawlessly. I can't imagine having to shoot a gun I don't trust implicitly with respect to accuracy, function and ease of use. For the difference of a couple of hundred bucks, why would you compromise with your life or the lives of your loved ones? For me the P30L is a wonderful weapon. I can't imagine anything better at this point. I just need to keep practicing with it to improve my skills. Thanks HK for a fine quality weapon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts