HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 10.4in upper from Nefarious Arms. I'm using the buffer/spring that comes out of a MR556. Using steel case ammo it fires and extracts fine but is not picking up a new round. Do I need to go to an even heavier buffer/spring setup?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This combination had worked for me without any issues.
Weird. It seemed to be extracting just fine just wasnt grabbing another round at all. Was using just standard USGI mags. I emailed Nefarious Arms just to see what buffer/spring setup they recommended but am going to try a few different weights/springs. If anyone has any recommendations that would be greatly appreciated. From what I've seen here on the forums, folks like running the VLTOR setup, but I really don't feel like changing the buffer tube if I don't have to.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stop shoot steel case .223. Leave that sh*t for the commie guns
I would if it wasn't the only thing sub 50 cents per round haha. I find it very very unlikely it's the ammo causing this. And any rifle that can't run steel case ammo isn't a rifle worth owning IMO

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I would if it wasn't the only thing sub 50 cents per round haha. I find it very very unlikely it's the ammo causing this. And any rifle that can't run steel case ammo isn't a rifle worth owning IMO
in theAR pattern there is critical obturation and timing stuff going on that steel can throw out of whack. The AR is not designed around it while the opposite is true for the AK. Short stroking is a possibility and is the reason that DD had to have a cavernous 0.098” gas block on the commercial mk18 that pissed people off.

Look at ammo and mag first...in that order

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
in theAR pattern there is critical obturation and timing stuff going on that steel can throw out of whack. The AR is not designed around it while the opposite is true for the AK. Short stroking is a possibility and is the reason that DD had to have a cavernous 0.098” gas block on the commercial mk18 that pissed people off.

I'll try some brass ammo tomorrow and if that doesnt work then some different mags as well as lighter buffers/springs but this issue kinda blows my mind. The 416 should absolutely be able to run steel ammo in its current configuration unless something was done incorrectly on the gas system (which I highly highly doubt because it was Nefarious Arms who built it). I hope it's an easy fix

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

You were correct. Not sure why I even doubted it. Steel ammo is short stroking the gun. Brass works perfectly. I may try out a VLTOR A5...but honestly likely going to keep it as is and just run brass through it. Save the steel for some of my less cool guns hahah.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts