HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an email from CDNN with the weekly specials. Among the rifles was a JLD PTR 91 in 243 cal. It comes with a 18" fluted barrel,aluminum handguard and a scope rail. Can't get a link to work for some reason. I can forward the email to somebody and they could try to post a link. Anyway I've never seen/heard of these.These been around for a while or brand new? Thinking it's kind of a neat set up.Anyone heard of these? Feeding/reliability issues?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Ask for Marshall when buying from CDNN as he is the best guy to deal with!

·
Registered
732 Posts
nice, wish they would make a 7.62 x39 or a 223...
Well, Tiger, sometimes you get what you wish for. I talked to JD at PTR91, INc. a couple of weeks ago and he told me they are in development of the x39 version. He indicated that magazines were a problem at this point. But they are working on it.

Mine PTR in 308 is a real tack driver, so I asked about other possible versions such as a 22-250. He shied away from that one.

I'd do the 243 but it would burn more powder than I would like and the cost of components is higher generally in 6mm, and to try to find the more expensive 243 brass in the grass would be troublesome. As a handloader that would be a downside.

I've shot the V93 at some distance and achieved good groups. Actually, my girlfriend is the one who got the good groups, not me so much. (ugh). But the platform has demonstrated to me at least the potential for really good accuracy. The 10 shots in one inch she did at 100 meters demonstrated that the rifle has potential. The boolits were the 55 grain Hornady FMJ's, so one must ask what would happen with a dedicated varmit bullet and a more powerful scope than 4x? This is one of many experiments I hope to conduct as time goes by.

Anyways... I digress.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Well, Tiger, sometimes you get what you wish for. I talked to JD at PTR91, INc. a couple of weeks ago and he told me they are in development of the x39 version. He indicated that magazines were a problem at this point. But they are working on it.

Mine PTR in 308 is a real tack driver, so I asked about other possible versions such as a 22-250. He shied away from that one.

I'd do the 243 but it would burn more powder than I would like and the cost of components is higher generally in 6mm, and to try to find the more expensive 243 brass in the grass would be troublesome. As a handloader that would be a downside.

I've shot the V93 at some distance and achieved good groups. Actually, my girlfriend is the one who got the good groups, not me so much. (ugh). But the platform has demonstrated to me at least the potential for really good accuracy. The 10 shots in one inch she did at 100 meters demonstrated that the rifle has potential. The boolits were the 55 grain Hornady FMJ's, so one must ask what would happen with a dedicated varmit bullet and a more powerful scope than 4x? This is one of many experiments I hope to conduct as time goes by.

Anyways... I digress.
Very cool Stubbs! thanks for the info, I really don't like the 7.62x39 cartridge but will definately get one, just because :) if you get anymore info, please do lmk. would love to have a PTR in a lighter recoiling platform.

Both of my PTR's seem to be reasonably accurate and am very pleased.

really haven't gotten a chance to get groups on the V93, it shoots 3" to the right and has to go back to vector :(

not having good luck with zeroing clones, however the SW5 and PTR-F (newer prod) both zero fine.

batting 50% right now.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Did they give you an ETA on when the 7.62 russian will be available?

·
Registered
732 Posts
No, HKinak. But it sounded like it would be pretty soon. You can call JD there at PTR91, Inc. He'll fill you in.

That 243 looks just swell. Like I said though, a bit too much powder for the prairie dogs, but great for antelope and deer I suppose. I also don't care so much for that "rail" forend. And searching for my empties in high prairie grass is problemmatic. For the same general price I can get an AR clone that tosses empties right at your feet.

Man, I need treatment. Why am I thinking about purchasing another rig in another caliber right now?... sigh.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I think they have to stay with a short acton caliber. A long action such as a 22-250 would require a whole different reciever/bolt,etc. While I'm interested in a 91 in .243, a 7mm-08 would really get me excited.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think they have to stay with a short acton caliber. A long action such as a 22-250 would require a whole different reciever/bolt,etc. While I'm interested in a 91 in .243, a 7mm-08 would really get me excited.

actually the 22-250 hase roughly the same size casing as a .308 or .243.I don't know why that would require a long action.Maybe it's a higher pressure problem.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm thinking that maybe the 22-250 doesn't generate enough thrust to reliably unlock the action? I wonder how the 243 does it? Don't they shoot something like 60 grain bullets or the like?

As it is, I'll keep plugging at the doggies with my 308 from time to time just for grins!

Anybody ever actually shoot a 243 in this platform? How was it?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Any of you out there got an update on their new cartridges to be available?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts